Assassin's Creed 2

Steve

I really liked the first Assassin's Creed although I can also understand some of the negative comments about it getting a little repetitive. I got a leaked copy of Assassin's Creed 2 a couple of days ago and it is much improved over the first game. There's a lot more stuff to do and a lot more variety too. I've been playing for 7 hours and I'm 26% of the way through the game and I haven't done many of the optional missions yet so the game is pretty big.

It's taken the crown from Uncharted 2 as the best single player game I've played this year. Uncharted 2 has better graphics (although AC2 looks great), but there's more variety in AC2, it's a lot more free roaming and the puzzles aren't so easy that a 5 year old could solve them.

If you hated the first game, you probably won't be swayed by this one, but if you liked the first game you'll love the new one. A definite buy IMO (and I shall be purchasing a legit copy as soon as it's released on the 20th).

Here's some of the stuff added in the sequel (*spoiler warning!*): -

There's a fast travel system, so no more riding a horse back and forth between towns.

You can now blend with any group and not just monks.

There's a money system. You can pickpocket anyone and search dead bodies for cash. You can also pay for improvements to one particular city that earns you cash over time (a bit like owning property in Fable 2). You can spend money on new weapons, clothing, artworks, supplies and so on. You can also throw money to distract guards and you can hire groups of thieves or prostitutes and send them to attack/distract guards and you can bribe people.

There are new weapons and different ways to carry out assassinations.

Certain buildings have hidden glyphs on them. If you can find a glyph, you can scan it which unlocks a puzzle minigame and if you complete that it unlocks part of a video called The Truth. There's 20 parts to unlock.

There are hidden tombs with difficult platforming sections in them. If you complete the section you are awarded a prize.

There are doctors located around cities where you can buy health packs and poison.

You can now swim, so no more instant death if you fall in the water.

You can buy armour. It gets damaged in battle and you have to pay to get it repaired.

If you get seen doing bad things your notoriety level goes up, and once it turns totally red, guards will attack you on sight. You can lower your notoriety level by removing wanted posters from walls or by bribing guys who are talking shit about you in the streets.

There are new types of guards. Some can outrun you and some can spot you even if you're hidden. The AI is better in combat too, so you won't be able to win every fight just using the block/parry combo like you could in the first game, although most of the basic guards can still be taken out like that.

There are day and night cycles.

You can purchase treasure maps that show you the location of all the hidden treasure in the cities.

There are race sections where a guy challenges you to beat his best time. You have to leg it across rooftops and stuff, going through various checkpoints. If you do it, you're awarded some cash.

There are 50 optional side missions where you have to carry out a variety of different tasks, for example, in one you have to go and beat the shit out of this woman's cheating husband to teach him a lesson, lol.

That's just some of it. All of the main controls are just the same as they were in the first game, so if you played that you can get straight into it.

• 4 weeks later...

I completed this earlier. What a shit hot game. I've got 960/1,000 achievements too, with just 2 left to get - finding all 100 feathers and wearing the Auditore cape in every city (which you can't do without finding all 100 feathers). It took me 27 hours, with all side missions, tombs etc. complete.

I love this game, I played it for like 10 hours straight...

So much better than the first one..

Love all the upgrades n such, im like 80% through, and still have all the feathers to look through n stuff ( Even though im not really looking forward to that part =P)

Although now for the moment I am hooked on left for dead 2 :p

and still have all the feathers to look through n stuff ( Even though im not really looking forward to that part =P)

Finding the feathers is a pain without a guide. I got stuck on 99, lol. I've just found the last one though and unlocked all the achievements for the full 1,000 gamer points. :d