Legal MP3 music download sites

Jon

I often find it hard to buy mp3 versions of tracks I want to play out and in the past I have had to result to file sharing sites in order to find the song i've been after. I thought it would be a good idea to list the sites everyone buys their mp3s from if they buy mp3s for djing or for home listening so that we all have a greater range of mp3 buying resources.

At the moment I'm using:

beatport.com <-dubstep/drum and bass

beatsource.com <- hiphop/reggae/dub

junodownload.com <- all genres

breakbeat.co.uk <-drum and bass

boomkat.com <- left field/experimental stuff

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

Bump to this. I used to buy regular singles through Amazon. Last I checked they did away with the mp3 cart and you could only buy a song one at a time which is miserable. There are some tunes I wanted to buy... just regular iTunes/Amazon shit. Any other options for a normal release other than iTunes or Amazon?

I too bought mp3s off of Amazon back in the day, but they were all shit. They claimed the files were 320 kbps, but after listening to them, they appeared to be compressed further (e.g. 128k), then boosted back up. They sounded ultra paper thin and distorted. Fuckers.

I'm definitely interested in buying (mainstream) tracks for DJing purposes, but they gotta be quality files. So yeah, if anybody knows where to buy them, aside from itunes/Amazon, I'm open.

Shit that sucks. I've never noticed issues but just do whatever their standard size is. I quit using iTunes because of libary/DRM restrictions. But likewise, looking for place to buy mainstream tracks both for just listening to and DJing with. 

I've never quite detached myself from iTunes, though nothing I buy there is super-niche. It seems pointless when I pay for Spotify Premium and can just use that for 99% of stuff, but I feel like I am supporting the artist better buying from iTunes even though I have no idea whether that is true.

• 1 year later...

Bump. Any new suggestions. Particularly for non-dj formatted tracks. I used to buy from Amazon but they are so stupid now they make it impossible. Not an Apple fan since they don't let you redownload.