Soul Calibur IV

Steve

I got hold of this game yesterday. Graphically it's really nice. There's plenty of characters too, and updated moves for a lot of the old favourites. I have the Xbox 360 version which features Yoda as a playable character (and very good he is too). The PS3 gets Darth Vader, although there are rumours that both will be available to both consoles via downloads at some point.

The only disappointing thing about it is the single player game. I used to like the challenges where you'd travel across the map taking on different people, but that's been replaced with a tower where you fight a couple of people on each level, then progress to the next level up. Also, the story mode can be completed in 10 minutes, no joke. It's 5 fights and you're done. You earn money as you win fights and you can spend that cash on unlocking characters (amongst other things). You earn money so fast that you can literally unlock everyone in less than an hour. There may be a lot of stuff I don't know about that I'm yet to unlock, but the single player mode is definitely a little disappointing. That said, the fun of this game is playing with your mates in 2 player mode, and that's where this game will excel.

I'm pretty sure there's no online play either, although there are leaderboards. There is a lot I haven't messed yet, such as creating and customising a character, or buying weapons and stuff, but overall I have mixed feelings about this one - Fucking great 2 player (or group of mates with beers) game, but not so good in 1 player mode.

I only had a quick glance. It's split into 4 sections. One that I looked it shows all the characters and how they're linked together, like a kind of family tree thing. It looks like there's a fair bit of content there if that's your cuppa tea. I'll have a better look tomorrow.

I was gonna download the demo off live the other day, didn't. There is this one 8ball pool game demo though, they let you play like 4 shots and then they cut you off, 4 shots wtfffff. Played the golden axe demo, they give you like 5 minutes of play which is better but fuck.

Shame about the lack of the quest mode (or whatever it was called). I loved that part of the second installment, unlocking characters/levels/costumes and such. Good to hear it's still great in multiplayer

You can still unlock stuff in the tower mode, but it doesn't tell you what you have to do. It'll show say, 2 chests which you can unlock, but you'll just have to keep repeating the level until you do whatever happens to unlock them. Definitely not as good.

• 2 weeks later...

been playing this all weekend on PS3. the art gallery mode sucks balls. why can't namco just do that right like they did on soul calibur for the dreamcast?

multiplayer is crazy but one problem i have is NO TEAM BATTLE!!!!!!

in tower mode and sometimes in story mode they even have a tag mechanic in the game. i never even expected tagging but they have it in the game. it's possible to do and i think it's pretty cool the way it works. why can't they allow this for multiplayer? bullshit.

darth vader is cool and kind of balanced. im hearing that yoda is really cheap on the 360 because of his size.

like steve said the tower mode is crap because you don't even know what to do to earn the chests. think about that for a second. i have to keep playing a level to meet specific requirments and i don't even know what they are?