be it known...

djdiggla

• 2 weeks later...

Got two more DVDs of new releases the other day! Gonna try and do some reviews after the DV battle is over.

Yup... Too much of a pain in the arse to up a whole DVD of mp3s every month. Join the mp3 pool. A mere $30/dvd. That's like the cost of 1 1/2 new CDs!

or buy em and stop the music industry completely fucking dying. home is where the heart is...

i might make this my new mission. name change to 'dv's very own self righteous cunt'?! actually don't

i guess we can all take the "who gives fuck" mentality. but really who gives a fuck.

the musick industry is going down the drain. fax iz fax. why would i pay for something when i could get it for free. tbh i was always against downloading illegally but after starting recently i got sucked into it.

you have ZERO motivation to go out and buy something if you can just click on it and then burn it to CD or stick it on your iPod. there you go no hassle whatsoeva.

the same as hardware vs. software thing. i remember when i first got into music production i just constantly read different forums on all the different tools. i knew nobody in real life who would tell me what to get so i just read shit on the net all day. people used to be mad against software saying you wouldn't get any "propa respek" if you were using fruity loops or reason. now everybody is using it and nobody cares. these are the same forums im going to.

and this isn't even that long ago. same thing with DVSeseses. first everybody is like "Long live vinyl" but now meh everybody uses that.

things change.

or buy em and stop the music industry completely fucking dying. home is where the heart is...

i might make this my new mission. name change to 'dv's very own self righteous cunt'?! actually don't

These are straight from the labels for DJ use only. So basically, they want you to get this for hella cheap and play at ur gigs it so people will buy the album or single. You r basically helping them market tracks. All legit.

As far as the music industry dying... I lost the little shred of sympathy I had when they started suing people for copy infringement for putting legally bought CDs on their ipods. Not uploading, not downloading, but merely using an item you bought and own within realistic bounds. Remember that the next time you rip a tune or a record. They REALLY need to pull their heads out their ass and realize what they are doing to their customers.

basically i have a really poorly constructed argument in general that leaves out loads of factors etc etc etc, i won't go too far into it. the thing is though, any industry is a grass roots thing. it's like miracle on 34th street, if noone believes, it doesn't exist. something as simple as not raping blogs and limewire for music you might like and instead buying one album and listening to it solid makes a massive difference, because you've exponentially changed the ratio between your illegal vs legal music. i reckon the problem with the marketing artists of major labels is it's too glam, there's a fallacy that there's a shitload of money in music and it's got people heading into it for the wrong reason and then becoming disillusioned. i think it's going to take a little while and a lot of willing, but the norm needs to change to people accepting that a tenner is a fair price to pay for a cd that's taken 100-200 hours' work. if some music is given away by artists, because their main drive is to make music for people to enjoy, but then some is sold in physical formats as well, i think we'd all benefit by basically placing faith in each other and saying 'yes, i do think what you're doing is worthwhile, and i am willing to subsidise your time in order to have this nice cd/vinyl in my hands and ears'. at the end of the day who didn't dub tapes off their mates? the difference is that when you had to have something or know someone in the first place, there was a sense of community there.

be it known that i'm no saint myself, and also remember that i said my argument was quite poorly constructed :p also that i was a bit drunk last night, heh.

^^True nuff

it's like miracle on 34th street, if noone believes, it doesn't exist.

FLOL... I might have to make that my sig

I personally buy shit-tons of music. I DL some stuff, but generally it's things I've never heard of or wouldn't have bought anyways. I wouldn't bother with limewire for anything but pr0n... Crappy rips of tunes everyone has anyways. I think most real music listeners would agree. Why even waste your time. Besides, like I said, if ur really into music ur not gonna find much of interest to DL outside of swapping a few albums with some friends.

I see what ur saying, but the market changed long ago. It's all about movies/advert revenue, touring, collectors items, merch, etc... can't DL that shit. Think of it like newspapers. Most don't even make you pay for the subscription anymore. I get the Wallstreet Journal for free. That's the premier newspaper in the US.

i've been well indignant lately, to be honest i don't know what i think i just felt like being a nob. or devil's advocate, to be political. i don't think sampling is in the same argument, or at least not the one i was trying to make, though.

i wonder when music tends to genuinely be considered public domain? it would be cool if things like california love and i got 5 on it (and generally songs known and sung by anyone aged 5 to 80) were made free in bits and bytes formats on account of the fact that if you want it, you almost certainly already have it somewhere, and if u don't you could easily go and get them from just about any shop that sells second hand music's variety bin. or, maybe, if they could do an 'essentials' collection, whereby a label, or a movement, or a subgenre, or time period, or whatever, of songs and albums is sold at a proper knockdown price, that would be super. especially if, with a conscience, it was all released in lossless and low loss formats too. or, how awesome would it be to buy like that in real format from a label or whatever. imagine if for instance big dada's recent well deep compilation wasn't a cd of the best and defining tracks of the label for £12, but it was a 10 album selection on the original cds for £30 or something. i would snap that up.

also i'm not going to say anything so self righteous anymore on account of me not having a leg to stand on and being a bit full of shit in that respect, to be honest

i wonder when music tends to genuinely be considered public domain?

70 years after the writer's death.

this is not always the case with older stuff because the rules weren't around then and people like the beatles got screwed over.

on the whole downloading tip. i think it's great. i can sample a whole load of artists that i normally wouldn't encounter and then i'll buy their shit if it's good and it's got dope artwork. yes artwork. i play most stuff on my iPod so i don't really care about shitty quality through my shitty headphones but if the artist has got a dope cover going on then im all over that baby like a pedophile.

the industry aint dying, it looks like it is but only cause the major labels are still trying to get their profits from a system that no longer works because the web makes it so easy to get stuff for free. theres a site that thats starting up now where you can upload your music and the user gets the choice of either paying you any amount of money they think the tracks worth, or they download it for free with a 10 second commercial at the begining of it (which can be nice and easy chopped off). This way the producer gets money either way, if its downloaded for free then the commercial industry has to pay like 3-5 pence per download.

this is the site thats doing this shit at the moment anyway, its still in its infancy but i recon this is the future of the music industry:

http://www.we7.com/welcome