Virgin Media's new traffic shaping policy

Steve

In effect in all areas now between 4PM and 9PM every day: -

Broadband Size: M - Download 300MB or upload 150MB - Speeds drop to 1Mb/128Kb for 5 hours

Broadband Size: L - Download 800MB or upload 325MB - Speeds drop to 1Mb/128Kb for 5 hours

Broadband Size: XL - Download 3,072MB or upload 1,250MB - Speeds drop to 5Mb/192Kb for 5 hours

They've also changed the broadband support line from a free number, to a 25p per minute, 10p connection charge premium rate line.

It's good that they've cut the time that traffic shaping is active from 8 hours a day to 5, but it's a bit shite that the L package gets lowered to the same speeds as the M package when it kicks in. Not so good counting uploads as well as downloads either. Also, be careful, because if you hit the limit at 8:59PM, your speed will be limited until 1:59AM the following morning.

I always get steady downloads at 470Kbps using Grabit, apart from when the traffic shaping kicks in obviously. That's on a 4MB connection. That's one good thing about cable, cos it doesn't matter how far from the exchange you are like it does with a connection via a phone line.

Rumour has it that VM will be increasing the speeds of all of the tiers next year, offering speeds up to 50MB. They're trialling it at the moment.

yeah i'm sure they'll be capable of some crazy speeds, they piss me off though...

when i was doing my home move in july i was told by someone that all lines were getting automatic upgrade by the end of august by one of the advisors, and then when i called someone about it the other day they said it was only if you paid for the higher package that you would get upgraded, so cos i'm on the 3 for £30 package it wouldn't be upgraded, so basically the guy just spun me a shityarn. my mate who's got the 8meg only pays about £20 for it, and i'm effectively paying £18 for 2meg.

and i'm effectively paying £18 for 2meg.

You get the XL TV package though don't you? Phone line rental is £11, so you're getting TV and 2MB broadband for £19. You should get one of those Eurovox boxes that I've got, then you get every channel for free.

• 4 weeks later...