US console sales stats for November 2007

Steve

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/14/nintend...rogram-for-wii/

Has anyone heard anything so insane? Demand for a console over a year on still outstrips demand so heavily that they're effectively running preorders again.

Does anyone remember the news reports six or seven months ago covering the fact that Nintendo was turning over more profit than Sony? Let me clarify that -not Sony Computer Entertainment -SONY. I'd imagine the situation must be pretty similar right now. I might go find out

tut here needs to be a balance

Multiple formats with damn near identical specs do nothing for the consumer amirite? Xbizzle and Piss have sold in roughly equal numbers and serve two very different purposes. Things look pretty balanced to me. More balanced than ever, if you ask me

Software: -

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) -- 1,570,000

2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) -- 1,120,000

3. Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360) -- 980,000

4. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PlayStation 2) -- 967,000

5. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) -- 564,000

6. Mass Effect (Xbox 360) -- 473,000

7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PlayStation 3) -- 444,000

8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) -- 426,000

9. Halo 3 (Xbox 360) -- 387,000

10. Assassin's Creed (PlayStation 3) -- 377,000

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune only managed 117,000 sales, yet it's regarded by a lot of people as the best game available for the PS3 right now. I don't see why sales were so low, unless it's because it's a brand new IP, compared to a sequel like Call Of Duty 4. Then again, Assassin's Creed did superbly, so fuck knows.

Multiple formats with damn near identical specs do nothing for the consumer amirite?

I think it's only bad if there are exclusive titles that you can't play cos you own the "wrong" console. Competition forces prices down and also forces companies to compete in terms of features. I bet the 360 wouldn't have got DivX playback if Sony hadn't signed a deal to have it on the PS3, because not so long ago MS were saying it wasn't a priority (being the format of choice for pirates and all), yet they've implemented it ahead of Sony.

Multiple formats with damn near identical specs do nothing for the consumer amirite?

I think it's only bad if there are exclusive titles that you can't play cos you own the "wrong" console. Competition forces prices down and also forces companies to compete in terms of features. I bet the 360 wouldn't have got DivX playback if Sony hadn't signed a deal to have it on the PS3, because not so long ago MS were saying it wasn't a priority (being the format of choice for pirates and all), yet they've implemented it ahead of Sony.

Good points there. But with an emphasis strictly on games, I've always felt that almost without exception cross platform titles suffer as a result. Plus it drives development costs through the roof -but having said that, dev costs for todays consoles are already staggering

Official sales stats from NPD: -

Wii - 981,000

360 - 770,000

PS2 - 496,000

PS3 - 466,000

DS - 1,530,000

PSP - 567,000

Nintendo is killing it, even while supply constrained. The poor PS3 got outsold by it's predecessor once again.

not surprised by the Wii sales, but wild that sony is still selling so many ps2s!