WTF is tor and why wont it work for me?

Face Melt

i have no idea what a proxy is and just downloaded this thing so i could log onto a site that had banned my IP.

anyway im running firefox and they have a tool bar for enabling and disabling the program but whenever i enable it i keep getting error landers when i open a page.

the funny thing is that i now can log onto the site where i was previously banned even though i uninstalled tor and there is an icon at the bottom of my internet window that says "tor disabled".

im just wondering what the hell is going on because i know nothing about computers.

Tor was initially a military project, it is still widely used by the US military and many nodes are maintained by them. Exit nodes are vulnerable to traffic analysis as the last node decrypts the data as it flows to it's final destination. I wouldn't be trusting anything tor related.

Oops I farteyed.

Yes actually. nph CGI proxies

Pop this into google:

inurl:nph-proxy.cgi

The results will be free cgi proxies for you to hide your skinny little ass. Remeber most of these proxies have logs of who has used them at what time, so ultimately you can still be discovered. Your speed will depend on the amount of users using the proxy at the time you requst the page, so a different proxy might be faster at certain times.

There are traditional proxies running on port 80,8080,3128 out on the net(squid,netcache etc), but these are not for public ppl to use unless specifically stated. So unless you're a hacker then cgi is it mate.

Example:

http://enzian.gebirgsverein.at/proxy/nph-proxy.cgi

Go there and enter this site: www.whatismyip.com and your IP will be different.

You aren't Superman now though.