Most Xbox 360s not 1080p -- class action suit?

djdiggla

...I don't know if this is true, but rumor has it there is gonna be a class action lawsuit again microsoft b/c most 360s are not 1080p like promised/advertised! They are only 480 and then stretched somehow to give the impression of 1080p. Supposedly 1080p is ONLY possible with HDMI (I have heard various opinions about this and am by no means an expert).... All the new 360s are HDMI but not mine! I know my TV will not support the 360 in 1080p... and now I know why---it doesn't exist! 1080i works for some reason tho.

http://www.playthree.net/2007/04/halo-3-10...-360-elite.html

Some TVs are capable of supporting 1080P over component cables. I think MS would win any lawsuit based on that. Some of the games do play in full 1080P, but Halo 3 is rendered at 640P and then upscaled. It is all a bit misleading.

Strange....

I knew most games couldn't support it but I'm mad for movies... altho I guess most DVDs arn't 1080p either... hmm.

I'm still a little pissed that I bought a brand new TV and can't even use my HDMI input. I'm also not very happy that (from what I hear) the P3s might no longer gonna be backwards compatible. So if you want one (like I do) buy it now!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2099538,00.asp

ps3 will still be b/c but using software emulation like the 360.. not hardware using the emotion chip from ps2. regular 360 can do 1080p over component, and the elites have hdmi out. it's all upscaling though, none of the games are native in 1080p anyways so don't trip. just get the vga cables for 360's and ps3 for hdmi.

Strange....

I knew most games couldn't support it but I'm mad for movies... altho I guess most DVDs arn't 1080p either... hmm.

I'm still a little pissed that I bought a brand new TV and can't even use my HDMI input. I'm also not very happy that (from what I hear) the P3s might no longer gonna be backwards compatible. So if you want one (like I do) buy it now!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2099538,00.asp

The PS3 will still be backwards compatible, it just won't have the Emotion Engine chip from the PS2 in it. All models sold in Europe are already like that, and have been since the PS3 was launched. The emulation is done via software instead.

DVDs play at 480p (or 480i if your DVD player can't do progressive scan). The Xbox 360 upscales DVDs (as it does with some games) to up to 1080p, but it's not the same as playing HD content natively at that resolution. If you want true HD movie playback, get a PS3 or buy the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

^^that's good to know... I kinda worry about the software emulation tho--I have a friend that crashed 3 360s playing halo 2... So that's freaked me out enuf to not even try xbox titles on the 360... I also like a lot of the less popular/cheaply made games and wonder if the makers will even waste time on em... BTW-the new 360s all have HDMI, with the old it's only the elites that do... like any tech, I guess u get boned for getting on board early. I got the vga cables for the 360 and tried to set it at 1080p but it does not show anything and so the highest I was able to set the 360 was to 1080i... which is good enuf , I guess...

^^

but if removing ps3 backward compatibility makes it cheaper to produce

and sell thats a good thing

you could still pick up a ps2 cheap as chips for 100% backwards compatibility

True nuff... and I've thought about doing that.... about $100 from what I've seen.

or buy the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

OHHHH! I always wondered what that was for! I thought it was a stand alone DVD player.

I kinda worry about the software emulation tho

Sony have a backwards compatibility list on their website. You can see which games work perfectly, which have issues, and which don't work at all. To be fair, it seems like they've done a good job of getting games to work, and new firmware updates will improve things too.

the P3s might no longer gonna be backwards compatible

I stand corrected on this. Sites I'd read were speculating that they were removing the Emotion Engine, but keeping the software emulation. It turns out that you're correct - they are removing backwards compatibility from the cheaper version of the console altogether, as confirmed in the press release I posted in the thread about the 40GB PS3.