Firefox eating my cpu

Dan

Does it happen at a specific time or is it all the time? If it's all the time it's probably a bad install. If it's site specific then it can be to do with the way Firefox handles RSS feeds. This is used by news sites and such, one example being........

http://www.bloglines.com/

.......it's a rare occurence though and is very site specific.

Just do as Dee says and totally remove it and reinstall.

Dont ya just hate formatting? You spend ages getting everything EXACTLY how you want it, then something goes terribly wrong and u have to start all over again, its like going from a red ferrari back to a red nova. Firefox always seems to run fine for me, haven't noticed any cpu hogging..yet

Guest Deeswift

Firefox always runs lovely for me too, never had a single problem in over 1 year. Sorry tdo, dunno what caused that, but I reckon it'll run fine if you try again.

I know it isn't directly related to your question, but I've found FF to be significantly poorer than IE on older machines with low specs, in particular memory. FF is much more memory intensive than IE, I guess it keeps larger caches for faster browsing, and more of them in local memory.

For older machines, stick with IE IMO.

Guest Deeswift

Hmmm... not sure about that. IE uses less because it's part of the OS, so it's bound to use less resources, but whether it's worth keeping it because you have an older machine, I disagree.

Welcome to the new board, btw Liam.

Basically because IE is integrated so strongly into XP, the overheads are much smaller, so on a limited system, IE wins hands down.

Sorry Dee, I know you like FF and generally that is the better browser, but this is my experence after months of being confined to a PIII 733 /w 64MB RAM (shared with onboard graphics!) for the last few months because I haven't had the moolaaa or inclination to fix my main PC

I'd have preferred to be using FF all that time, but in some instances FF would grind to a halt whereas IE would not, so there was no competition

Edited by Liam