Mixes in mp3 format

Steve

Has anyone found a decent solution for burning mixes in mp3 format with no gaps between the tracks? I tried using two Winamp plug-ins with a stacker but it crashed the program. The idea was to use mp3Splice followed by the Disk Writer plug-in to write a large gapless wav of the whole mix to the hard drive for burning. The mp3Splice plugin works perfectly for anyone using Winamp BTW - No gaps or clicks in between tracks. I've also tried Foobar2000 but I had no success with that either. No matter what I use there is always a slight click in between each track. :angry:

I thought you already worked out how to do this in adobe audition?? Just save as wav instead of mp3.

I tried to do this the other day actually... I followed the steps in your guide but the cue points would not "batch"

I clicked the button but nothing happend :s

I don't mean chopping up your own mix mate. I mean when you download a mixtape and it's 20 or more mp3 files. If you open one of the mp3s in Audition, you'll see the little gaps at the beginning and end. The only way to do it is manually cut each gap out and then save as a wav and that's painstaking. There must be an easier way to do it!

Before you clicked Batch, did you highlight all the cue points again? If you don't do that then nothing happens. It does work, cos myself and M-Style have done it many times. He uses Audition 1.5 and I use CEP 2.0.

Yeah isn't it just? I started messing about with that D-Styles Euro mix and I got well pissed off after about 6 tracks and gave up. I've searched on Google but nobody seems to have a solution that works, except the one I've already tried but it crashes for me.

I know this is one very annoying issue with MP3's and I can't find or think of a way around it either. That's why I always make my mixes as 1 complete track. I'm going to look into this.

Try the Winamp method. I dunno why the program crashes when I try it - it causes an invalid page fault. All you need is Winamp, the mp3Splice plugin and an output stacker: -

.:. MP3SPLICE .:.

.:. OUTPUT STACKER .:.

Install both, then all you do is select the output stacker as your output plug-in. Configure it so that it uses mp3splice first (so the files play seamlessly) followed by the disk writer plug-in that comes with Winamp (to write the audio to the hard disc). That should give you one big wav that plays perfectly which you can then burn.

The ONLY way to get gapless MP3 is to encode using LAME and use a player that can look at the LAME headers and determine the true split points. MP3 itself is not natively gapless, but can be handled in a gapless way providing it has the LAME headers intact.

Foobar2000 is the only Windows based software that can do this.

You can also burn a gapless cd from within Foobar by just highlighting all the tracks > right-click > burn audio cd.

This has worked for me - the only true gapless MP3 solution I have ever found.

Yeah true, before I discovered you could get gapless MP3 I encoded my entire cd collection to .ogg anyway. So if you have rips by other people you just have to hope they used LAME, if not, it's not possible unless you want to decode to .wav and edit by hand in an audio editor.

I suppose it is karma's way of punishing you for downloading MP3 files!

Does Foobar2000 have a disk writing plugin? I know it can play back mp3s with no gap the same as Winamp can. You could do what I mentioned above only with Foobar. Someone else on another forum insists it works with Winamp, but it just kills the program when I try it.

I never got Winamp to play back gapless, regardless of plugins used. In any case, true LAME headers are the only 'proper' way of getting gapless playback. Any other method will probably do a combination of taking out silent areas or quick fading (like some portable mp3 players do).

Yeah Foobar has disk-writing ability. Like I said, bring in the LAME encoded files, highlight them, right-click > burn audio cd. Worked for me.

Guest Deeswift

Good to see you Deft.

The recent versions of foobar2000 have been dope. I was suprised a couple of days back when I was playing some audio (Marvin Gaye -- What's Going On) and foobar played it back perfectly, totally gap free. I have never found another player that can do it. An album like that where all the tracks flow into each other needs to be gapless, cause the split second space drives me nuts.

Sigma, improvements can be made to mp3 with mp3DirectCut. Most of the time all gaps can be removed.

LINKAGE

BTW, the FB2K disk writer worked really well for me.

I never got Winamp to play back gapless, regardless of plugins used. In any case, true LAME headers are the only 'proper' way of getting gapless playback. Any other method will probably do a combination of taking out silent areas or quick fading (like some portable mp3 players do).

Yeah Foobar has disk-writing ability. Like I said, bring in the LAME encoded files, highlight them, right-click > burn audio cd. Worked for me.

That's really strange, I've never seen mp3splice fail to work correctly