Wireless router recommendations?

Steve

I might be misunderstanding, but how does the software firewall on your PC affect the WIFI on another device? Surely it is connecting to the router rather than through your PC? I might be being thick though.

I have no idea mate. All I know is, I can plug in the USB device, and if Sygate is turned on, the DS won't connect. Turn Sygate off and it works great. It even works fine with the Windows Firewall enabled, as long as Sygate is off.

Oh wait a minute - the USB thing plugs into your PC, as the DS already has wireless built in? Therefore it connects through your PC effectively. I thought you had got a separate wireless router. Am I understanding it now?

Yeah, that's it. I decided not to bother with a router in the end.

Right click the wireless icon in the system tray (bottom right)

Press status

Click the 'support' tab

Tell me what's written in the 'Connection status' box and I'll take you through it. A little info on the equipment you're using to connect might be helpful too.

address type: assigned by DHCP

ip address: 192.168.1.67

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

default gateway: 192.168.1.254

using the bt homehub and a hp pavilion laptop with inbuilt wireless.

cheers mate

The wireless throughput is pretty shit in my flat. My main PC which is connected via ethernet can push through at 15mbit, whereas the other pc via wireless doesn't get much over 2mbit throughput even though it is connected at 56mbps or whatever the g standard allows.