Controller One Video

Jon

yeah if they actually want people to think about buyin it give it to someone decent to play around with....

and the only people who'll be interested in buying one can already understand a whole lot more than the shamefully poor video shows, in a patronizing way, just repeating the same shit so we "get" the idea...

xanders just annoyed coz he's got no pre-books...

Guest Vekked

I had a dream I found a controller 1 last night and I was busting the illest tone solo's ever on it, and I was using the transform note buttons... I was so next level, I can't wait until I find one of these in real life.

that new video shows the difference between musicians and technicians imo- the bloke was doing 33/45 tone stuff when there's a whole octave of buttons. The Controller One could be used very effectively as a musical instrument that doesn't sound like any current musical instrument- to analogise, you can still play mary had a little lamb on a synth the same as a piano, but on the synth you can mess with the envelopes, filters and so on to make a 'unique' sound. If it's done right, this 'next gen' turntable will be able to be used as an instrument in a song in the same way any other instrument is- to make a sound that only it makes- and that's just not being touched upon with these demos. It strikes me that Vestax commissioned this out of homage to the DJs that have helped them make them so popular, without really understanding its potential themselves...

to start with, i play the piano, its my first instrument and playing with the buttons on the side of the controller one would DEFINITELY allow somenext level shit. yeah, ok, not everyone plays piano here, but then, not everyone has special mixers with samplers and all the other complex shit in them. i think ofr music differently. i like to 'play' the music as i'm creating it, i think it comes from the piano aspect of my musical understanding AND changing tones precisely, fast and with extra areas to 'bend' pitches, retune pitches and a choice between foot and hand control over pitches leads me to imagining some crazy shit. 2 contoller ones, 2 busy feet and 2 busy hands!

THOUGH, if i could change some initial ideas i would have:

1. made sure there could be variable pitches which could be assigned to the notes (for example, indian rag, iranian dastgah, modern eighth tones)

2. a nice loopin action in which a section of a record (big or small) could be recorded for length of time/rotations and then could be played in continuous motion of backwards and forwards. sounds strange, i know, but it would be a great feature (considering the £1000 price tag on the deck)

then again, i have been told recently that i take all of this turntable business all too seriously.but fuck it, i love it.

if anyone has two controller ones... can i be your friend???

x sQQQratch x

Edited by etch-a-sqratch

yeah, similar thoughts here - if you could save your own pitch presets for each button it would be ace, otherwise we'll just end up with a bunch of chromatic boredom being produced

if it had a built in sampler which could be pitch manipulated with the buttons that'd be wicked too

also, is there any way to change the glide between notes?

I'm not sure I get this turntable as an instrument thing.

Is'nt it about cutting up records, digging, making people

want to party.

Is'nt it losing sight of what it is, you can blow into a

milk bottle and it makes a sound but I would'nt call

it an instrument.

Whatever floats your boat.

I just like the original idea of scratching cause you like

the sound of scratching. Or cutting two records together

because it sounds funky.

Primitive maybe but that's the history of it I just think

it's trying to make it something it's just not.

I will probably be grilled alive for this.

I'm not sure I get this turntable as an instrument thing.

Is'nt it about cutting up records, digging, making people

want to party.

Is'nt it losing sight of what it is, you can blow into a

milk bottle and it makes a sound but I would'nt call

it an instrument.

Whatever floats your boat.

I just like the original idea of scratching cause you like

the sound of scratching. Or cutting two records together

because it sounds funky.

Primitive maybe but that's the history of it I just think

it's trying to make it something it's just not.

I will probably be grilled alive for this.

I hear what you;re saying, and i don't think you'll be grilled about it. It when people say its pointless, that its taking it too far or that you need to learn the whole history of music to play it is when people get upset.

Instrumental skratching and tones are just a different side/progression of the original skratch. thats all. We need variation in everything in life. Without it, everything would be the same! But i would argue that the turntable is an instrument. Its just a very unique instrument. I think it was equipment until the DJ came along and started mixing which has developed so far throughout tablism into the controller one.

x sQQQratch x

Instrumental skratching and tones are just a different side/progression of the original skratch. thats all. We need variation in everything in life. Without it, everything would be the same! But i would argue that the turntable is an instrument. Its just a very unique instrument. I think it was equipment until the DJ came along and started mixing which has developed so far throughout tablism into the controller one.

That's cool an all that, push the envelope.

As long as it does'nt become elitist,

for example Fine Art is treat with contempt

by most of the general public because of it's

progress into what it is today.

Most people can't relate to it, I suppose it will be

interesting to see what the future holds for the

idea of the turntable as an instrument.