Ripping CDs to an iPod is illegal

Steve

What about this to get a referendum on the law- everyone who has ever done this, or music backing up at all, own up and go to court... the courts would be fully booked up for about a million years, surely that's an an example of it being an untenable law...

I don't know how law works.

What about this to get a referendum on the law- everyone who has ever done this, or music backing up at all, own up and go to court... the courts would be fully booked up for about a million years, surely that's an an example of it being an untenable law...

I don't know how law works.

Ain't that the truth

Instead, every so often some poor bastard gets a nasty fine and made a scapegoat -usually because their 13-year-old has sat on the family PC running Limewire 24-7 copping the latest Linkin Park.

We'll probabbly end up with laws as daft as cannabis laws, with up tp 40GB considered like an 'eighth', for 'personal use' and you'll get at most a caution, but being caught in posession of more landing you in caught for trafficing of illegal files.

The law is an ASS.

Instead, every so often some poor bastard gets a nasty fine and made a scapegoat -usually because their 13-year-old has sat on the family PC running Limewire 24-7 copping the latest Linkin Park.

Did you know that under the terms of the DMCA, the RIAA can get a court to issue a subpoena to somebody with no evidence whatsoever? Fuckers.

The law in this case is definitely bullshit. How is it infringing on an artist's copyright if you have paid for their CD and all you wanna do is listen to it on your digital music player? What is the copyright owner actually losing when you do this? Are they suggesting that you should pay again to download the tracks from iTunes or whatever? If so, that's complete and utter shite.

D'you reckon , that one day in the future it'll be impossible to down music off the net, you know,tek advance n stuff and gaining the ability to put a stop to it... I say bag as much as you can while you can..

I think it's just as likely that we'll see methods of totally protecting privacy when sharing data over the web. People are working on it. The computer "hacker" is always one step ahead which is why the threat of huge fines has to be used, rather than a technological method of protecting data.

Did you know that under the terms of the DMC, the RIAA can get a court to issue a subpoena to somebody with no evidence whatsoever? Fuckers.

i always knew tony prince was a cunt

D'you reckon , that one day in the future it'll be impossible to down music off the net, you know,tek advance n stuff and gaining the ability to put a stop to it... I say bag as much as you can while you can..

I think it's just as likely that we'll see methods of totally protecting privacy when sharing data over the web. People are working on it. The computer "hacker" is always one step ahead which is why the threat of huge fines has to be used, rather than a technological method of protecting data.

I used to share a house with a computer science graduate, smart guy. He once explained to me exactly how the next generation of CPU's would feature embedded technology that would effectively allow software coders to very effectively prevent the use of cracked software, and effectively stop P2P activity; very convincingly too, I might add... it all sounds very ominous on paper, but I don't believe it can ever happen. Such a technology would be hugely unpopular, any firm foolish enough to embed such technology into a device would run themselves into the ground: nobody would buy it.

Would you upgrade your system to a chip that prevented you from filesharing? HELL NO, what home user in their right mind would.

I firmly believe that behind closed doors, companies like Microsoft actively encourage piracy. Software like Windows and Office are barely protected at all... doesn't this seem a little odd to you?

Bill Gates has been often quoted as saying he'd prefer that PC users ran a cracked version of Windows than used Linux... quite shocking when you think about it. But sound business thinking. Users fluent in Windows at home are in their native enviroment at work. It shocks me to see places like hospitals STILL using Windows to perform all their tasks, and the only reason I can possibly think of for it is because it would take considerable effort to retrain Nurses to use a Linux platform -despite the fact that it would be a more effective, less vunerable and economically advantageous move to do so.