reverse chirps

Huw

You mean like a chirp where you use the end of the sample as the start point / tip?

I stumbled across that one too, but while I was messing about with the reverse button on my TTX. I hit reverse, then held my hand on the opposite side of the records, same side as the needle, and scratched normally like that. It was a bit strange, as you have to think about your samples backwards.

Never tried it with the rec playing forward though - might give it a go now.

EDIT

OK, it sounds a bit weird with 'Ahhh', as the sound gradually fades in. Played forward it has a sharp attack, so it sounds excellent for chriping.

Huwbeanie, why don't you try flaring the sample from the end, but gradually increase your pullback, while keeping the forward push the same. This way, you end up doing fading-in flares - kind of a cool technique, and is the only way to do fades without using the upfader.

I find it doesn't sound as good with just straight up chirps.

Double post - my bad (but fuck it - I'm a VIP...what ya gonna do? :shades_smile: )

Here's an audio clip to better explain what I mean - it's a bit sloppy, but you get the gist.

I go...

Play sample

Fade-in one-click flare

Play sample

Fade-in one-click flare

PLay sample

Fade-in two click flare

(stutter)

Fade-out 2 click flare

Fade-in 2 click flare

Play sample

Fade-out 1 click flare

Fade-in 1 click flare

The fade out flares are just the same as the fade in flares, except the forward push on the rec is longer than the backwards pull.

Wanna really step up your chirps?! I been doing them on both sides of a sample. The AAAH sample from super duck breaks 2 is short and I am able to do a chirp on the front and end of the sample as an orbit. Like forwad chirp to reverse chirp and repeat.

I also have a Flirp variation I do thats a chirp on one end and a flare on the other.

http://www.oshuncreation.com/gabrielMusic/FlirpExample.mp3

The audio file:

1st starts with a section of chirps.

2nd a section of 1 click flares.

3rd is 3 sections of Flirps at different speeds.

4th is a small setion of like a chirp release.

BTW Please note that I start my Chirps and Flirps on a backwards record movement.

Dont forget about the "ghost clicks!" Its the red circles.

The black dots are your "clicks."

(ghost click is the idea of creating two sounds by a record changing directions [creating 2 sounds], or by a record changing directions at the tip of a sample using the silence prior to the sample as the click.[creating 2 sounds])

Edited by gabrielsaint

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your transcript actually show a 1-click flare orbit?

I don't know what the proper definition of a flirp is, so I guess I could be wrong. But if I'm reading your diagram correctly, it's just how I do my 1 click orbits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your transcript actually show a 1-click flare orbit?

I don't know what the proper definition of a flirp is, so I guess I could be wrong. But if I'm reading your diagram correctly, it's just how I do my 1 click orbits.

The record movement and the fader movement ARE the same as a 1 click flare. Its the sample placement thats different. Instead of hearing the sample change directions on the backspin you hear the sample end and begin again creating the chirp.

a flare sounds like: waka waka wak waka

Chirp: thipa thipa thipa thipa

flirp: thipa waka thipa waka

Its like half a chirp half a flare. Same movement as a flare but different sample placement.

I think you're right there, if I have my terminology correct:

I don't think that's a flirp. I appreciate starting it offbeat gives the pattern a different sound, but it is still just a one click flare. Flirps are a fully different technique IIRC.

I don't think that's a flirp. I appreciate starting it offbeat gives the pattern a different sound, but it is still just a one click flare. Flirps are a fully different technique IIRC.

You gotta take into account the ghost click!

Truth is, you should be practicing all cuts forwards and backwards.

It sounds stupid, I mean, a flare is the same back and forward, right? WRONG. Try both, the sound will be different, and not just because of the part of the sample you're using, the way yur hands move will be slightly different too, thanks to the platter motion.

But, yes, cutting back-to-front is hwardd

Well of course I could. If the sound is a continuous tone it will not sound any different depending on the direction it's going in - obviously with ahhhhhhh it will sound different cos the sound changes.

Besides, what is a reverse baby? How can you reverse a forward and back motion with no fader? What do you get then? - a back and forward motion which is the same thing.

You gotta take into account the ghost click!

...eh? That ghost click is still present in a one-click flare (which is what the scratch you notated is) whether you start it on or offbeat

Guest Deeswift

AAAARRRGGHH!!

All these descriptions and shit are annoying. Just fucking cut. If it sounds good, cool, but if it doesn't SHUT THE FUCK UP!

...eh? That ghost click is still present in a one-click flare (which is what the scratch you notated is) whether you start it on or offbeat

In a 1 clicker you hear the record change directions on both ends of the flare. On this diagram the sample runs out at the begining of the flare creating the silence. You can hear it in the audio file.

Edited by gabrielsaint