Does DVS improve or hurt the "sound" of scratch music?

Jam Burglar

Guest Symatic

Also, I haven't messed around with DVS long enough to notice, but with scratching on wax, if you speed up the record the volume increases. This ads natural dynamic range to scratching. Does DVS act this way too?

it seems to happen a little on dvs, but not as noticable as on vinyl. i think it also has something to do with the fact the stylus is actually moving with more energy when the record is moving faster, as it rattles around in the groove more, and i tihnk that movement would translate into greater magnetic charge being generated in the magenets in the cartridge, which would turn into stronger signal....

Guest rasteri

I reckon if a company decided to actually study the physics of scratching they could make DVS sound 99% as good as real vinyl. Just nobody really cares enough to do it.

Surely it is just an algo like time stretching, if some bright young spark created the ultimate scratch algo as a library or API/SDK or su h like the time stretching companies, all the DJ apps would just buy the licence and use it, thats what they do, they dont actually invent anything themselves.

Start a kick starter Rasteri haha

For me the difference is as simple as a double-time chirp. I just can't make SSL/SDJ translate correctly pitch variations when doing such chirps, end of story.

For juggling though, DVS is a godsend gift. It's impossible to calculate the ammount of money it saved me from rebuying double copies of the same records again and again.