Standalone dvs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

This is fucking GREAT man! This is exactly what I wanted to do but never got anywhere with because I never had the time to go much beyond installing Linux on an old laptop to start to understand it ...and because I don't know shit about shit so it would've taken me forever :d !

• Like 1

Well I emailed Daniel and their aim is making the installation straightforward due you are not alone in this issue my friend. :d

So just burn the distro into sd, put it in the raspi (v3) and run!

It's time to check if uca 222 or something similar is alsa compatible and suitable for the project (someone pointed me that the behringer has hardwired cue so the noise from dvs will be below the music).

I will be doing tests on this as soon as poss, i will start to test out as many audio interfaces as i can, obviously looking in to some custom teensy controller to get rid of the touchscreen and keyboard bizzo too.

After that, the next step is to work out what deck is easily accessible (IE Cheap) and usable, with enough case space to fit the custom controls.

I'm sort of the mind set that you don't really need that many controls.

• Like 1

Yeah trere was an oliffson one for the v1... maybe there is some update o new ones. I see this perfect for one deck so no need for usb and miltiple outputs for basic featurings. In the other side I will love to see one day materialized the turntable groovebox (something like a remix deck in standalone format) and them it will be cool dedicated outputs.

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, they made reference to i2s on pideck (see point 3). I'd like to see exactly what they used for this test. I might have missed it, but I didn't notice it when looking on the site.

You will need:

1. A recent Raspberry Pi (only Pi 3 model B tested so far) and power supply. First generation Raspberry Pi's are not supported, sorry
  2. Touchscreen (single-touch is enough), or a HDMI monitor and keyboard
  3. Stereo, full-duplex I2S or USB soundcard with a phono input stage, or line input and an external pre-amp, soundcard must be supported by ALSA
  4. Micro SD card for the software, at least 2GB in size, and an adaptor to flash it with
  5. Control vinyl, Serato CV02 pressing or later recommended
  6. USB stick containing your favourite music. FLAC format is recommended (16-bit 44100Hz format tested)
  7. Non-automatic record player that can hold speed, with a clean, sharp stylus. It helps scratching if the headshell and arm are adjusted correctly
  8. Slipmat, made from felt or neoprene
  9. Sheet of wax paper from the kitchen drawer, to go under the slipmat
  10. A beverage-proof case would be good. We're still working on that.
  • Like 1

Daniel James one of the devs of PiDeck project comment in cdm...

Hi Gabriel, the interface plugged directly into the Pi is an Audio Injector card from http://www.audioinjector.net/ which is a full duplex I2S card.

We have some DMA issues with the driver for that card at the moment, so the best we have achieved with that card is a 16ms output buffer. With generic USB interfaces we have achieved a reliable 3ms output buffer at 44100kHz which compares well to the same interfaces on laptops.In theory, I2S could go even lower than 3ms but we have yet to prove that. Subjectively, I'd say the PiDeck is very responsive, easily good enough for scratching (as shown in the video from Mr. Krabs above) and beat juggling.

Source:http://cdm.link/2016/10/pideck-makes-usb-stick-player-turntables/#disqus_thread
  • Like 1

Guest rasteri

I reckon you could get even better latency (potentially even sub-millisecond) if you ported xwax to a bare-metal microcontroller like an stm32 or something. Or perhaps used a realtime OS on the raspi.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just joined this community to discuss about all these arm soc dvs setups starting to float around, Ive been around most of those discussions going on regardng xwax.

I built my system over a year and a half ago and have been using it since. My take was a bit different as I built a 2 deck setup and built a gpio based button + rotary encoder interface controller. The soc is inside the casing which has a 7" lcd i can hook up where needed, the only thing i kept external was the soundcard, and mostly so i could make the controller smaller.

I didnt document everything, but if you want to take a look.....

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=10837

Ill update my thread with some of the missing info and if anybody wants to try something similar or you have any questions just ask....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCt9D7NgbL0

Edited by ximo roca
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, there really is no translator for russian, it is english words, but it makes literally no sense at all.

I remember his v1, and how many people tried to understand his documentation, literally nobody ever built one, there was no way whatsoever.

I would love it if somebody could translate it though.

Well FPGA are gorgeous in options and difficult. I see piDeck more suitable for non techies as they want to make it "plug'n play".

The documentation of this one seems correct (russian aside) and maybe Rasteri could use some parts to cdx mod (if you check the diagram above it seem quite similar to the research made by him) so the problem will be more related to the code side which is the part I haven't see yet. Anyways some parts are recycable for other projects or could been take as inspiration.

I expect more news on this since it seems a nice update from v1 with the screen addon but I still prefer the raspi route without doubt. ;)