Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

cool to see people loosing fear of modding their shit...

for the start/stop button I'd like to add that I did it the same way in 2013 but I switched over to a momentary switch which is connected to a relais - the big advantage is that the button is way (!!) softer then the hard on/off switch which needs quit some force to activate... also the hard button thing was causing dropouts when not beeing pushed right....

I could imagine you also could hang a potentiometer on the "+ lead" to get that ultra pitch function - haven't tried it yet but quit convinced it should do it .. maybe hang a little capacitor in before... also changing + / - on the motor makes it go backwards - sth you easily can realize with another 3x 2pin switch.. (sorry for the messy description).. as much as i love the focus ultra pitch mod i think you can do it a little cheaper on your own - it's cool that he offers the boards for people that can't though..

for the rechargebale batteries i highly recommend those:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wiederaufladbare-Lithium-Ionen-Batterie-Akku-Ladegerat-DC12V-1800-12000mAh-EU-/191732047724?var=&hash=item2ca41edf6c:m:mBOJJ4jWLT0jup3V-HOlLJw

they're affordable and they come with a charger and all - you even can downsize them by taking off the "jacket"...

thanx to rasteri for adding the waxcutter to the wiki - will add an instruction asap... and yeah... I WANT THOSE PCB's!!! :)

..gettin a little off - but are there comparable apps for androids which can be used with timecode vinyls?

Edited by wax inspektor

a pitch fader like a real turntable would be so good

I been thinkin I'd like to try and add 2 up faders if I can make the room for them

I had this idea that it could be cool to be able to have one up fader running internally for the deck
and have one that's basically a standalone fader so you can just go in and out of it with your ipad or mp3 player whatever your playing beats through

can you easily wire up a volume fader with just a fader and a couple of inputs to go from your mp3 player to your external speaker or would I be needing to add something else to it

• Like 1

more inspiration for all ya...

i also added little 20mm line faders to my PT01 - they are linear though - I kinda like the curve they're offering... they do fit perfectly into those 4 plastic thingys around the platter... One Fader was about 0,70 so it's no big drama to abuse em - I actually been rocking that pair for 2 years now and never did anything beside some cleaning spray (pressure air (?) only) ...

the buttons are for start/stop (PT01) and the other one is for stop on my RC3 Loopstation - or your MPC, APC... anything that supports a footswitch..

(replaced the 45 adapter with another speaker)

also.. how about a target light? the one I used was from a brand called Hollywood sth sth - way cheaper then a Vestax or Numark one...

missing stuff on the recent update is the rechargeable battery, the nanofader PCB for my Pro-X, a Shure M44-7 and the ultra-pitch + reverse-mode... hope to have it finished before the 7PT drops ;)

can't wait til someone comes up with a solid solution to stabalize the platter... *sigh*

Edited by wax inspektor
  • Like 2

more inspiration for all ya...

i also added little 20mm line faders to my PT01 - they are linear though - I kinda like the curve they're offering... they do fit perfectly into those 4 plastic thingys around the platter... One Fader was about 0,70 so it's no big drama to abuse em - I actually been rocking that pair for 2 years now and never did anything beside some cleaning spray (pressure air (?) only) ...

the buttons are for start/stop (PT01) and the other one is for stop on my RC3 Loopstation - or your MPC, APC... anything that supports a footswitch..

(replaced the 45 adapter with another speaker)

also.. how about a target light? the one I used was from a brand called Hollywood sth sth - way cheaper then a Vestax or Numark one...

missing stuff on the recent update is the rechargeable battery, the nanofader PCB for my Pro-X, a Shure M44-7 and the ultra-pitch + reverse-mode... hope to have it finished before the 7PT drops ;)

can't wait til someone comes up with a solid solution to stabalize the platter... *sigh*

I like the mods! But you kind of shut yourself from using 12" or even 10" records, which is fine if you're just using it as a 7" scratch machine.

• Like 1

^ i was lucky enough to find another pair of PT01s for very little money (50€ for both) when no one was giving a shit about them - this one is 7"only - true - concepted for scratching only... the other pair i have is my park set up - each one paired with a faderbox and a passive mixer in between - good fun!

it's pretty simple to add a bluetooth receiver as a line in also - my faderboxes have them and it's suuuper chilled to stream a beat/looper instead of having another wire...

@ rasteri

do you already can tell how a M44/7 would perform with your nanofader PCB?

also.. you going to sell complete kits ( without fader ) or do I have to get the components on my own? I think got everything - not as SMDs though - a complete package would super sweet - a list should do it too if it eases stuff for you :)

Guest rasteri

I'm gonna sell complete kits until I run out of faders (I have maybe 7 vestax PCVs, 3 Penny&Giles, 3 fullsize focus faders and a mini innofader).

Long term I'm going to recommend people pair it with a mini innofader (the reloop-branded one is only £50). I'm having some issues getting the innofader to work though, although I think I've traced it down to the quad op-amp I'm using (why the fuck I chose to use a FET-input op amp for logic purposes I have no idea... idiot).

Anyway the boards are populated and work great with standard (i.e. non-inno-)faders. Just have to assemble the kits and we're done.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I just read this thread from the beginning and think I need to go lie down in a dark room somewhere! On another note, any fader mods left Rasteri? Incredible to see all your ideas come together and great projects coming to life here...

Had an idea and it worked. 2 X raiden fader = a rubbish cross fader and 2 x portable turntable

Here's the video http://www.pikore.com/m/1216423897020279677_2056728113

heres a pic http://imgur.com/xI5J7g8

but Check out my Instagram account @ethanoldj for a video

It's a bit awkward. need to make something to hold the two faders together if possible.

just for fun.

Edited by Ethanol
  • Like 2

is there some sort of clip that I can solder to wires to clip onto the pins of a fader like the one in the link below

to save me soldering directly to the faders pins so I can easily change out the fader if needed

if so can someone tell me what they're called

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slide-Potentiometer-ALPS-20K-Linear-60mm-travel-metal-/181583776207?hash=item2a473c89cf:g:dzEAAOxyeZNTQbb7

Had an idea and it worked. 2 X raiden fader = a rubbish cross fader and 2 x portable turntable

Here's the video http://www.pikore.com/m/1216423897020279677_2056728113

heres a pic http://imgur.com/xI5J7g8

but Check out my Instagram account @ethanoldj for a video

It's a bit awkward. need to make something to hold the two faders together if possible.

just for fun.

Stick the internals from 2 pts in a box with a inno and I'll sell my techs to pay for 1. Great vid and idea mate💥