Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

I just got a pt01 scratch and straight away i was looking for what mods can be done to make the switch feel more like a real fader. This thread has been really interesting and i'm keen to have a go at getting a proper fader in there.
@rasteri What kind of fader would you suggest? I don't mind butchering the faceplate to get a full sized fader in there. This guy has a mini fader from a stanton sa12 which looks like it would fit, but they seem impossible to get hold of: https://youtu.be/E8NY3av5N1g?t=3m

Guest rasteri

Focus is selling some OS2 switches I think.

I'm not sure what kind of faders will work with the 01scratch yet. I'm hoping to reverse engineer the VCA control circuit this evening.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

So I've got it mostly reverse engineered. I would draw a schematic but it's so simple there's almost no point.

The clever stuff is being done on the control board, i.e. the one with the volume/tone/pitch etc on it.

IC501 is a Coolaudio V2164, which is a clone of the venerable SSM2164.

IC1 is generating a virtual ground supply, i.e around 4.5v.

IC502 is the output buffer from the VCA.

The pinout of the scratch-switch connector goes like this :

1 - VCC

2 - Virtual Ground

3 - Control Voltage for VCA

4 - Ground

A full-size innofader will work pretty much out-of-the-box with the 01scratch, but a mini innofader will probably need some work. I'm gonna rig a simple comparator circuit up with an OEM mini inno and see where we get.

• Like 6

Guest rasteri

Well that wasn't too hard :

It just needs a comparator circuit to turn the soft curve of the mini innofader into a sharp one and to buffer the output. I could make adapter circuit boards very cheaply, certainly cheaper than the nanofader.

• Like 8

Well that wasn't too hard :

It just needs a comparator circuit to turn the soft curve of the mini innofader into a sharp one and to buffer the output. I could make adapter circuit boards very cheaply, certainly cheaper than the nanofader.

Hey Rasteri,

Would it be possible for you to share what you did to connect the Mini Innofader? (Photos, diagram, Pinout, etc.)

Yesterday I order a Mini Innofader for my Z2 but I'll will fit it on my PT01 Scratch now.

Thanks!

This is my test of the Innofader Pro on my PT01 Scratch.

To get a green light on the test board you need to:

1.- Swap PIN 1 (Yellow) and PIN 4

2.- Remove PIN 2

Edit 11/3/2016:

Thanks to Rasteri here's a corrected pin-out to eliminate a distortion when Innofader Pro was fully open and full volume at cut-in, please follow this new method.

Also this only applies to the Innofader Pro, stay tuned for Mini Innofader, Innofader PNP and Innofader Pro 2

Innofader – PT01 Scratch

PIN 1 = PIN 2

PIN 2 = Empty

PIN 3 = PIN 3

PIN 4 = PIN 1

Remove “X/Y Select” jumper

Edited by djlogix
  • Like 2

Hey all,

I'm happy to do custom mini Innofader PNP S parts, Innofader PNPs, or Innofader Pro2s to work properly.

Rasteri - remember your schematic has a few glitches that need to be fixed. Regardless it's easy enough for me to do these custom parts so the customization isn't necessary.

Elliot

• Like 3

Hey all,

I'm happy to do custom mini Innofader PNP S parts, Innofader PNPs, or Innofader Pro2s to work properly.

Rasteri - remember your schematic has a few glitches that need to be fixed. Regardless it's easy enough for me to do these custom parts so the customization isn't necessary.

Elliot

Hey Elliot, Carlos here; That would be great! Let us know what would you need from us and how could that work.

Sorry to get a little head of my self but how about the possibility of the Innofader cutting on both sides?

I think it could be a feature extremely useful for the Innofader to have in this new era of the Portablist/Portablism!

Carlos

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Hey all,

Elliot

This is a much better solution than faffing about with converter boards. Thanks Elliot for getting on this so quick.

BTW I fixed the mistake in my schematic, this version definitely works, I'm using it right now :)

• Like 3

Here is a closeup of the Pinouts for the Focus Fader v1.0.

The OS2 (Micro Focus Fader) will most likely just drop in the slot since it was made to

fit in place of a toggle switch.

The Screw holes on the OS2 match those on a Toggle so

you can also swap the plate if need be...

You can also use a Regular size Fader Cap on the OS2's if you want to rock some a Cool Cap,Vestax,Stanton etc..

It looks like Numark made it pretty mod friendly this time around, that was one of the things that also

helped the 05pro. Real Fresh Shtuff...

Edited by Focus
  • Like 1

The OS2 (Micro Focus Fader) will most likely just drop in the slot since it was made to

You can also use a Regular size Fader Cap on the OS2's if you want to rock some a Cool Cap,Vestax,Stanton etc..

It looks like Numark made it pretty mod friendly this time around, that was one of the things that also

OK I have the focus fader v1 and I have the OS2 switches at home.

Is it possible to connect the focus fader or the OS2 switches without any other elctronic stuff to the PT01???

Can I connect the cables from the Numark PT01 switch to the focus fader and it will work or do I have to do some modification???

OK I have the focus fader v1 and I have the OS2 switches at home.

Is it possible to connect the focus fader or the OS2 switches without any other elctronic stuff to the PT01???

Can I connect the cables from the Numark PT01 switch to the focus fader and it will work or do I have to do some modification???

If we are talking Numark PT-01 Scratchidy Scratch version..Should be a matter of matching the pins that Rasteri posted..

Regardless everything needed is already in the Focus Fader v1.0 and OS2 (Micro Focus Fader) so worst case scenerio

you can reroute the connections as needed...

I don't have a PT-01 Scratch myself or else it be done by now... I'll post a picture of the OS2 Pinouts in a minute...

• Like 1

Ok, here is an inside view of the OS2, Let's also call them Micro Focus Fader v1.0...

Notice the 2 Interrupters?

The resistors are missing because I was

experimenting with this one, I didn't want to take a new one apart for pictures. Regardless, this shows you the Pinouts with text, all you need to get to work imho.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

@smurfy I haven't tried connecting the OS2 yet no. I might give it a try in a few days, I'm really busy just now.

@jeremy Elliot has reprogrammed a batch of mini innos with new firmware that should make them compatible with the PT-01scratch without having to modify them. He's sent me one for testing, when it arrives I'll post an installation guide/video.

If you wanna order one now, put "Modded for PT-01scratch" in the order notes on the innofader website.

• Like 1