RULES & INFO

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/sigma/DVFLYERA4.png

Welcome to the DV Freestyle Scratch Battle 2014!

This post is long as I've tried to make sure I've included all of the info you'll need. If you have any questions, just fire me a PM on here or contact me through Facebook.

To those that entered last year and are back for another go, the format and rules are the same as last year except now there will be a 90 second, 1 round scratch-off for 3rd place, and there is an intro video that you need to add to the beginning of your videos (if possible).

Prizes: -

Many thanks to all of the sponsors and people who donated prizes. Please check THIS thread for the sponsor info and show them some love by clicking through and having a look at their sites and pages.

1st place: -

DJ-Tech DIF-1M mixer

DJ-Tech CTRL MIDI controller

innoFADER Pro fader

DJWORX bag stuffed with goodies

DJWORX limited edition 7" picture disc and 7" slipmats

D-Styles Tablecloth slipmats

Dr. Suzuki Vinyl Vault DVS storage case

D-Styles Slip 'N' Slide slipsheets

innoFADER t-shirt

Super Scratch Sunday t-shirt

Leighton Harris's new Black Magic EP battle record customised with the winner's name

Ritchie Ruftone's new battle record, Practice Yo Cuts

Symatic & Darcy's battle record, Cadence With Rhythm & Flow

DV freestyle scratch battle 2014 winner's certificate

2nd place: -

innoFADER PNP fader

D-Styles Tablecoth slipmats

D-Styles Slip 'N' Slide slipsheets

Leighton Harris's new Black Magic EP battle record customised with the DJ's name

3rd place: -

Mini innoFADER PNP P fader

D-Styles Tablecloth slipmats

Leighton Harris's new Black Magic EP battle record customised with the DJ's name

4th place: -

5th to 8th places: -

Battle format: -

The battle is split into four rounds: -

Round 1 = Competitors cut for up to 60 seconds over a beat of their choosing. Judging is a combination of a peer judging system and a judging panel. The top 8 competitors will progress to the next round.

Round 2 = A random draw will be made to create 4 x 1 Vs. 1 match ups. The competitors will cut for up to 60 seconds over a beat that will be provided. Judging will be done by a judging panel. The 4 winning DJs will progress to round 3.

Round 3 = A random draw will be made to create 2 x 1 Vs. 1 match ups. The competitors will cut for up to 90 seconds over a beat that will be provided. Judging will be done by a judging panel. The 2 winning DJs will progress to the final round.

Round 4 = The final. This will take place over 3 rounds of 90 seconds per round. Beats will be provided for each round. If the same DJ wins the first 2 rounds, the battle is over. Judging will be done by a judging panel. As there are prizes for coming third this year, there will also be a single 90 second round featuring the 2 DJs that were knocked out in round 3 and again, a beat will be provided for that.

In all rounds, competitors can cut up any sample(s) of their choosing. In the rounds where a beat is provided, DJs must cut over the beat at its stock speed - so no pitching the beat up or down.

Video submission rules: -

Videos must be shot in one take and filmed from a single angle. While there is a maximum time limit for each round, there is no minimum. Effects are allowed, but bear in mind that this is a freestyle scratch battle so using effects may count against you with the judges. Using a loop pedal to layer scratches is not allowed. Please pay attention to the time limit info in the "Time limits and deadlines" section below.

If possible, please add the following intro video to the beginning of your videos: -

Here's a download link that includes the video and a still image: -

Link

Alternate link

We will still accept entries that don't use the intro, but this will help us gain some extra visibility for our sponsors and help us secure sponsorship for future battles, so it's important that you do this if you can please!

Host your video on YouTube. Set your video's privacy to "unlisted" so that nobody can find it before the videos are posted up on DV ready for judging. Please don't set it to "private" as then I can't view it to check that it doesn't break the rules. Once the videos are posted up and judging begins, please set your video's privacy to "public" so that everyone can see it and feel free to post it up wherever you like.

When uploading your video, please include "DV Scratch Battle 2014" in the video title along with your DJ name and the round number, so, for example, it might look like this: -

DV Scratch Battle 2014 - DJ IQ - Round 1

Also, please put a link to DV or this battle section on DV in the video description.

A disqualification will occur if a video has clearly been edited or if a video is not submitted in time. If a DJ is disqualified in round 2, the next highest scoring non-winning DJ from round 1 will be asked if they want to jump back into the battle and they will be given 7 days to submit a video.

Unless there is a technical issue with either DV or YouTube, no extensions will be given in rounds 1-3. An extension may be given in round 4, but only under exceptional circumstances and only if both DJs agree to it.

How to submit your entries: -

You can submit your videos in one of 2 ways: -

1. PM me on DV or Facebook with a link to the video.

2. Email me at battle@digitalvertigo.co.uk with a link to your video. Make sure you include your DJ name and DV username (if you have one) in the email along with the link.

In both cases, I will reply to confirm that I have received your entry. If you have any problems or you don't receive a reply from me, you can always contact me via DV. If your video is over the time limit, I will contact you to tell you that you will either have to record a new video or chop the end off your existing one.

Once a DJ has submitted a video, that's it - you cannot change your mind and ask to use a different video. If you submit a video and then try and swap it out for another one, you'll be disqualified. Make sure you are happy with your video before you email/PM the link to me!

Time limits and deadlines: -

The time limit for each round is given above. The clock starts from the moment you start scratching and it stops when you stop scratching, so the intro and any blank beat at the beginning/end of the video don't count towards the time limit.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GO OVER THE TIME LIMIT. Last year I had to ask several DJs to cut their videos down, which only wastes my time and theirs. Don't do it! :p

The deadline for submission of round 1 entries is Monday the 15th of September at 11PM UK time. Please note that that is UK time. No entries will be accepted after the deadline is met.

Deadlines for the later rounds will be posted as the battle progresses, but we will make sure DJs have plenty of time to record their videos.

Judging criteria: -

This battle is largely about technical skills and flow, so the judging will be broken down something like this: -

Technicality/flow = 70%

Originality = 20%

Musicality = 10%

So technical, funky cuts with a touch of originality is what you're aiming for if you want to impress the judges, rather than going for something musical that's much less technical.

Round 1 judging: -

Round 1 will be judged using a mix of peer judging and a judging panel. It will work like this: -

Each judge will choose their top 8. The person they place first gets 8 points, second gets 7 points and so on. There are 5 judges in total.

Each competitor will also do the same. The competitor's scores will then be averaged out and multiplied by 3, so all of the competitors combined effectively count as 3 judges.

The judges and competitor scores will be totalled up, giving us a top 8.

We realise that a competitor may have a friend that has also entered and they may decide to vote for their friend just to help them get through to round 2, but we have designed the weighting of the competitor votes so that if a handful of people do this, it will have no real effect on the outcome. We want the most deserving DJs to win the prizes!

NOTE: All competitors are required to post their top 8.

Rounds 2-4 judging: -

Rounds 2 and 3 will be judged by the 5 person judging panel. Round 4 and the 3rd place scratch-off will be judged by the 5 person judging panel, but there will also be some extra guest judges.

The judging panel: -

These 5 judges will be judging throughout the battle: -

Jon1st

Ritchie Ruftone

Pete Sasqwax

DJ Chile

Sparky T

And these 6 judges will jump on board with the other 5 judges to judge round 4 and the scratch-off for 3rd place: -

DJ Muzzell

Mr. Viktor

Chris Karns

DJ Precision

Billy Jam

DJ Happee

Have a click through and take a look at the judges' sites.

Winners: -

Winners of each round will be posted on DV and I will email/PM each of you to let you know. Once the battle is over, I will contact every prize winner to get your details so we can get the prizes to you.

Questions?

If you have any questions about the battle, either post them in this thread or fire me a PM.

Here's some of the questions I've been asked already, along with answers: -

Q. Do I have to record the audio via line in?

A. No. It's preferable simply because it sounds better/clearer, but you don't have to.

Q. Could I record, say, a 5 minute video and cut out the best 60 second section as my entry?

A. Yes, as long as you haven't taken multiple "best bits" and edited them together into one video.

Q. Where can I find you on Facebook?

A. You can contact me/add me, HERE.

Q. Can I use a DVS like Serato or Traktor?

A. Yep!

Q. If I submit a video that breaks the rules am I disqualified?

A. No. I'll contact you so you have a chance to put things right, but please try and follow the rules so that this doesn't happen!

Q. Can I use a controller or CD deck?

A. Yep.

Thanks!

A huge thanks to all of our sponsors and the people that donated prizes, to the judges, to Silk Kuts for providing the beats, to the other admins, and to Chris for sorting out the artwork!

Let the battle commence!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling that we're going to have quite a few more entries than last year. If that happens, I'll make sure people have plenty of time to pick their top 8.

Also, I've had a few questions about the rules from folks who don't have English as their first language. If anyone has any doubts or questions about the rules, you can post in this thread, message me on here, email me, or get in touch via Facebook. I'll do my best to help you out.

I'm trying to get it out to all the Tx Scratch League groups. Hopefully they will have some entries. Some good folks in those groups.

You got some really good sponsors again too which really helps bring people out of the wood works.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to clarify the "filmed from 1 angle" thing: -

A couple of the entries have got edits in them to cut to a different angle, but not during the actual scratching part which is what the rule applies to. If you've done a little edit at the beginning/end where the camera switches angles, that's fine, as long as the actual scratching is all filmed from 1 angle in 1 take.