two click flares

amatic

is crabbing/twiddling 2 click flares cheating  

27 members have voted

1. 1. is crabbing/twiddling 2 click flares cheating

If you're starting open and using a twiddle, then I guess you could call it a 2-click flare. Or if you're doing the delayed 2-click/boomerang and using twiddles, then fair enough...

But to re-open a very old can of worms: to me, 'flare' doesn't just describe a sound, it describes a movement as well. IMO for it to be a true flare, it can't be a twiddle/crab - it should come from the wrist.

PAUSE NO HOMO ETC

If you're starting open and using a twiddle, then I guess you could call it a 2-click flare. Or if you're doing the delayed 2-click/boomerang and using twiddles, then fair enough...

But to re-open a very old can of worms: to me, 'flare' doesn't just describe a sound, it describes a movement as well. IMO for it to be a true flare, it can't be a twiddle/crab - it should come from the wrist.

PAUSE NO HOMO ET

i agree..a proper flare.is from the wrist..i thought this poll may provoke a few..must say im very suprised that chile thinks no..im sur vekked would say anything other than wrist is not 2 clicking?..i fell if u cant two click a flare without wrist...its not a "proper" two click flare.

I agree..a proper flare.is from the wrist.

Who told you that? A flare is just inserting a gap into a sound by closing the fader. It doesn't matter how it's done. What would you call the 2-click orbits that Deeswift used to do, or the many other flare patterns he did with twiddles?

I

Who told you that? A flare is just inserting a gap into a sound by closing the fader. It doesn't matter how it's done. What would you call the 2-click orbits that Deeswift used to do, or the many other flare patterns he did with twiddles?

i would call them twiddles.if he crabs his Fingers..unless its wrist..its not flare,at least i feel...theres no get out of jail free card on this one!..you cant crab/twiddle your way through delayed boomerang and walking flares..you have to learn the way of the wrist.

What would you call twiddles done with the wrist?

Personally I define it like: twiddles = fingers, 2 click flares = wrist. The reason is basically what broke said. Although it's theoretically the same thing (making 2 gaps in the middle of the sound to create 3 sounds), it often does not sound the same (altho sometimes they do).

And when explaining scratches it's annoying to say "oh yah that pattern's 2 click flares" then someone does it with twiddles and it doesn't sound the same and it's like "no 2 click flares... with the wrist". It's like 3 or 4 click flares and crabs... does anyone call crabs 3 or 4 click flares? The sound super different in most cases and it's really hard to achieve a similar sound with both techniques (harder than it is to make twiddles sound like 2 click flares).

I'm with those that think that twiddles and 2 clicks are different things. purely on a physical level.

I don't think that the sounds are always that different however.

I agree with what Vek said about not calling crabs - 3 click flares. Try putting up a video of crabs and call them 3 clicks on youtube and watch people cry about it! ;-)

Now to hijack the thread. I should (and possibly do) know this, but what are the differences between pinch and wrist flares? Can a hamster pinch? etc

Also, can I have some detail on hamster 2 clicks... I swing that way these days.

Tears are only done with the wrist too, so if you do them any other way you need to call them something else.

References

Steve's Invisible Book of Stupid Scratch Rules, DV Press, 2009

I bin dun callin dem hand moving tair bitches 'Bumpy Knuckles' for YEERS.

#truestory

If scratches aren't labelled and identified, or at least acknowledged, it slows improvement.

I'm not really one for names and stuff but I must admit that being able to label identify and understand techniques such as pinching, wrist, twiddling does all equate to progression.

• Like 2

I agree with the "pinch", "twiddle", "wrist" approach... So you're still doing a 2 click flare, but there's different ways of approaching it with the fader hand. I personally like to do 2 clickers with pinch and twiddle a bit too to mix it up, but I'm still aware I am doing a 2 click flare when I do them. The more information included in the description the better just for clarity's sake

If scratches aren't labelled and identified, or at least acknowledged, it slows improvement.

I totally, wholehartedly disagree. I think scratching was better when people were not naming, writing down and rehearsing every combo. The tech heavy scratching of today from the europeans is BOOoorrrrriiinnnggggg.

It's pretty much a complete reversal for me. Past a point as scratch techniques got better scratching became shitter.

I like the whole european sound, I just dislike how everyone has copied it. I can see the temptation for people to learn. Combo's and patterns are very measurable by success. you can practice a chirp/flare combo over a popular looper and eventually sound like the people you are trying to imitate. It's rewarding and comparable to ikea flat packed furniture.... follow the instructions to a T and you will have a nicely presented Coffee Table or in this case, chirp flare.

Perhaps the funk of d-styles or the random crazyness of Qbert is less predictable and thus harder to imitate. Plus the tutorials on youtube etc are more aimed at the pattern/technique side of scratching rather than style and flow.

I like to bash away (on the decks) and let things happen. Mistakes can create new sounds, give new ideas etc, but I really believe that knuckling down and getting anal is the best way.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Guest Symatic

anyone care to show a vid of themselves doing 'pinch' style flares, and 2 clicks? i dont think i do them right....... cheers

Guest Symatic

if you're not pinching... you're doing it right ;)

yeah i think so too..... this isn't the only technique i've learned completely wrong either :) but with the pinch tihng, i can see people doing it but i don't get what's going on.

i cut regular, and to get anything like that movement i have my spare fingers resting on the faceplate, then my index finger resting on the fader causing it to sit in the ON position, like 2 or 3 mm in, then i push my thumb lightly against it to close the fader and move my thumb outwards to get the on sound.

this seems wrong as well and i can't do it at any kind of fast speed......

grrrrrrrr

I like twiddling 2 click stuff or fuitaing 2 click stuff. Very subtle difference there as the fuita stye (for me) sounds more like even spacing between the clicks and record motion change. When I twiddle many times I have more of a sound where the two clicks are more in the center of the record motion or the clicks are very rapid / close together if that makes sense. I also like pinching my 2 clicks and I do get a different sound (more hoppy sounding maybe but cant do it as fast as the twiddle) compared to the twiddles, but it can be very similar to my fuita style if i want it to be

fuitas or however you spell it is more like alternating a 1st and 2nd finger. Where my twiddle is much more of a rolled crab with 2 fingers (I'm hamster.)