What to do if you accidentally link your YouTube account to a Google+ account

Steve

If you have a YouTube account, you'll probably have noticed that Google are trying to get people to use their real names on there. Sometimes when you log in, you'll get a pop up asking you if you want to use your real name. Just recently, they have been pushing another pop up on people to ask if they want to link their YouTube account with a Google+ account.

Here's why doing that can be a bad thing if you have never done anything on Google+ and have no content there: -

1. Your YouTube username will change to your email address.

2. Your avatar on YouTube will change to a default Google+ avatar.

3. Your channel will disappear.

4. Your videos will disappear.

So if you accidentally link your YouTube account with a Google+ account and any of the above happens, don't panic - you have 14 days in which you can undo it.

Here's how: -

1. Log into your YouTube account using your YouTube username and password.

2. Click the drop-down arrow (very top-right) and select "YouTube settings".

3. In the Overview section, click on "Temporarily disconnect Google+ page, and use your YouTube username".

4. A feedback box will appear where you can tell YouTube why you are doing this.

5. Job done.

If you don't do this within 14 days, you are screwed, but once you do it, your account will be back as it was, with your avatar, channel and videos all intact. Make sure you leave YouTube some feedback when the feedback box appears, because it's pretty clear that they really want to force users to both use their real names and to have their YouTube account linked to a Google+ account - I want to do neither.

Guest Symatic

yeah its annoying. i have 2 google accounts now cos they wont let me separate my gmail and my yt.

i have to keep switching which is a pain.

fekkin google rules suck de balls

This is the pop up you get: -

http://i.imgur.com/GOv3sa2.jpg

It's misleading, because the consequences of choosing an option are not clear at all. You would think that if you selected the "Keep your YouTube username" option that you're just carrying on as you were, but nope - selecting that is what fucks you up. You have to just click the X in the top-right corner and get rid of the pop up, rather than selecting either of the options.