Time Stretching

djxander

someone a couple days ago said something about how easily computers time stretch now, was wondering if someone could give a walk through/explaine what they mean by this. I time stretched this one sample i lifted (its like a 4 bar sample) and the outcome was that it sounded like it had delayed/quikly repeated hits. How do you time stretch "easily" and effectively?

it really depends on how much you want to expand or compress something time wise. Ultimately there will be two factors that determine how 'real' the end result will be - these are the sample rate (and to a lesser extent, the bit-depth) of the original sample, and the also the quality of the algorithm that that is doing the stretching. All the major sequencers have very good time stretching features (pro-tools still has the sweetest audio engine) but they'll all start to show artifacts with extreme stretching.

In answer to the original question:

The absolute easiest way to time stretch is by using either Ableton Live or Sony Acid. These programs will allow you to throw any sample or loop into your current arrangement and they will instantaneously stretch/compress it to the right length to make it fit with your chosen tempo. Money.

Ableton is the better of the two btw.

wat i noticed with Sound Forge

is that the more u time-strech a sample (say some vocals)

it starts to stutter and jolt resulting in it not staying in beat

meaning starting all over again

having sed that once i got it right it worked really well!

Edited by Dj Phology

i think in sound forge it is about choosing the best preset method to suit the sample you are stretching (ie drums, vocal, bass)

and once it has been stretched once, it will sound worse if it is stretched again

also, i instaqlled cool edit pro recently and tried its timestretch

it didn't have any options to tailor the stretch to the sample, but it sounded quite good on the samples i was doing it on

acid pro does seem to do it the best, but i would have thought it used the same technique as sound forge as they are from the same company

• 2 weeks later...