Audio Programs

iexist

Bugger. This thread has just reminded me that none of the torrent links I posted to the audio software will work anymore. Suprnova have changed the site and links must be clicked directly from the main page. If you click a link on here or a mirror site, you just get a message about not being authorised.

I've never really used any audio software except Cool Edit Pro. I really like it because it's simple to use although I'm sure all the programs you guys mentioned are far more powerful.

oooof.. last time i used vegas, it wasnt running too smoothly and reason isnt that user friendly. i just wanted to know about the other ones if anyone had an opinion. ive used cool edit pro before. its pretty nice, kind of like vegas and soundforge combined in a sense. if anyone has some opinions on the programs above, please tell me. thanks in advance.

audio production or audio recording program???

i personally like FL Studio 4.5.2(production wise,simple lay out ,very user friendly. easy to learn)

and Adobe Audition 1.0(for multi tracking) i use Acid Pro 4.0 for recording tracks(for my emcee friends that want to record at my pad)

Edited by FlipFlop

Cakewalk vs. Vegas.....

Fruity Loops vs. Reason.....

get @ me.

To go back to the original question:

cakewalk is an audio prog. Vegas is for video.

cakewalk is poo and no-one uses it outside the US - if you're stateside then I'd consider it as the user base is so huge.

Fruity started off as a very limited 'ejay' type of deal but has got much better as time's gone on. I've heard people get some good results out of it, but personally i'd go for Reason as the prog to become familiar with. It has a larger, older and more knowledgeable user base (there are tips'n'tricks sections in most production magazines as well) the synths are extremely good and the reverb (rv7000) is absolutely mind bogglingly amazing given that it's included for free. It's been compared to units like a lexicon 480l which costs around $2500 second hand :blink:

I'm drunk so my answer isn't as comprehensive as it could be - give us a shout if you need to know anything else

Fruityloops is franky AMAZING, simply because it is the only audio platform out there that takes a fresh approch and lays everything bare, whilst still running with minimal hardware requirements. If you have an old PII 450 with a SBPCI, it'll run Fruity. No shit.

Fruityloops is never going to earn you any audio kudos from those who consider themselves the audio "hardcore". I'd say this is somewhat unfair, given that the validity of the package has clearly been proven by some of the amazing results out there.

In truth, I think that many people find the way of working to be slightly too alternative to the norm -not bad, just different. In fact, I know a few people studying audio at uni, Fruity is the only package to be banned from use on their course since the methods employed are not considered to the standard transferrable skills. I honestly think that is a bit bollocks, but whatever.

Just use whatever you're happy with

if you don't care too much about midi programing and you want to actually record audio as opposed to using loops then get a protools system (mbox starts at about £300) despite being the industry standard its actually the easiest to learn and arguably has the best audio engine. protools hardware is always of impeccable quality too. Otherwise use cubase if you're on windows or logic if you're on a mac.

hit me back if you need to know more.

• 3 weeks later...