iOS devices suitable for Audio production?

Guest Symatic

Yeah tape delay works cos you have separate erase/record/playback heads next to each other, the physical distance between record and playback is the cause of the delay, you just feed back the playback signal into record...

• Like 1

I see.

'My one' is one of these and it definitely records, so I assume up to task.

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-d6c

I guess I'd have the same problem as you are though with the heads too close and the tape moving too fast. The bigger scale and variable speed of the reel to reel is just right for the task. Well... except for the inconvenient size of course!

HqB5wpe.jpg

Speaking of tape delay machines,I used to own one of these things about 20 odd years ago.

Its the WEM Halle Cat which was the 4 channel version of the smaller single channel WEM CopiCat .

the Halle Cat had a lot more versatility as it had the echo plus an onboard reverb unit and it also functioned as a mixer too .

Really wish I still had it now as they're something of a rarity these days because the machines were a commercial failure when they were originally manufactured in the 1970's.

'Halle' means echo in German btw .

Guest Symatic

Matt - some systems use a record/play head - have a look inside, if you can see a small (usually black) erase head, and 2 separate metallic heads then maybe youre in business.... i cant see if theres 3 heads in there....

Dan - oh man..... check out the Exo-1 - old russian delay unit, looks like something out of the Death Star's lazer guidance sytem.....

Mutis - yo! I got my shitty old computer keyboard working! you have to treat it like a Bluetooth keyboard in Loopy HD's settings, but you can bind keys, so i have crucial ones like record, clear, next/previous track and reset on there, the rest of the keys are ripped off, so it's a free foot pedal!

i've also decided to get the mega fancy soundcard i mentioned earlier, as it does fucking everything, so soon i'll have a fricking nice giggable loop setup (i hope) hahaha

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

For the price (or even not) those monotron delays are very good.

But I must admit that ever since I've heard Si's 1/4" reel to reel in action it's made all emulations sound a bit weak.

technically it's YOUR 1/4" reel to reel :)

• Like 1

I kind of want a tape delay to mess around with.

Right now I'm using this and it's pretty cool. It completely analog and has stereo ins and outs so it works nice with your standard DJ mixer EFX loop.

I can't get the same really long delays as I can with my Boss DD-20 but the Rockman sounds cooler.

SE.jpg

• Like 3

The Rockman effects were the brainchild of Tom Scholz,the guitarist from the band Boston.

The original Rockman multi FX units were pretty dope too,the amp simulators and chorus effects on those things are really nice sounding,I used to run one of the first ever Rockman's with the signal split between an old Fender Twin reverb combo and Roland JC 120 amplifiers back in my live band gigging days.

Hehe-somebody needs to post that derailed train gif in this thread I reckon. :p

(Analogue still wins though.)

• Like 1

The Rockman effects were the brainchild of Tom Scholz,the guitarist from the band Boston.

The original Rockman multi FX units were pretty dope too,the amp simulators and chorus effects on those things are really nice sounding,I used to run one of the first ever Rockman's with the signal split between an old Fender Twin reverb combo and Roland JC 120 amplifiers back in my live band gigging days.

Hehe-somebody needs to post that derailed train gif in this thread I reckon. :p

(Analogue still wins though.)

The nice thing is that Scholz (apparently) didn't like how a lot of efx limited the frequency range so he designed his stuff to have more range. Seems to translate pretty well for DJing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this helps but I recently got my iPad setup complete by using the old M-AUDIO M-Track with the powered USB adapter and the app AUM to handle the routing and recording. The manual states that it isn't iOS compatible but it is if powered. I have had it for ages and got it for cheap but it seems that it has been something that pulled it all together for me trying to make music live with Ableton Link on different devices like the MPC Fly and Serato DJ. I am a hobby musician so I am aware that I am using the worst equipment wrongly too but I share what I find so I can remember it myself!

@PortableModManiac check the topic from the beginning and you will find useful info about launch controllers and iOS ;)

Ha I had read it but I got a bit lost with some of the terminology. I have a mental block when it comes to trying to follow tutorials and guides so I end up just plugging things in and seeing what happens. I did get a new toy to play with from the second hand store yesterday the Launch Control XL which is pretty awesome for the cost.

Still not perfected the midi input on the M-Track. Spent all morning rearranging everything. I hooked the big midi out port from an old M-AUDIO Oxygen 8 to the M-TRACK midi in and AUM seems to recognise the device when I use midi learn... That's as far as I have got so far ha. I am surprised I got that far but it is not a fun task and I can't find the info on the M-Track especially the iOS aspect seeing as it's an antique!

I have to do things with visual guides like pics and videos due to getting hit by a car that forced me to relearn how to relearn which is the reason why I am rubbish at explaining anything so if I am posting without making any sense let me know lol. I only joined here and Instagram to find examples of mods and setups to copy for a vintage record player mod and I ended up learning more than I intended which became a new floor space and bank account draining hobby!

Anyway I hope I can learn from you guys and share SOMETHING useful without annoying everyone with basic and strange questions!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made by the same developers who think a DAW doesn't need pan in its mixer, will be interesting to see what they decide DJs don't need too hahaha.

Will be nice to have some DVS that isn't tied to the DJPP developer though, may bring him down a peg or two.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...