Turntable Surgeon - Vinyl movement and fader position capturing

Steve

Description under the video: -

It took me a while to get Turntable Surgeon running the way I wanted it to, but once you get some good recordings in there it is easy to see how this can be a helpful tool for any Turntablist out there.

Basically the software draws a line (no, this is not a waveform) which illustrates the vinyl movement and direction. Very much like Turntablist Transcription Methodology (TTM) is made for. Except, this tool allows you to capture your own movements and analyze them. It enables this for the vinyl, as well as the x-fader.

Trying to get down that autobahn-scratch but it just doesn't seem to sound right? Capture it, analyze it and learn where you need to tweak your style in order to make it crisper.

Once you captured some 'data' you can have the software play it back to you or, and this is the cool part, edit the routine or zoom in to see what is going on. If you are familiar with TTM it can be an eye-opener to see your own cuts drawn out in front of you.

How does it work?

Turntable Surgeon was created to work with Ms. Pinky timecode records. Although the creator notes that any timecode should work and the software can learn the 'new code' if you use the 'fix vinyl speed' option. I did that with my Final Scratch records and it worked like a charm.

The x-fader is a bit trickier. Turntable Surgeon will send a high-pitch tone through your mixer and it will calculate the volume of the sound that gets fed back into the software. An innovative way of tracking the x-fader position without really noticeable issues (unless you're a dog and are receptive to very high pitch sounds...).

I needed to re-route some of my jacks in order to accomplish this as normally I only 'cut' the master sound, not the feeds going into my ASIO box. That will work as well, but timecode software will have a hard time picking up the track if it gets cut off constantly. In case you're trying to get your setup working with Turntable Surgeon but bump into issues, drop me a line and I'll see if I can help you out.

yeah this is a really dope idea, cant wait to have a play. using a "radar" to track the cross fader is a clever way of getting round not everyone having a midi mixer. If u have a 57 and the bridge i'd imagine u could do something similar at the moment, but it would kinda be a workaround. Wonder if the z2 could be used to do something similar too ?

• 3 years later...

yeah one of the guys in the team developping this saw one of me tutorial videos and contacted me about it. clever group of spanish guys.. i wanna get me hands on the final version

Well the group is mostly based in Basel, Switzerland and the Spanish guy was me ;)

Mutis Mayfield is the international nick for Mudo de Nacimiento. Booth shadows of Dubby... ;)