G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

I don't own much vinyl anymore but this is one of the few records ive got left from my collection

Well I say its one of the few ive got left as it was recently "borrowed" by my eldest son who also happens to be a music producer....hmmm i have a suspicion that i might have seen the last of it for some reason

The drums on this track are pure filth on a stick

break at 00.00 & 07.08

https://youtu.be/AeDPIhGZ7P4

• Like 1

I still sample drums because I'm complete shit at programming drums.

Beatnuts - "Get Funky"
Beatnuts - "Third of the Trio"
Brand Nubian - "All 4 One"
Brand Nubian - "Step to the Rear"
Cypress Hill - "How I Could Just Kill a Man"
De la Soul - "Let, Let Me In"
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - "Somethin' Like Dis"
DJ Magic Mike - "Abracadabra"
EPMD - "Rampage"
Fu-Schnickens - "Back Off"
Grand Puba - "360 Degrees"
Heavy D - "Don't Curse"
House of Pain - "Jump Around"
Joe - "I'm in Love"
King T - "King Tee's Beer Stand"
Larry Larr - "Keep on Y'all"
Lifer's Group - "Jack U. Back (So You Wanna Be a Gangsta)"
Mellow Man Ace - "Mellow Says Hello"
MMG - "Skolls"
Nice & Smooth - "Harmonize"
Prince - "7"
Redhead Kingpen - "All about Red"
Redman - "Time 4 Sum Aksion"
Salt-N-Pepa - "Tramp"
Stetsasonic - "No BS Allowed"
Wu-Tang Clan - "Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)"
Young Black Teenagers - "Tap the Bottle"

^^Lots of people sampled the drums of that.

^^That's been sampled by pretty much everybody. I also like that GC even sampled it in Martial Law... so fukkin META.

• Like 1

Here's one you guys might be able to help me with. I know I've heard this little 2 bar instrumental break at the beginning of this track used somewhere, but I can't remember where!

True Story: my mate put out these West Indies Funk comps, which this featured on. But he actually found the original record he got it off at the record shop, right before my eyes no less. One of a few times when I've been playing records for a customer and then thought "Bollocks, that's one I won't be getting then!".

True Story: my mate put out these West Indies Funk comps, which this featured on. But he actually found the original record he got it off at the record shop, right before my eyes no less. One of a few times when I've been playing records for a customer and then thought "Bollocks, that's one I won't be getting then!".

This very nearly happened again! I had this 45s collector come in today, one of those oddballs that collects records but you fear is probably more interested in burying more bodies in his garden. He pulled this from the racks, but I was quicker this time - when he was looking the other way I removed this from his 'yes' pile :d

when he was looking the other way I removed this from his 'yes' pile :d

So he didn't say anything when he paid for he records?

Actually, a similar thing happened to my mate when he was digging. Another punter took a fancy to one of the records in his yes pile and decided he'd just take it and pay for it!

Guest Symatic

Here's one you guys might be able to help me with. I know I've heard this little 2 bar instrumental break at the beginning of this track used somewhere, but I can't remember where!

isn;t that sample on one of Noka and M_cues loopers?

sounds a bit madlib-y otherwise, but then he has probably sampled everything

I remember losing my shit when I found this break, after spending one sweaty summers day digging it was worth it. This is why I still buy any pre-school/nursery rhyme/themed records

Famously sampled for UNKLE - Lonely Soul

Plus the rest of the album is dope, loads for sampling.

I know it well Phology, although I've never found a copy so far. I do always check the kids records for all potential samples though.

Joe - I was half expecting him to notice, but in the end he put half of his 'yes' pile back anyway 'cos he didn't have enough money (probably needed it for shovels, rope and quick lime).

• Like 2