Slicing in Maschine

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

So... I'm massively enjoying using Maschine - particularly slicing things up with the dials and LCD screen rather than using a mouse and monitor - but I've encountered an issue that I can't seem to get around. Perhaps I'm being completely dense.

I loaded up a drum break and then sliced it up into individual hits.

I can assign those hits to different pads, play them as a drum kit and make a beat out of them, but when I save them all I have is the original sample which presumably has additional data attached which relates to the slices I made.

I want them to be separate samples so that I can effect them differently - pitch them down, run them through different chains etc. - how do I do that? Is Truncate my secret ally? I've read through loads of the manual, watched online videos and worked through tutorials etc. but I can't seem to find anything helpful (just comments with people saying "why would you want to do that?" - because that's how I've always worked with samples and samplers and that's how I want to work with Maschine, dammit!)

It's not a huge issue - I could obviously slice the samples elsewhere and then bring them into Maschine pre-cut - but my wish for Maschine is to use the hardware as much as possible and this seems like something which should be simple to do... and yet I can't seem to do it.

Ah yes, they changed how this worked and I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it. I'll have a look when I get a chance if nobody's solved it, I think rockwells suggestion of 'apply to' a new group is potentially on the money...

Guest petesasqwax

I take it 'apply to' and sending the slices to another group didn't work then?

It did...and then it didn't. I was able to apply them all to a new group and to different pads, but when I saved them it was just the one original sample. Maybe this is a hangup of mine that I need to get past and accept that I should do things differently with Maschine than with other things I'm used to. I'm presuming that, despite not actually chopping the sample into different parts, I can still effect them all differently within Maschine so maybe I should content myself to that.

That said, I suppose I could just load a fresh instance of the sample to a group of pads and then truncate each one so that it only contains the element I want to assign to that pad.

Guest petesasqwax

Hitting 'Truncate' will make a new sample out of each slice and take away the possibility to tweak the start-/end points. You can then save them as new sounds if you want or you could just save the whole project to keep it as is or save as a Group for loading up in other projects.

Actually, this could be EXACTLY what I'm after

Am I getting this wrong though, is it just the saving that's causing a problem?

If so, just right clicking on each sound in the new group should yield a 'save as' option. Equally right clicking on the group tab should also give you the same option - this is fine if you only want to reopen these chops as a group, not individually.

My only other suggestion, and I know you want to avoid the mouse ideally, but just to rule out bugs if you're having saving issues try saving via clicking on screen just to be sure perhaps?

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, it's just the saving. The 'Apply To' worked perfectly for mapping the hits to different pads, but when I did "save as" on each sound in the new group I opened the folder to which I saved everything and discoverered... 16 identical copies of the original loop :/

Hitting 'Truncate' will make a new sample out of each slice and take away the possibility to tweak the start-/end points. You can then save them as new sounds if you want or you could just save the whole project to keep it as is or save as a Group for loading up in other projects.

I hope so, you're definitely not asking crazy things of the software - these are its basic functions.

Truncating your slices after slicing is very useful, ad it's rendering a new bit of audio that can't mess about on you later on. Mine at least has a glitch where some low freq sounds that require a precise zero crossing point truncation so as not to click at one end or the other of the sample, will be fine when you're working on a project. But when you close and reopen it, the start and end points move a minute fraction and audio clicks reappear. The truncate means this can never happen.

Guest petesasqwax

To clarify - say I was using the Skull Snaps break (from "It's A New Day") as an obvious done-to-death example. I could load it into Maschine, slice it automatically into the number of chunks I specify, tweak the start and end points to get them bang on & then Apply To different pads. Excellent. All I want to do then is export those samples to make a kit which I could use with something other than Maschine i.e. Kick1-Skull.wav, Kick2-Skull.wav, Hihat1-skull.wav, Snare1-Skull.wav and so on

Guest petesasqwax

I hope so, you're definitely not asking crazy things of the software - these are its basic functions.

That's what I figured - I just don't seem to have got the hang of doing it yet. Annoyingly I'm obviously at work at present and can't try things out until this evening.

Yeah, it's just the saving. The 'Apply To' worked perfectly for mapping the hits to different pads, but when I did "save as" on each sound in the new group I opened the folder to which I saved everything and discoverered... 16 identical copies of the original loop :/

Yes, truncate and/or saving the whole group rather than individual sounds will stop this nonsense.

Guest petesasqwax

Yes, truncate and/or saving the whole group rather than individual sounds will stop this nonsense.

Beautiful news! Is it Maschine O'Clock yet?

• Like 1

Just drag the apply to button to a new group, if you want individual samples you then go to each sample editor and hit truncate, however....

When you do this in maschine it will save the slices to the user folder with crappy file numbering, personally i create a new folder for the break, then do a save sample on each sample in its sample editor, then go to the briwser and drag each sample back over itself, now when you close maschine it will only keep your saved samples and it will delete all the crap.

Small aside, Maschines slicer is actually pretty crap, using something like Recycle or Reaper to slice n dice is a much more robust set up.

Guest petesasqwax

Ok - I shall experiment. I've done very minimal dragging of anything - strictly twist the knobs and press the pads/buttons.

You could be right about slicing, but I don't have Recycle or Reaper... and they don't have dials or LCD displays #swingsVSroundabouts :)

Guest petesasqwax

I obviously have keyboard/touchpad on the laptop it's connected to so that's not a massive issue, but I want to use the hardware as much as is absolutely possible. Maschine slicing is fine for me. Made my first basic loop on the fucker last night. Verdict: Maschine is DOPE!

Guest petesasqwax

Yo Pete, how do you like the pads? Are they sensitive? Which Maschine did you purchase? Are you reading this at work? Ever been in a Turkish prison? Like it when Scruffs rubs up and down your leg?

I've got Maschine Mk1 with v 2 of the software. The pads are silky smooth - "funky fresh like a barrel full of monkey flesh" as the Ruffneck might say - and excellently responsive. I'm not only reading this at work, I'm reading it whilst eating Chilli Heatwave Doritos - I am living the (slightly moist) dream, f'real! I'm not down with Scruffs - strictly Dickies - and whilst I haven't been to one, I would be prepared to go to a Turkish prison in order to defend my right to get my Dickies on. I could even watch films about gladiators whilst there...

• Like 1