But no matter what I do, the needle keeps skipping

jeljms

Since I packed my Pdx 2000 away, I've been having a problem setting up the tonearm weight - no matter what setting I have it on, the needle will skip. If I put more weight on the tonearm it seems fine towards the outside of the record but if it is towards the centre of the record, the needle will skip backwards. And if I take the weight off, it skips forward. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Something similar happened to me once and turned out the tonearm had been damaged. Do you think that could be the case with your PDX? Was it stored flat or on its side?

It was stored flat but it's possible something was pushing against the tonearm - it seems like the antiskate could be the issue but I don't know. How could you tell if the tonearm was damaged? There's nothing that I'm looking at that make's me know that for sure (but that could just be my ignorance).

Guest Symatic

yeah sounds tone arm-y. Is it set at the right height? Should be pretty flat compared to the platter, or tilting very slightly down towards the platter

yeah sounds tone arm-y. Is it set at the right height? Should be pretty flat compared to the platter, or tilting very slightly down towards the platter

I got it as flat as I could by setting it as low as it can go with the tonearm height adjust - but there is definitely a slight tilt down towards the platter. I balanced the tonearm as well so it was effectively weightless and then started to apply pressure with the counterweight until it stayed in the groove but it needed between 5 and 6 on the dial for that to happen, which seems too much. And even then it started skipping when I put the needle down towards the centre of the record.

Guest rasteri

Probably the horizontal tonearm bearing. if you remove the headshell and swing the tonearm left and right you'll probably notice it gets stuck in certain places rather than moving freely.

You'll need a new tonearm, but I've been looking for one for months with no success.

• Like 1

Probably the horizontal tonearm bearing. if you remove the headshell and swing the tonearm left and right you'll probably notice it gets stuck in certain places rather than moving freely.

You'll need a new tonearm, but I've been looking for one for months with no success.

Thanks Rasteri - I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens.