Describe your production process...

JHouse

The minimalism approach to beats and production is definitely inline with my goals. I'd rather be 80% with a few things, than 2% with 100.

Thanks again for all the input guys, in addition to the variety of production methods.

• Like 3

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Here my production technique, I tend to just limit myself to either my 2500 or 1000 nowadays. Depending on my mood, whether I want to lazy about on the sofa or have a nice chilled out session on the recliner with the 1000 to escaping the wife and sitting in the man corner with the rest of my gear and my 2500.

I normally record various samples of the record in mono left and right with the threshold setting at about -20, with the 128mb ram expansion that gives me just over 23 minutes in mono to record bits that catch my attention, maybe bits that I want to use to for the beat I'm working on and maybe something that could be used at a later date for another beat. Once I got my samples done, I then save them in my samples folder on my compact flash card.

Next step is to load, chop, tune the samples I want to use as one shot, note on samples. Occasionally I might find a dope little loop that I use instead of chopping it up into individually one shot samples. Once I've got my samples assign into pad bank A on the pads the next step is to play around and find something that sounds good and record it into the different sequences that I require.

Next step is to load up 16 different pre-recorded drum breaks, assign them all to pad bank b on the machine. I then time stretch them into the machine at the same bpm as my beat I'm working on, switch them all to loop and hold in JJ-OS, then listen to see which breaks work and sound good with my sample chops I've record. I normally select a couple of breaks then chop them into there individual hits, layer them together and then go into trim mode and delete the unwanted breaks and individual hits before I save the entire memory in the project file it saved in. Next step is to hit the grid edit screen where I mess about recording the drums for the different sequences.

Next step is the bass which I normally find a nice slap bass, sine wave or 808 that I tune and pitch till it sounds right then I use the 16 level mode on the MPC and play about till I find a nice patten and record it for the various sequences. Next step is to see if it needs other parts layered over to give it some depth in different sequences, I might 16 level some different parts over the top if needed, add vocals etc.

Once it done, I then play around with the internal efxs to give it a little character and flavour so to speak. Then I go into song mode then built the sequences in order and converting it into a take before uploading to soundcloud.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...