iOS devices suitable for Audio production?

To keep the "lust" topic clean and since it seems some interest at the forum on iOS devices for audio... let's try to make an useful thread on it, starting for the linked cdm article which talks about the new (new) iPad as audio tool.

http://cdm.link/2017/03/329-ipad-looks-like-affordable-music-app-machine/

Now a bit of my thoughts for those who are considering invest some money and time into iOS devices but they still want to keep on budget... ;)

Firstly the new (new) iPad seems a good start point uptodate to enjoy the full experience (latest iOS version, enough ram and not lots of drawbacks against the similar price actual iPads) but also I want to share my personal approach (more underground and near to regular mpc/sampler user 'cause I'm getting old cof cof).

A brief history...

I started with the iPad 3 (the first retina called new Ipad, that's why I call the new "new iPad" with new (new) iPad lol. Apple sometimes is weird as an granny elbow)

These (the 3rd gen) was the last iPad with 30 pins connector (meanwhile on iPhones was the 4S) so iPad 4 gen (updated with better cpu) and iPhone 5 were the first with lightning connector.

This is important related to camera adaptor kits (cck) and docks and also about which iOS version they could handle (ie my old iPhone 4 is 30 pins and is stuck on iOS 7.3, meanwhile the iPad 3 is updated to iOS 10 if I'm not wrong...) so,

If you are considering get old devices and use them only for audiomidi purposes then you will have to search a bit about what cck/docks you will need.

Continuing with the example of the iPad 3rd gen I used it with dedicated 30 pins devices (irig midi, behringer is202 dock...) and also with cck (30 pins version) and the proper audio interface or midi controller (more on this later). Both options had pros and cons but could give you a cheap and useful "one-task-machine" (sound module, sampler, looper, midi translator, fx unit...) without glitches or latency. Sometimes working better for these task than as telephone (word).

The main drawback for the old 30 pins devices was its cck hasn't the abbility to charge battery and thise devices which can charge it lacked in usb host abbility forcing users to use plain midi cables and lefting the far from cheap usb controllers... the most brave modded their docks to gain all but at their own risk of course...

http://www.untergeek.de/2013/01/tech-hack-alesis-io-dock-with-usb-hub/

In the meantime until iPad pro arrived with its new cck usb3 adaptor(more on this later) there were some third party solutions like iconnectivity devices cappable of iPad interconnection (iPad to iPad or iPad to mac/pc) including usb host (multiple hub) and even audio flow between devices. These aren't cheap but make the trick for lost of users. But as I started iPad pro came with a new cck which bring iOS realm a long wished feature: devices charge... but not only for Pro series, it works for all lightning devices (that includes iPods, iPhones from 5, iPad mini and above...) so everyone can plug their gear into them!

http://cdm.link/2016/03/tested-apple-finally-lets-you-charge-and-use-usb-on-ipad/

Well... if these are class compliant of course...

What it means?

Well class compliant devices are these which doesn't need a dedicated driver to work. Sometimes called "driverless" but these can have drivers for advanced features on desktop sometimes (like the focusrite scarlett series). There are list of these devices on auria wiki or digitaldjtips articles.

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/10/how-to-use-your-dj-controller-with-your-ipad/

So that's it. A short introduction on iOS realm for music making to start. Obviously we can talk about apps and workflows (from AudioBus virtual cable to specific all-in-one apps like Korg Gadget) but I will love see how it flows instead of puking more madness which nobody asked for :V

Cheers!

Guest petesasqwax

Hehe - I was recommended the 222 by a very well informed friend ;)

I asked Leonie to get it with her Amazon Prime account, but she somehow managed to pay with an expired card so it never arrived. Getting it myself seems like the best option at this stage, although I might try the iRig I have which would allow me to plug the iPad into the charger as well as input audio

• Like 1

AudioBus 3 is alive. Take a look about how powerfull is getting iOS as platform.

Also take a look at Garageband 10 for iOS with its unique features such a Live Loops, Alchemy synth and IAA support (only avairable for powerfull iPads but not Pro only)

In other moment we could look into sampling apps if someone is interested...

Don't worry if we end talking about djing into djing forum Pete... :V

Yes that little hack is amazing but don't forget iOS only accepts one audio interface at time (the first you plug) so keep in mind for more than one turntable setup or if you want to use dj controller (o whatever) with included soundcard (audio interface) in junction with other one (a focusrite, presonus, Roland... :wink wink:)

So it's possible to connect more than one USB peripheral and use its midi cappabilities but if these have audio interface (class compliant) then iOS will use the first you plugged. Little drawbacks for great possibilities...

Guest petesasqwax

Got it!

Right now I'm losing my mind over these guys: Olympia Noise Company

I grabbed a few apps over the weekend: I shelled out for iMPC just to have it (what the hell, it was payday) and also grabbed Launchpad plus a load of other things I had already bought on my iPhones (Moog Filtatron being probably the best, but annoyingly there are loads - like Animoog - which I paid for on iPhone and will have to repurchase on iPad if I want them on there).

What I'm probably going to grab first is an iRig MIDI (30 pin) so that I can try out Ondes and Chordian with my hardware synths. The idea of that is fucking AWESOME and I need it in my life

I bought one lately to craft my own standalone keytar synth (with the old iPhone 4) and it's awesome how stable is. Charging the device is also a plus so I'm starting wondering the battery implementation for it... ;)

If you are interested in midi madness there are some interesting apps to check from Modstep to Auxy... Fugue machine, loopseque... and for mpc like (pointed in my previous post as "samplers") iMpc, beathawk and Beatmaker2 (for old iPads) or iMpc pro, beathawk 2 and soon-coming BeatMaker 3...

Guest petesasqwax

I bought one lately to craft my own standalone keytar synth (with the old iPhone 4) and it's awesome how stable is. Charging the device is also a plus so I'm starting wondering the battery implementation for it... ;)

Hehe - I saw a few phone charging batteries at the supermarket for half price the other day and bought the lot :d

If you are interested in midi madness there are some interesting apps to check from Modstep to Auxy... Fugue machine, loopseque... and for mpc like (pointed in my previous post as "samplers") iMpc, beathawk and Beatmaker2 (for old iPads) or iMpc pro, beathawk 2 and soon-coming BeatMaker 3...

Maybe even as recently as a few weeks ago I wouldn't have appreciated how much amazing funMIDI can be, but I've seen the light and I'm ALL OVER that good stuff!

Guest petesasqwax

Patterning is really good

That was what first caught my attention. Exploring their other products totally blew me away. Their approach is really original and innovative - it encourages you to think about music production in different ways I think.

Here's my little Mobile set up I've just put go together :

iPad 4th Gen

Midi Fighter Twister

Korg microKey

£10 Ikea laptop "thingie"

The iPad has got a lightening to USB 3 plugged into it. Into the USB port is a little USB hub and the lightening port has a battery pack plugged into it. This charges the iPad and also provides the juice for the Midi Fighter Twister and microKey. the iPad can only power one at a time without the battery pack. I just need some shorter cables to tidy the underneath up a bit.

The Midi Fighter has 4 banks or 16 knobs which when paired with Korg Gadget is really great :)

Guest petesasqwax

Dan - that's a SICK little setup you have there! It looks excellent (I thought it was a single unit at first!) and offers some seriously powerful options!

David - TOO ill!

Fuck, gents - I got work to do :d

Pete check out Looptunes, its the guy who wrote the Akai MPC software (Desktop) and designed most of the two new hardware units specs (apparently) before leaving to write apps.

It was like launchpad but he just added synced somg decks for playing full tunes.

Weird app with a strange direction but worth a look.

• Like 1

Mutis where did you get that chord sheet ?

I had a link to the same one online but cant find it ?

http://www.bandcoach.org/KSC/diagrams.html

https://www.joytunes.com/blog/learn-to-play/piano-chords-for-beginners/

;)

Check also the second video from my previous post about AB3 which talks about the new midi flow plugins for AB3 for scaling notes and so. People are asking for chord pluging at AB forum so maybe the dev will drop something on this in the future...

• Like 1

Turns out the battery pack will also run the sound card too, I've got my own makeshift MPC Live! :)

Downloaded AudioBus 3 last night, midi FX will be interesting! I really want Modstep too but don't really wanna pay £20 quid for it. Just waiting for Beat Maker 3 now.

• Like 2

Nah its a mess, 1 never trust a developer who builds a mixer in their software with no pan/balance, thats always a warning sign, 2 it is an absolute mess with IAA or AUv3 3 the UI is a hodge podge at best, they have no idea at all about UX.

All that said i would enjoy using it still if it wasn't a crash/bug fest with AU and IAA

• Like 1