Were you ever a poser?

JHouse

8th Grade summer I decided to be Mod, which lasted exactly a week. I was sportin' a trench coat, during the heat of the summer, walking around thinking was I mad cool. The following weekend I was punk, with seriously spiked hair and a trench coat that read "Mods are wankers" scribbled on the back. This lasted a day. After that, I think I just decided to be myself.

• Like 2

I've never really been a poser as such but I've always been Punk Rock !..

It seriously annoys my missus that I still think i'm 17 years old and play my Dead Kennedys or Bad Brains and Flipper records...she doesn't understand Punk Rock,she likes terrible 80s rubbish like Prince, Kajagoogoo and Heaven 17..sometimes I have to play that evil shit for her on Saturday nights when she's had a drink and it drives me insane.

She reckons shes the ultimate 80s chick but doesn't even like the B-52s for fucks sake and pulls funny faces like I've just done a turd all down our pet dogs back or something when I try to sneak on old Siouxsie and the Banshees tracks during her poxy YouTube playlist she makes me put on .

Bitch.. :p

I'm so Punk Rock I told her I was getting 'Stay Dead' tattooed on my fingers whether she approved or not but she threatened to divorce me so I didn't do it.

Meh...

And yeah ,All Mods are fucking wankers !
(except for the ones in the Quadraphenia movie who are super cool and I'd love an old Vespa G.S. scooter with all the trimmings on it too now I come to think of it hehe)

• Like 1

I don't think I ever have, in terms of pretending to like something I don't like, or pretending not to like something I do like (unless it's for trolling purposes on DV :p). Even when I was 12 or 13, I could never see the point of it really. Like, all the kids at school who pretended to love hip-hop and electro, walking around with boomboxes and learning to body pop and shit, but as soon as that was no longer "in", they dropped it all like a hot brick. I just didn't see the point in that. There were probably kids that pretended to love Run DMC who went home and listened to Wham! albums, hoping nobody would ever find out, lol.

I remember sitting next to this one kid in class that was a big fan of Status Quo. He had the band name and some of their album titles written on his pencil case, lol. I can't stand Status Quo and couldn't stand them back then either, but I remember talking to that kid about them and his face suddenly changed, like he had this rare opportunity to talk about something he was genuinely passionate about, and to me that was cool cos I could relate to it.

• Like 3

This ish is literally making me laugh.

@Danswift - Your wife has terrible taste in music. I love the 80's, but the B-52s suck. Oh wait, you like them. Sorry, had you two mixed up. In any case, Siouxsie and the Banshees were legit and a good representative of the 80s.

Oh man, I haven't heard of the movie Quadraphenia since the mid 80s. I remember it being a good movie laden with dope ass Vespas, too. Would really like to have one, but parts are a bitch to locate, plus the scooter is mad expensive unless you're a coke dealer. I definitely wouldn't settle for the Honda Vespa poser scooters. Not to-day.

• Like 1

As a skater I was always raised to hate posers, however, I was consistently wearing surfer tees growing up and I've never surfed before. I guess I never thought of it as posing as a surfer, but in retrospect it's kind of posery to wear a bubblegum surfing wax tee if you don't surf.

Dan, wait until your wife hears my '80s mix.

• Like 3

The B-52s can fuck off.

I used to wear surf gear when I was about 10 but I grew up in Cornwall where everyone was wearing that shit. I didn't surf and had no intention of learning, but I didn't see it as pretentious to wear Billabong tees. They were just clothes to me.

However, I did rock skate gear in my teens and had a skateboard.

If you can make it Dan 'Rock Lobster' Swift we'll be golden !

L-L-Love Shack is a little too 1990s sounding for my particular taste btw even though it was recorded in 1989 thats close enough for me thank you

@Rocklobster Well-
Katrina and the Waves sang Walking On Sunshine but I always get them confused with Martha and the Muffins who did the Echo Beach track if its any consolation, which I don't suppose it is really, now I come to think of it ..

• Like 2