Where do you enjoy Spinning the most. Weddings, Clubs or House-parties

Veektoria

I’ve done a number of mobile gigs which were nice. But getting into a club is eventually one of my main goals. I have deejayed before for a lot of people who didn’t give a damn and for very little money.

Given that i am still new to this industry i would love to know which location do you enjoy spinning the most?

Lets go...

• Like 1

I don't play out anymore these days but when I still did my favourite gig was always at my friends pub's Northern Soul night that I played at with another DJ buddy.

I used to have such a great time spinning records there and the vibe was always really cool with the punters which is more or less the same at any Northern Soul night I've attended tbh.

The funny thing is I was still a tower crane driver at the time and often when work over-ran (it was a mid-week thing) and I couldn't get home in time to change I would turn up in orange hi-viz work clothes which confused the punters and staff alike as they would think I'd come to fix something that was broken like a pipe in the cellar hehe..I'd be stood there playing tunes and people would think the hi-viz gear was part of the act.

Flol I should have called myself DJ Hard Hat !

• Like 1

1. House parties - you don't get paid much but you have more freedom of the type of music you play and tend to have an amazing time.

2. Clubs - pay better than house parties but may be stuck playing a certain genre. And the crowd can totally dictate what you spin

3. Weddings - Paid the most but you're pigeon holed into playing what the bride and groom want. Your crowd response is hit or miss. You'll be bored out of your mind for a bit. Setup and tear down sucks royally, especially if you're providing sound. But in the end it's mucho deniro! !

I just did a wedding on Saturday. It was ok, but blows because you end up playing the same 'floor fillers' as the crowd is a mix bag. But the money is just too good to turn down.

I love clubs.. Especially when they kick off. Ministry of Sound was fantastic for that; however one of my best gigs was a house party. I ended up spinning for 6 hours straight and it went a bit mental.

I have only ever done one wedding - my own. I loved it and heard every record I wanted to but will never do another.

Edited by GNOD
  • Like 1

While I've had some of my best times spinnin' at house parties and a couple raves, I'd have to say DJn in my bedroom is where I enjoy it the most. That said, I need to get out more, 'cause throwing down in the forest sounds delightful.

They can all be good or bad depending on the clientele and the gig. Most bar sets are boring IMO but that's to do with where i've done them - the ones you can play exactly what you want are cool, unless it's because everyone is totally apathetic about the tunes.

Weddings are good if its people who want the music you like. I think more and more people who get married want to do it "their way", hence want specific music. Basically, weddings where you can play wu are good fun.

Club sets prob have the biggest pay off/satisfaction when they go well.

I like house parties most. Then clubs. Then weddings.

House parties are just fun. Clubs are fun but people can suck. Weddings are stressful and the people generally suck. Interesting that generally the fun to not list is the inverse of gigs that pay well.

• Like 1

House parties are the best but I've had good gigs at various other places (bars, clubs, music venues with live bands, etc.). Funny how not needing the gig allows you to dictate your own rules. It's even better when you do something a little different and people are actually into it. I would only ever do a wedding if it was somebody I know. Otherwise there are just too many expectations for what the DJ is supposed to do. No thanks.

Dj'ing at weddings is rght up there with pushing razors in to your eye balls.

High street clubs are full of self important tarts with strange eyebrows who think there track request is the most important thing in the history of time.

(From age 17 to late 20's I played most weekends in high street venues and done a handful of weddings every summer for peeps I knew..... this resulted in fierce distane for the general "on the piss" public and if I'm honest people in general)

Doing sets at scratch nerd events is fucking ace.

House parties are fucking hilarious fun and you can get really munted.

Specific genre nights in clubs is always a great gig, punters are there because they love the music rather than jus being out on the pull or piss up.

• Like 4

House parties are the most intimate/fun. I earned my DJ legs by blowing out home theater systems by being too drunk to hear the damn music. It's where I learned to actually read a crowd.

Chances of getting laid that night: 80%

-

Clubs were always stressful, programmed, and precise. I actually picked up mobile gigs from people at the club, so it was worth it.

Chances of getting laid that night: 50%

-

I did a few weddings (one of them that was dry and no alcohol). Had to download the clean versions of every song. Never again.

Chances of getting laid that night: 10%

• Like 4

High street clubs are full of self important tarts with strange eyebrows who think there track request is the most important thing in the history of time.

Hahaha..that is fucking funny, but its sadly all too true.

:d

• Like 1

Don't forget the compulsory pushy aunt on any stag do Paul!

They may not have been let out in while, but they're more than ready to show everyone how it's done and instruct the DJs on what's "really big in Eastbourne".

Ah the memories :( :)

That moment when you spot a marauding hen night staggering towards the venue your playing at..... "shudder"

Have you ever seen a hen do that doesn't have a pushy aunt who's given them self the job of pack leader and in charge of being a gob shite towards the dj?

Come to think of it the ratio of stag nights vs hen Ive experienced is like 1 stag to 30 hen.... Im guessing most blokes head to the strip clubs or something.

Probably what has to be right up there in my top 5 dj experiences was when Matt/Rock Well and I was dj'n in a small club when a hen and stag do both happened to turn up. I think some kinda full moon shit happened as the two notoriously pain ass groups seemed to of canceled out each others hateful antics and merged to make for a cracking atmosphere. If my memory serves me right it was a time when Matt and I use to play out a lot together so we had lots of dj team routines which set the place off. When compared to what I play out on now it boggles my mind to remember we use to take 500+ records, 4 Technics and mixers out with us back then.

• Like 2

House parties are the best but I've had good gigs at various other places (bars, clubs, music venues with live bands, etc.). Funny how not needing the gig allows you to dictate your own rules. It's even better when you do something a little different and people are actually into it. I would only ever do a wedding if it was somebody I know. Otherwise there are just too many expectations for what the DJ is supposed to do. No thanks.

You make a valid point. I feel like Weddings are generally super demanding! from both sides because well the air, most of the time seems to scream "perfection" but hey, maybe that's just me? :rolleyes: