Jeff Weiss' Supreme Clientele review

joeClockwork

That was me mate... one of my two uses round these parts ;)

Agree on Supreme Clientele. It came out just I was think Wu was over - I was never big on '...Forever' and the solo projects were sliding in terms of quality around this time. The less said about 'Wu-affiliate' projects, the better too.

When I saw this had dropped, it barely registered until two things occurred a couple of weeks later. Firstly, my mate was playing Cherchez le Ghost in their car and although it was never my favourite track, it was original and seemed to be way off what the Wu formula had become. Then, Dave from De La Soul name checked it as his favourite album if the year so far and that really made me go check it out - not because I had any great faith in his musical recommendations, but back then De La seemed about as far from Wu as you could get and it just had to be quality.

Suzy,..throw it out the window !

Suzy!

Don't play with me mother..

Sue!!

:d

I fucking love the album Joe, and its probably my favourite of all the Wu Tang related records tbh.

Guest broke

Also, is it me or is Stroke of Death one of those 'is this a joke or what??' moments?

It reminds me of a stickered loop routine

Suzy,throw it out the window !

Suzy!

Sue!!

:)

We used to have entire threads on Snatchcon based on the Woodrow skit.

• Like 1

Guest broke

I've been seeing his review on the web for the last few days but haven't read it yet.

For me, Supreme Clientele is definitely Ghost's most complete album. There are tracks on Ironman and Pretty Toney that are better than anything on Supreme Clientele, but both of those albums don't quite hold up as complete albums IMO. Both of them come really close but fall off a bit at the end (i.e. 'Tooken Back' and 'Love' on Pretty Toney, 'All That I Got Is You' and 'The Soul Controller' on Ironman)

Also, is it me or is Stroke of Death one of those 'is this a joke or what??' moments?

It reminds me of a stickered loop routine

Suzy,throw it out the window !

Suzy!

Sue!!

:)

We used to have entire threads on Snatchcon based on the Woodrow skit.

Exactly - why would you want to rap over a sticker loop? I see people describing Stroke of Death as 'raw', 'gutter', 'gangsta' but to me it sounds like something you'd do for a laugh after the pub.

I don't remember the Woodrow threads on Snatch. I don't think I even heard the LP before Trick pulled the plug on the site.

"Heavy rain fucked my kicks up"

As much as I love Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords the Supreme Clientele lp tops both of those records for me personally.

It's motherfucking 'superhero time' as far as I'm concerned whenever that record drops.

The sonics,production and execution of the raps has this brilliant quality that totally draws you in to Ghostface's crazy world, both real and imagined. (which is a nice place to visit but you definitely wouldn't want to live there)

Lyrically, this is when Ghost finally hit his full stride for me.

Prior to this I think he had moments of brilliance but some where his Ghost-ness wasn't quite turned up to eleven as it later became. I think he was over shadowed on Enter... and I never fully rated Ironman and it was only really his verses on Cuban Linx that I felt revealed the Ghost greatness. Then of course, just as many of the early Wu stand outs were floundering a bit Ghost hit his stride and dominated so many solo and group projects.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

This is perfect timing - I'm going through a heavy Wu stint and, in the process of putting a load of Wu-related albums into the car, I discovered that I don't seem to have Supreme Clientele. Just picked it up to rectify that situation

I may have taken this Wu renaissance shit too far, though - Joe Young and Young Dirty Bastard are also getting a listen shortly...

Guest petesasqwax

Careful Pete, you'll end up bumping some 'mixtape' by U-God's second cousin's, carer's nephew at this rate.

Yo, for reals, god, that dude Quiet Bandit* is on some SHIT!

*which is the result of feeding "U-God's second cousin's, carer's nephew" into this thing of joy:

http://www.mess.be/inickgenwuname.php

I was caught between:

Fearless Professional (the result of entering my entire name)

Dynamic Conqueror (the result of entering my first and surname)

&

Master Observer (the result of entering Pete Sasqwax)

but then I remembered that it was the Wu which meant that I could use all of them - often at the same time!

Careful Pete, you'll end up bumping some 'mixtape' by U-God's second cousin's, carer's nephew at this rate.

yeah,apparently he goes by the name of U-Bend and he's tha real shit.

Guest petesasqwax

This line defines so much of the appeal of the early Wu material. Even if RZA didn't produce them all himself, he did this:

The common denominator was the RZA. He assembled and mixed them, adding uniform layers of grime and radioactivity, bizarre alarms and a dense twisted paranoia.

That's the key to it all, as far as I'm concerned. A lot of the longevity of an album versus a collection of individual tracks (no matter how great they might be) comes down to the coherence of it. All the random other shit that cement things together - that's what RZA often did that most other people would overlook

• Like 1