New Scratch Practice

$a!n+

i'd have to say that thats the best ive heard from you so far gabe....my fav part was at 1:49. sounds like youre actually finding a pattern. the new fader sounds nice too. wait till i get my mixer back bish, its on!

Sounds nice. Could it be you chopped up a beat from me?  :50_50:

Hehe...

Keep on rockin´!

Nah the beat was something a friend programmed. He used reason, so that why the sounds may sound familiar. He is a drummer though and plans on playing the drums live.

Thanx for checking my file. But whatcha think about the scrtach technique?

I like the bits of scratching at the start. When the main cuts kick in, the first few seconds seem sloppy though. From 1:30 onwards is the best bit. You've got crabs pretty nailed and there's some nice dicing in there. I think you're getting better but I still can kind of tell you have your weak hand on the record instead of on the fader.

I like the bits of scratching at the start. When the main cuts kick in, the first few seconds seem sloppy though. From 1:30 onwards is the best bit. You've got crabs pretty nailed and there's some nice dicing in there. I think you're getting better but I still can kind of tell you have your weak hand on the record instead of on the fader.

Thanx lotz sigma. Soon I'll have you convinced my left hand IS my strong hand. Wishful thinking. but...

Thanx. I just finally got the dicing down. I got some double time flirps and some 2 clicker variations comin soon. I also been trying that chirp crab thing that ricci rucker does that Dee pointed out. Thanx again for the feedback, it always helps! :p

i haven't thoroughly checked out your site and all the tracks but this one sounds good...cool little beat.

I think if you had a horn player laying some live jazzy lines over that it would sound dope too!

nice work!

purdy fresh man....kinda sounds like youre up tight with holding the sample...maybe let it roll out a little bit longer? cant explain really what i mean haha. the scratchs sound like they need to be EQ'd a little better but its all good practice doesnt need to be perfect ha. good shits though mang....i need to start commin to this board more i miss listening to peoples shits.

I twiddle all my flares. Even the one clicks look like I'm doing a sort of 1 fingered crab, if you get me. I don't grab the fader and hit it off. I need to practice pinch style a bit more though. I'm just not in the mood for scratching recently though. :angry:

sup with that sig? man, i wanna work on mixin man. matching beats just doesnt come natural to me though, especially after i bpm records and try to just do 3 but they just dont match up.

twiddlin is a bitch for me too, its like, my index finger is alot weaker than my middle finger so it doesnt hit it much.

Edited by iexist

I guess I'm not really twiddling as in tapping my fingers alternately. I brush them over the fader like you do with a crab. I scratch hamster, so if you do a 2 fingered crab, that gives you 2 clicks off on the fader - 2 click flares in other words.

True twiddles are a lot easier with a short sharp cut in. You gotta get your thumb nice and relaxed too or your fingers don't hit the fader all the way off. I'm still rubbish at twiddles. I think if you build up finger strength it will obviously help.

Mixing records comes with practice. I think it helps if you have good headphones so when you are cueing up the next track, you can hear every detail of it. Sometimes even hearing the cymbals hissing away will help you to pitch the record right. Also, after practicing for a while you'll find you automatically put the pitch slider pretty close to what's right, but when you're a beginner it can be all over the place. I love listening to a good hip hop DJ that mixes cos there's more of an art to it than with something like techno where you literally match the beats and count your bars and bring the track in. There's more scope for doing stuff. Not taking away anything from the techno guys cos they have to beat much perfectly to keep their tracks in time for long mixes, where hip hop mixes tend to be shorter.

Another good thing to do when mixing is to rehearse the mix in your headphones if the mixer has that function. Then you can hear what it's gonna sound like to the crowd. Try and keep the headphones on when you do the real mix too, rather than just listening to the monitors. That way there's no distraction and if the mix is going out, you can correct it. That's the way I try and do it anyway. I guess everyone has their own methods and it's like anything else - the more you practice, the better you will become.

I also been trying that chirp crab thing that ricci rucker does that Dee pointed out.

Ah you mean the 2-click to chirp combo.

Is that this?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevebluck/sc...0files/Slop.mp3

It's sloppy but I just quickly recorded it.

Yeah thats it kinda. I do it with a 3 click crab thing and a pause at the end of them kinda. As soon as I get them I'll put up a knew file. I also have some 2 click Flirps? and some chirp flares that are on a weird count that I will bust out soon. Oh and some new dicing combos. I been doing nothing but concentrating on my record hand. I try to keep my elbow as close to my side and my hand as close to and light to the record as possible It helps me clean it up, italso keeps my from looking like I am doing the robot when I scratch.