A basic multitrack transition broken down (for d00b)

Steve

I started a collab mix with some guys from DJ Forums, but it never got finished (shocker!). Here's a simple layered transition that may help you get started.

Here's a screenshot of the session. It looks more complicated than it is, because I've chopped larger blocks up into several smaller ones just so I could tweak the volume of certain parts.

Clipboard02.jpg

So in track 1 of the mix is a Fu-Schnickens track, which was the last track played by the previous DJ. I wanted to mix in a tune by Prafit, so I beatmatched it and just recorded the track, then lined it up so that the timing was right and it worked as a very basic blend - you can't actually see that now though as most of it has been cut away!

So step 1 was to take the word "kick" from the last sentence of the Fu-Schickens tune, chop it off, then move it to its own track so I could apply some echo, which gives this: -

Step 1.mp3

Even though the echo sounds like it's out of time there, it's not when it's playing over the Prafit track.

Step 2 was to cut up some of the horns in the Prafit track, so that on its own sounds like this: -

Step 2.mp3

Step 3 was to cut up some of the Prafit vocals, which on its own gives this: -

Step 3.mp3

Step 4, the last step, was to add some cuts to the first word that Prafit says in the first verse, which is just this: -

Step 4.mp3

Then combined, it all sounds like this: -

Complete Transition.mp3

So it's nothing complicated and it's a quick transition, but it just adds that extra bit of depth compared to a live mix. Also, remember that I started with a really basic transition, added cuts on certain elements of the track, then I cut away a lot of the basic transition that I started with and it's cutting bits out that is the key to it. All of the scratching is basic, as you can hear.