127 replies to this topic

#1 Motek

Motek

The artist formerly known as rmg.

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is a quick scratch vid that I made.

Would appreciate feedback on areas to work on.

please dont be too harsh ;)
Mo = born to nozl

#2 Tbtf

Tbtf

Charlie

• Elite Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

starting off on the right foot
try incorporating different rhythms into you baby scratches thats what i would recommend

once you get that learn forwards and incorporate new rhythms as well.

all-fanart.jpg

#3 Steve

Steve

Je suis Charlie

• Team DV
  • 39,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

How long have you been at it man? It sounds pretty clean, but the problem is the repetitiveness, cos it's largely the same thing over and over with very little variation.

I wrote a beginner's guide here that might help ya: -

http://www.djforums....ead.php?t=51228

You need to start incorporating other techniques and patterns, so it breaks things up a bit.

Oh yeah - I know you've been a member for a few months, but welcome to the forums.

#4 d00ban

d00ban

Coolest Mom

• Elite Member
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

hey man welcome... could also try turning your tables to battle mode and raiding em up a bit, they look a bit low. I agree with tbt, learn stabs and forwards next.

www.djdooban.com

#5 Motek

Motek

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

Cheers guys, great feedback, thank you.

I started scratching 20 years ago!

I used to mix drum and bass and learnt to scratch from trying to copy DJ Hype. Back then I used the left hand to cut, and had much better record control with my right hand.

I stopped for about 10 years but then met some old mates and we get together every few months to mess about with scratching. They forced me to switch to right hand cutting!

SO I finally bought a turntable and mixer so I could practice at home, I don't have much space with the kids and all so I can only set it up when they are not around.

I can do other stuff from what is in the vid, its just not very clean and I have real trouble moving from one style to another, e.g. incorporating even single crabs into the type of flow I did in the video.

I think this is the best next step for me, rather thank trying to learn any new techniques I should focus on refining what I know and linking it together into a more interesting routine.

I realise I will never be DMC level, but I will keep at it as I actually find scratching quite a relaxing pastime!

cheers.

PS - Thx for that guide link Steve, v useful!

Edited by rmg, 19 August 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Mo = born to nozl

#6 Mike-L

Mike-L
  • Elite Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

They forced me to switch to right hand cutting!

Contrary to that advice , you dont need to cut with strong hand on the fader. Its still crucial to develop your weaker hand which ever way you cut. Qbert and Dstyles are both strong hand on the record ..and they're not bad with the fader either! Its more important to be patient with your weaker hand if you want your scratching to be well rounded. Choose whats most comfortable for you - you'll find tears etc difficult with you left hand but you'll find transforms etc difficult with your left hand at first as well. ..From my own experience I practiced most things on both sides for the first few years , but I as I got better i realised i was slightly more comfortable with my strong hand on the record, event though i could do most patterns both ways, but thats just me. Theres loads of sick scratchers who do it like your friends suggested too... I would guess that that way is slightly more common too - judging by the amount of left deck scratchers you see.

#7 johnny 1 move

johnny 1 move

Eddy Gordo

• Elite Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

They forced me to switch to right hand cutting!

Contrary to that advice , you dont need to cut with strong hand on the fader. Its still crucial to develop your weaker hand which ever way you cut. Qbert and Dstyles are both strong hand on the record ..and they're not bad with the fader either! Its more important to be patient with your weaker hand if you want your scratching to be well rounded. Choose whats most comfortable for you - you'll find tears etc difficult with you left hand but you'll find transforms etc difficult with your left hand at first as well. ..From my own experience I practiced most things on both sides for the first few years , but I as I got better i realised i was slightly more comfortable with my strong hand on the record, event though i could do most patterns both ways, but thats just me. Theres loads of sick scratchers who do it like your friends suggested too... I would guess that that way is slightly more common too - judging by the amount of left deck scratchers you see.

There's more subtlety to be had on the record so strong hand on the record for me.

I reckon it's easier to teach your weak hand to click quickly than it is to teach it record control.

A lot of right handers people switched to the left deck cuts when clicks got popular, but then for a while people where just draggin the record around and busting clicks... it seemed to take some time before you started seeing people with really good left hand record control...
Vertical Squirting Ho

#8 Mike-L

Mike-L
  • Elite Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

There's more subtlety to be had on the record so strong hand on the record for me.

I reckon it's easier to teach your weak hand to click quickly than it is to teach it record control.

A lot of right handers people switched to the left deck cuts when clicks got popular, but then for a while people where just draggin the record around and busting clicks... it seemed to take some time before you started seeing people with really good left hand record control...

From my own experience i agree with that totally. Didnt want to come across like his mates dictating what he should and shouldnt do though! I think the worst way to practice is to work on your strong hand too much and neglect the weak hand i.e. get good babies, and tears with the strong hand, and then switch sides when you want to practice transforms etc you soon hit a dead end with your scratching.

(On a side note - johnny - not going to be able to make the jam sesh this week, sorry mate, hopefull see you at the next one!)

#9 djfoly

djfoly

ginger cunt flap

• Elite Member
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

I think you should learn stabs and cuts....for me they are the most important step in learning record/fader hand coordination. if you need a tutorial vid give us a shout on the new section and I'll chuck some examples up. Practice a lot if you can I know it can be hard when you have kids (I have four) but progress begets progress in my opinion. You look to be quite skillful in terms of fine motor skills and rhythm. Anyway man welcome to the boards! :)

That would be particularly gruesome to see Bob's orange corpse wiggled about by you using some poles attached to his hands and feet. You could attach a rod to his jaw as well so he could deliver some gags as he did it.

#10 d00ban

d00ban

Coolest Mom

• Elite Member
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I would defo go with strong hand on fader.

I did it the other way around and it takes me ages to warm up to get the control on my record hand and its never quite where I want it to be still, very frustrating. I can pick up scratches the other way round pretty quickly but I just can't be arsed getting it up to speed like my other hand now.

EDIT meant this to be record not fader... now it will actually make sense.

www.djdooban.com

#11 Wax On

Wax On
  • Elite Member
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

strong hand on the record for me.

#12 Jimmy

Jimmy

Cross-dresser

• Elite Member
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

strong hand on the record for me.

ditto!

Please god don't use Jimmy to justify anything. (Nothing but love Jimbo, but we all know you're a unicorn and can't be copied).

#13 djfoly

djfoly

ginger cunt flap

• Elite Member
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

It doesny matter which hand is where as long as you practice like a beast!|

That would be particularly gruesome to see Bob's orange corpse wiggled about by you using some poles attached to his hands and feet. You could attach a rod to his jaw as well so he could deliver some gags as he did it.

#14 Motek

Motek

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Well this thread has convinced me to clear some space in my garage and put a shelf up for my deck and mixer :)

Having to pull it all out of the cupboard and set it up when the wife and kids are out is way too much effort, I usually ended up just playing xbox instead.

cheers for all the comments, really interesting to see the debate on record hand, Im going to stick with strong hand cutting for now (I only just got used to it :))

Will do another vid soon to show progress.
Mo = born to nozl

#15 Motek

Motek

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

if you need a tutorial vid give us a shout on the new section and I'll chuck some examples up. Practice a lot if you can I know it can be hard when you have kids (I have four) but progress begets progress in my opinion. You look to be quite skillful in terms of fine motor skills and rhythm. Anyway man welcome to the boards! :)

I am being thick but I cannot see the section with all the video examples? Is it up yet? Or do you just mean the scratch techniques forum?

cheers.

PS - 4 kids - mad props to you! 2 is enough for me :)
Mo = born to nozl

#16 Motek

Motek

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

How long have you been at it man? It sounds pretty clean, but the problem is the repetitiveness, cos it's largely the same thing over and over with very little variation.

You need to start incorporating other techniques and patterns, so it breaks things up a bit.

Oh yeah - I know you've been a member for a few months, but welcome to the forums.

I read your great guide. I can understand and do most of the basic scratches but I have no friggin idea how you turn them into your basic scratching example which sounds excellent.

A video would be lovely if you ever get the chance, or even just a breakdown of which technique is being used.

Failing that come to Stevenage and I will supply the beer if you take me through it :p
Mo = born to nozl

#17 djfoly

djfoly

ginger cunt flap

• Elite Member
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

if you need a tutorial vid give us a shout on the new section and I'll chuck some examples up. Practice a lot if you can I know it can be hard when you have kids (I have four) but progress begets progress in my opinion. You look to be quite skillful in terms of fine motor skills and rhythm. Anyway man welcome to the boards! :)

I am being thick but I cannot see the section with all the video examples? Is it up yet? Or do you just mean the scratch techniques forum?

cheers.

PS - 4 kids - mad props to you! 2 is enough for me :)

Hah hah nah its not up yet give me a week and Ill do a quick tutorial vid of stuff you need to know to get on the right tracks....it wont take you long to get them but they are really worth learning...stabs, cuts, transforms, baby/scribbles, flares i think everyone starts with some combination of these cuts if you master them you can then learn any scratch as they are all just variations of these movements really.

#18 Tbtf

Tbtf

Charlie

• Elite Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

I read your great guide. I can understand and do most of the basic scratches but I have no friggin idea how you turn them into your basic scratching example which sounds excellent.

A video would be lovely if you ever get the chance, or even just a breakdown of which technique is being used.

Failing that come to Stevenage and I will supply the beer if you take me through it :p

rmg, The reason why steves file sounds advanced with basic scratches is due to the fact he varies the sound by changing the rhythms and pitches of different techniques. Try double timing half timing and normal timing some of the basic scratches like babies forwards stabs ect. I think i will whip up a vid today showing how to vary timing although i am not very good at it.

all-fanart.jpg

#19 Tbtf

Tbtf

Charlie

• Elite Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

check out this video of dj excess he demostrates how to do a chrip flare combo. Towards the end of the video notice how he shows the different rhythms of the scratch. them changes rhythms while doing it.

edit watch from 1:36

all-fanart.jpg

#20 Motek

Motek

• Elite Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

check out this video of dj excess he demostrates how to do a chrip flare combo. Towards the end of the video notice how he shows the different rhythms of the scratch. them changes rhythms while doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUaY6gMONmA

edit watch from 1:36

very helpful that vid - thanks. I think my issue is that I have been scratching all this time without really getting the basics right.

Looks like I have my homework for the next few weeks!
Mo = born to nozl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users