Up2Scratch Brighton

TomYumYGC

I didn't even know there was a McDonalds there until you dragged me to the drive through! :)

Back to real life, it was a good day all round. Big up Tom for working so hard on it. Met lots of of nice new people and of course Foly and Fidel were on top form and top fellas to boot.

It was cool speaking to other DJs there who were at the same point a lot of us SSS fools were all at a once before - as in, getting into a but of a rut always cutting on their own, but reinvigorated to meet other people and find motivation and inspiration from it. It's more fun with your mates!

Top pizzas at the venue too FWIW

Really appreciate it chaps! Lots to work on for next time but off to a good start, great to meet you both and thanks for making the trip down...

Battle footage went up yesterday and showcases will be here this weekend. We're now rolling monthly and working on things for July/Aug/Sept, really excited with how things are shaping up so stay tuned! If anyone wants to keep up with things please follow us www.facebook.com/up2scratchbtn although I'll be posting info here too. Everyone is more than welcome to join us, but if anyone is interested in showcasing please get in touch and we can work something out!

• Like 3

foly and fidel cutstro's set was wicked

It was indeed!

For somebody like myself, who's far more into the musical side of things, it was just what I want to hear. I always bang on about skills being pointless if you don't know how and when to deploy them, and those guys nailed it.

Cheers guys! Enjoyed it immensely defo get in touch with Tom to organise getting involved really want to see this night grow! Such an open relaxed vibe in the place! I've got a few ideas for the future!!

F

That was dope - I really liked it

Thats such a classic loop at the start of the showcase -I dont think id ever get bored of hearing it cut up by good DJs like what Foly and Castro so obviously are

Random trainspotter question below

Was that the begining of "Solinas " by the Jedi Knights that appears at around 11.20 in

the set btw ?

For me on a personal level and speaking as an old Funk head it is really good to hear a set like that where DJs are carrying things forward from the past and still making it sound totally relevent

Good luck with the future nights you are promoting fellas

• Like 1

Ahh shoot- i had no idea that Jedi Knights had sampled that from Herbie Hancock tbh as ive never heard the album its from before ,ive got a few of HH's lps but not that one im afraid

Just checked the youtube vid of it and will give the lp a listen

Thanks for the heads up Djfoly

Foly mate, I said I liked what you did on the night, but thanks to Tom recording the audio properly, I'm really really impressed with it now! Some of the subtleties weren't coming through as strong as you were performing thing on the speakers in the venue, but I watched it back last night and you really nailed it. The samples you've chosen to cut over the loops were spot on too and tastefully cut all the way through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...