Real Talk. Slipmats

I have had my Butter Rugs for awhile. I haven't tried much else.. Most of what I have tried has caused too much drag. I'll usually keep a butter rug on my "scratch" table and a picture slipmat on the other.. Nothing wrong with switching up or getting a new picture slipmat.

I actually just came across a pair of Stanton Focus Aerodynamic Slipmats, so I am now giving those a try. It's been awhile since I have switched it up, esp on the table I mostly scratch with. If I hadn't come across these I most likely would have stuck with Butter Rugs.

Guest Symatic

I eventually bought some slip mats for the first time about a year ago. Before then it was just whatever was on there, but so many people moaned about my slipmats being to draggy that i bought some susuki slip sheets and some of the slightly thicker susuki mats, not bought for their thickness just thats what mate had spare. It took me a while to get used to em but at least now i dont feel like im scratching on a air hockey table every time i step to new decks!

Also - bring your own to gigs if you can! I ruined a really nice dubplate by scratching on a beer-soaked shit mat a d now the tune on the side that was facing down has horrible noises engrained into it

I tend to use the Suzuki ones but eventually they get dusty from old records and then I end up not wanting to put new records on there because the pristine wax gets dusty from the slipmats. So, I get new mats but then eventually slip up and forget and put a dusty record on there. I was getting to the point where it was like "how is this brand new record dusty on one side? ... Oh, it's the mats." I'm thinking I need a record cleaner. The question is, is there really any way I'm going to clean every dusty record?

I probably go through mats every other year this way.

The thing that USED to kill my mats was transporting my decks with the mats on. When you put the table int the case with the mat on the foam that holds the platter down grips the mat while the table moves just enough to stretch out the spindle hole on your slipmat. Now I take my mats off when I move my decks.

Guest Symatic

mine are upside down, partly cos they got a wack serato logo on them and partly cos they seem more slippy that way.....

thing with dust is you gotta suss whats causing it and try and cut that shit out... but if your mats are always dusty maybe cover the decks when they arent being used?

What is everyone using for their portables? I am having issues finding the right slipmat.. the handful that I have don't seem to want to catch the platter... I currently have a demonio slipmat upside down...

Guest Symatic

What is everyone using for their portables? I am having issues finding the right slipmat.. the handful that I have don't seem to want to catch the platter... I currently have a demonio slipmat upside down...

Woops,

I meant to reply to that quote haha. I just use a cut up old slipmat. One of the synergy ones people seened to have if they got their decks from richer sounds

• Like 1

Currently using Suzuki Donut with a homemade slip sheet from an antistatic inner sleeve.

I'm toying with getting some PTFE spray for the platter. I've tried polishing the platter using pledge and a really fine grade wire wool but it didn't really make much difference.

• Like 1

thing with dust is you gotta suss whats causing it and try and cut that shit out... but if your mats are always dusty maybe cover the decks when they arent being used?

One of my mats is covered in handruff from where I have flipped a well-used scratch record and scratched the other side. I've basically massaged a layer of crud into the slipmat. I don't think the performance is affected because the plastic sheet underneath is still doing its job.

Can you wash these things? Has anyone tried? Sounds like a stupid question and it probably is!

I use Tablecloth 3's BTW...

I've been using the same pair of Butter Rugs for a few years now, they're pretty much my go-to. I do like the Dave's Tablecloths and the Beat Junkies Turntable Helper mats though.

I'd like to try those Turntable Helper and also the Focus ones. My favorite are the Shadow mix edition of the Stokyo mats. They aren't as thick as their regular mix edition mats but thicker than their regular ones.

Gutter-Rugs

Tablecloths

Focusmats

Butter-Rugs

These are my slipmats of choice...

Gutter's Sewer Slime were my go to for years but they got so beat up I've stopped using them. I had the original sleeve. Gutter saw me post it on social media and said he doesn't even have the sleeve anymore... asked if I'd mail it to him for his collection which I did and regret.

A quick tangent...

JB - when I first saw the title I thought "ooh, typo! I can fix that" but then I saw it was your thread and assumed that "slimpats" was intentional. Was I right?

The joke used to be that I'm so bad with typos that I would actually purposefully make typos to make fun of myself. In this case, it was just a god's honest typo. :(