rane 62 vs pioneer djsm-s9

I opened the other thread first and hoped you'd done this :d

haha!

I have tried both. I prefer the S9 because of the effects,pads and quiet fader.

But the 62 is gonna seriously drop in price on the used market because djs are nerds and want the newest gear.

Guest Symatic

But the 62 is gonna seriously drop in price on the used market because djs are nerds and want the newest gear.

ha! i doubt it :) it says RANE on it....

The pio is supposed to be wicked according to the two people i know who have used it

Well i'm a 62 owner and i've used the S9..... here's a bit of a comparison ..

Fader - S9 is probably a bit better just because of the customisation support provided - but ultimately if you know how you can get faders to feel how you want anyway - i had to mod my 62 :-( The concerning thing i've heard is that S9's cut in calibration while plugged in to a comp is different from stand alone analogue.

Sound - both are top notch quality no issues here with either.

Midi - S9 clearly a hands down winner here : soft pads x 16 over 4 banks each with 4 modes (leaving you with blanks to program your own functions) , buttons for software effects, the big spring loaded / locked fx toggle,

Hardware FX - S9 again : From what i understood you can change them , so if you don't use an FX you can switch it out. Also the filters are configurable. Basically more customisable options on the 62. Oh and the mic channel has it's own dedicated delay fx , unlike the 62 which shares the single hardware fx across all channels

Software - Serato -: The Pioneer needs an special Pio app to configure the S9. It could be the crack in the armor if it proves to be anything but rock solid ...

Appearance - Tough one to call, i'm more of a functional person... I liked the S9 layout over the 62. I felt there was less redundancy. Having the duel screen on the S9 also helps a lot with the setup of all the new customisation options you have too.

The S9 is the best value of the two cramming more in for less - but imho it does depend on how it performs in the field, which time will tell. If the S9 proves to be as rock solid as the 62 then it seems an obvious choice....

• Like 1

Pure speculation but you'd imagine the S9 will be working the new Record box dj software once Pio unlock DVS. I know eff all about Serato Dj but the internet claims it ain't as stable as SSL so the new Pio software may adopt new users quite quickly for guys already rocking Pio SeratoDj/RecordBoxDj hardware

Pioneer Dj are in super Alpha mode at the mo, stability is obviously key but I'd be shocked if Record box dj isn't anything but a roaring success. The competitions gonna be good for users, with Serato being jus a software company there gonna have to really get in to bed with every hardware manufacturer now, NI will certainly have to respond to = interesting times ahead me thinks.

Idk 16 pads seems great and all but im kinda considering the "pioneer feel" which is like a solid vibrating metal over a rane which has the "rubber metal" feel into it which I like completely.

I haven't tried the s9s yet but if the faders will feel like the ones on the T1 then count me out.

does it come with line fader adjust too?

Or maybe Im just biased, like 62 has been my thing for like the past few years and maybe im just not open to pioneer lol

Guest Symatic

Idk 16 pads seems great and all but im kinda considering the "pioneer feel" which is like a solid vibrating metal over a rane which has the "rubber metal" feel into it which I like completely.

I haven't tried the s9s yet but if the faders will feel like the ones on the T1 then count me out.

does it come with line fader adjust too?

Or maybe Im just biased, like 62 has been my thing for like the past few years and maybe im just not open to pioneer lol

i dunno though - The 62 felt well clunky to me, i have a ttm56 and i love the feel of it, but the 62 seems kinda plasticy/clunky in comparison.... none of that dampned 'rubbery metal' feel youre talking about, which is also what i like about the 56....

Guest rasteri

As an aside, I had a ttm56 in the shop the other day and was astonished by how poorly constructed it was, particularly the EQ knobs. People had me thinking for years that they were the shit, turns out to be nonsense.

As an aside, I had a ttm56 in the shop the other day and was astonished by how poorly constructed it was, particularly the EQ knobs. People had me thinking for years that they were the shit, turns out to be nonsense.

may be poorly constructed but still seem to last well. I bought mine second hand and it looked, and smelt like it had been used as an ashtray. The faders were all gunged up good with whisky and coke by the look of it but still worked fine and does still today

personally i dont think the pio has been out and tested long enuff for it to b compared against the 62, surely u wana which is more durable/long lasting, for me thats a massive factor wen buying equipment... even the ppl who hav them , aint had em long enuff to compare.

• Like 1

They do seem to keep on going regardless though. One day when we eventually meet IRL, I'll let you undress my Scratchbox - then we'll see what "Made in Belgium" really means!

Guest Symatic

huh - i never actually opened mine up beyond messin with the fader.... but they do FEEL nice and sturdy, like i don't get any crackles and worn out pots like i do with my xone02 - which i consider pretty well constructed....

Guest rasteri

I should add that the faders and enclosure are very high quality, and the circuit boards were really well designed. But none of the top-surface controls were attached to the faceplate, they were all PCB-mount, which means that they're extremely fragile (in fact that's why it came into the shop in the first place) and the transform switches had plastic stems so they broke off.

I guess if it lasts it lasts though.

+1

I right now am fixing my friends 56s. The gain knob has lifted it self from the PCB.

I have a ttm57 and I love it. But the amount of time and contact cleaner I have used to get it to work properly is ridiculous.

They do seem to keep on going regardless though. One day when we eventually meet IRL, I'll let you undress my Scratchbox - then we'll see what "Made in Belgium" really means!

As I have one I have dissected it. It is a whole different design. The scratchbox is a Hifi mixer with an awesome crossfader. The only real downside is the small faders for cue and eq that are poor in quality.

I think i'll wait for a while and pick either of them up next year. Looking to see how the pioneer is over time. and also i'd need to have a go on one... And also they're not available or prohibitively expensive here.

The 62 here is $53,000 pesos, which at the official rate is around $5,600 USD, at the black market rate for dollars, it's still $3500

fucking insane.

Also i want to know if the s9 has the old 06 style upfader option...

I just bought a 57 which got moderately broken transporting it to Argentina and I just got the parts to repair it (pot and buttons), and my 56, which i've had for 11 years without an issue, needs it's headphone slider replaced. (although i fucked up something reconnecting the 56 and it's only working out of one channel at the minute)

so this is their current states. have to get at least one working by saturday night...

Are you getting the ultra bling gold limited version? My order says due in stock at the end of October.

I haven't decided yet mate. im not sure! it reminds me a lot of the old vestax faceplates and not sure if that's a good thing or not!

I am a sucker for limited though I have an old 05Q (red and black version)

did I read you get some new turntables too ? the pioneer ones ? my 1210s are perfectly fine but might just get some new turns for the fuck of it too - what's the turntable of choice these days anyhow?

personally i dont think the pio has been out and tested long enuff for it to b compared against the 62, surely u wana which is more durable/long lasting, for me thats a massive factor wen buying equipment... even the ppl who hav them , aint had em long enuff to compare.

To be fair pio have pretty good pedigree in build quality and in the past when they've turned there hand to scratch mixers 909/707 they were fucking tanks, but yeah time will tell.

IMO in terms of build longevity rane may have been basking in glory from the success of the 56/57 for maybe one to many years, there's no doubt there newer products are still highly desirable and easily the best option available for the majority but I've read to many stories of pot wearing and cue buttons breaking on 6 month old 62's to justify "some" of the backing the 62 gets. Then there's new seemingly cheaper constructed faders rane now make, were they trying to make the loudest clicky clack faders ever or wot..Matt how many times did you have to send back the new 61 your dj school brought?!

Still tho... dat rane sound simply has no rivals apart from maybe the scratchbox.

I'm jus trying to bring balance to the argument, like 1210's, rane always seem to get a pass thanks to there legacy. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that "they don't build em like use to" which was probably necessary to compete in the modern market, keep manufacturing in the U.S. etc...

That all said...... Pre S9 or 57mrkII I still would of brought a 62 in a heartbeat if I was a working dj and as I understand Ranes customer service is legendary.

Rasteri - be interested to know if the rotary pots are still of high standard despite there lame mounting?

My experience with the 56 is the same as everyone else's, it's a mixer that jus doesn't fucking age or wear, actually to date a 56 and 707 are the only mixers I've owned over a long period that didn't break, Vestax, Stanton and A&H on the other hand...

Edit: sorry that's every Vestax mixer I've had manage to break them selfs at some stage, not that I really know what I'm talking bout but Vestax do seem to have solid construction methods so is it fair to say the components used are jus lame and break easily?

Are you getting the ultra bling gold limited version? My order says due in stock at the end of October.

I haven't decided yet mate. im not sure! it reminds me a lot of the old vestax faceplates and not sure if that's a good thing or not!

I am a sucker for limited though I have an old 05Q (red and black version)

did I read you get some new turntables too ? the pioneer ones ? my 1210s are perfectly fine but might just get some new turns for the fuck of it too - what's the turntable of choice these days anyhow?

Yeah I have ordered the whole gold set, but for no particular reason. I decided these would be the first few things in collecting pointless dj crap. Perhaps with a view of selling it on in a few years time, or passing it on as some kind of amazing inheritance to my daughter?! I have to say as the months roll by I am getting a bit of cold feet on the decks in particular. I'm hoping the army of wealthy Pioneer fanboys would work to my advantage long term - but I'm not convinced the gold Pios are going to have the same kind of appeal as say the gold Technics did.

I can probly sneak the grand for the mixer by easily enough but the red flags may go up by the misses if I try and get two turntables through as well so in that event I will probly get the black pioneer to go with the black 1210s

I think I will treat myself to some new carts though

also need to check my laptop is compatible with serato as ive never used it before ------------- probly not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!