BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - The only record I could find at short notice

DJ Rock Well

I know I've been slacking and tonight's my only chance this week to do this. The record I was going to do wasn't what I thought it was, the backup choice I had turned out to have some food on it or something unrecordable. This was the only record that was even vaguely suitable that I had at home tonight (my records are at the studio mostly).

So... London based Kenyans making (very!) James Brown-esque funk music, Matata. 'Independence' from 1974 apparently. This record also needs a clean... sorry :$

The wavs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r81vg9qvalasvcq/matata%20samples.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Tuesday, 6th December.

• Like 1

Im sulking now because i wanted The Wombles Christmas LP that Psyche posted in the Goblin thread at the very least this month..

I was gonna do my world famous beat juggle for y'all using two vinyl copies and a couple of +/-50% modded belt drive Sanyo turntables from the 1980s. :ph34r:

Its your loss not mine.. ;)

• Like 2

I will indeed endeavour to chop it..

however, ive had to give the sampler i was using back to my son temporarily for a couple of gigs he's got coming up ..

If he can get it back to me before the deadline i'll definitely submit something and if thats not possible i'll just use the Wavs and make something regardless and post it at a later date

Ive also got a couple of completed alternative tracks i made that id like you to hear which are leftovers from both the Bob James and JB battles and they're both very different to the two tunes i entered and hopefully i'll be putting those up soon as well

On a side note ive just been reading a mad article this morning about how to build a Talkbox using a computer speaker and a toilet plunger believe it or not and im actually quite seriously tempted to give it a try lol..

Yes Dan! Definitely share your new stuff from the older battle samples, I can't wait to hear them!

Fair play if you can't get the kit in time for this one mate, hopefully that won't be the case though.

P.S. You so need to cop a sampler for yourself!!!

Keep us updated on the bog brush vocoder too!

• Like 1

I'm actually going to be buying the 404 from my son at the end of this month because he only ever uses it live anyway and he wants to get the SX ( ?)version of it for gigs plus hes also throwing in a free S2000 rackmount sampler along with the 404 which is cool..

Ive also got my SP 808 out of the cupboard recently and im pretty convinced the only thing it needs is a new zip drive to get it working properly again and even though a few of the pads are a bit dodgy i could easily bypass that problem by just using a cheap midi controller keyboard with it instead

• Like 1

I have a talkbox for sale lol

Hahaha.. :d

Flexi-

id forgotten all about it from talking to you in one of the other threads a few months ago, but ive still got that spare OP 1 expansion board for the SP 808 if youre interested in having it (ive only used it the one time as i mentioned before )

i'll happily sort you out a decent price for it if you are so send me a PM and we can arrange something or if not no worries and i will just

stick it on Ebay in the new year sometime instead, but i thought that id let you have the first refusal on it dude.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Been piecing together a really cool but unusual concept for this battle, not sure if its the right path to do but I'm enjoying myself :)

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Made this all on imaschine while waiting in a cue at dublin airport then played it through another guitar pedal app and recorded and posted it using audioshare.

• Like 5

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

but it's been used a fair bit in the ten years since!

What as a shovel? The internet is less mucky then this record ;)

• Like 3

Psych - I have since stuck it on the record cleaning machine which has helped, quite a few of the ticks are just the result of playing it when in a 'spirited' mood :d

Si - Yeah it's never that cheap... I knew the original UK press was bucks, but I see that even this US one and it's subsequent re-issue are pretty steep!

• Like 1