Ctrl-cap. New dimension for scratching.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo indeed Phil!

but it does looks like someone has plonked a blackjack sweet on the fader stem tho.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a long time ago thinking it would be nice to have velocity, displacement or even acceleration (is that a thing?) sensitive effects applied based on the crossfader. So you would scratch and depending on the way the scratch naturally sounded it would get processed / enveloped differently. Imagine see-saw chirps or something with even volume adjustment via velocity. I always thought the Rane TTM-57SL would deliver something like this. It probably exists now and I just don't know about it.

• Like 1

I've more or less gotten all the parts to build a diy (hi-res) MIDI fader that will allow for that kind of stuff. So you'd obviously get the normal crossfader position, but you can then also extract direction, velocity, accel, absolute distance from center/edge, delta/change values, etc...

And it being purely software based too, you can have super tweaked curves, and multiple curves applied, so a sharp start, but then a smoother taper up a bit, then another stretch with a linear curve, etc...

Once I get it built I'll post it, along with the code/partslist etc....

• Like 2

I think this is a REALLY good idea, but I'm not sure if the execution is there yet... The cap looks a bit awkward. But having controls on the fader could be so insanely useful. I think especially just the top and bottom the cap so you don't accidentally hit them while cutting, but there are so many times when I'd like to cue an effect or something mid-scratch without taking my hand off the record or fader, and this is a more efficient way than a footpedal. And think of doing loop station routines where you can start/stop loops right from your crossfader.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Whats the problem about a bigger knob ? You canot put a microcontroller, sensors, radio, antena and battery and circuitry without adding size.

Since now all the djs who tested ( hardocre sctachers ) say that bigger knob make easier cuts :)

Why so defensive ?

The fact that he was making a joke about big knobs was actually quite funny

The fact that you didn't get it was understandable if you are not native english speaker

The fact that you acted butt hurt kind of was really hilarious, yeah i know, i'm an asshole.

• Like 1

Whats the problem about a bigger knob ?

Bend over..I will show you.. :o

Why so defensive ?

The fact that he was making a joke about big knobs was actually quite funny

The fact that you didn't get it was understandable if you are not native english speaker

The fact that you acted butt hurt kind of was really hilarious, yeah i know, i'm an asshole.

Hahaha.. :p

Literally crying with laughter here..

It's not so much overall size as much as girth IMO...

When the Z2 launched with a reasonably fat knob quite a lot of guys I like hang out with moaned about the fader as a whole but when I swapped the original knob for a more slender Inno one, many though the whole fader had been upgraded. But in reality it was just the feeling of a more slender knob that they preferred.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

was not offended at all. Do you think size could be problematic ?

Depending on your foreplay skills, your know where your doing it right when you slide your girls knickers off and she's gushing out. It shouldn't be problematic just easy it in gently :d. Unless your taking her up the dirt track it's recommended that you might want to lube it up (petroleum jelly based products are recommended but in case of an emergency I suppose you could raid the fridge and use utterly butterly or lard, just warm it up and smother it on).

Oh wait shit.................. wrong thread :o