BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Bob's gonna be pissed!

DJ Rock Well

I started using samples a loooooong time ago, somebody bought an Akai s612 and could not get it to do anything, so it was given to me as broken, first thing i sampled was Cy Paynes cover of Rupert the Bear.

I knew sampling was just another tool when Kylie Minogue had Fubky Drummer on one of her early songs, once it becomes entwined in cheap pop music, done and done.

• Like 1

Most of the samples ive used over the years have usually come from Prog and Rock and Jazz records tbh as i never wanted to use any of the classics even though thats the tried and tested method of making Hip Hop

but then again i dont think ive ever really made anything of my own that most people would consider straight up Hip Hop by their standards anyway hehe

Flexi -I was reading somewhere recently that the Akai S612 was the first sampler that Future Sound Of London used on recordings like Papua New Guinea which is pretty amazing if thats the case ..

The sampling time on those machines is something like 8 seconds in the lowest resolution if i remember correctly

S612 is shit, it really is that simple, it was a sampler that was built and designed right on the cusp, people seem to use car analogies all the time, it was kind of like this..

Monday - Mr Ford "Hey look we have built a carriage you don't need a horse for, you can just pedal"

Tuesday - Mr Ford "Yeah forget yesterday, I brought the wrong press release, this fucker has an engine in it"

It was complete and utter garbage, and while i collect samplers, this will probably be one i never actually own again, the premium price paid by collectors for that rubbish is horrific (It is because it has a six way out that connects to old Akai analogue synths for voice replacement, which also sounded shit)

But the main reason i will never own one again, i have owned one, and used about 4 others, every single one of them gave me a pisser hahaha (Electric shock)

• Like 1

dope joe!

well nice chops, smooth as funk.

I'm gonna start a meme about how DJ's using timetravel is cheating...... "REAL dj's use linear space-time"......... "if u using time-protals like these.... you trash"............ "all vinyl...... no singularities"

Heh heh... thanks mate.

I meant to say, yours sounds like a hybrid of Live at the BBQ and Beats to the Rhyme. It sounds dope the way you caught the end of the guitar part before the break kicks in.

That's a cool idea how you're cutting up over your own juggling and how it matches the edits in the vid. I'm tempted to give that a go myself when I get my shit sorted.

Guest Symatic

dope joe!

I'm gonna start a meme about how DJ's using timetravel is cheating...... "REAL dj's use linear space-time"......... "if u using time-protals like these.... you trash"............ "all vinyl...... no singularities"

Heh heh... thanks mate.

I meant to say, yours sounds like a hybrid of Live at the BBQ and Beats to the Rhyme. It sounds dope the way you caught the end of the guitar part before the break kicks in.

That's a cool idea how you're cutting up over your own juggling and how it matches the edits in the vid. I'm tempted to give that a go myself when I get my shit sorted.

yeah live at the bbq is kinda what i was emulating. when i first got hold of doubles of that break on one of the sentences on Ultimate Cakes & Sweets i figured that's how they sampled it - just kinda double up the 2nd kick drum before the keys make that awesome BLOOO BLEEEEE noise.... one of the reasons its such a perfect break in my opinion. theres loads of bits in the tune you can do that with to keep bob's incessant keyboard playing from becoming a distraction.

The guitar bit you mentioned is purely functional - i drop it on the previous snare so i have time to set up the double kicks.

My original plan was to come up with something using the melodic parts but i couldnt settle on a favourite bit so i went with the classic :)

@ Broma

Dude you have the makings of something real nice there and the melodies youve used are actually really strong in my opinion

I would say maybe add another beat to break up the pattern slightly and a do a little more to the arrangement and i think it would suit the music even better

The vocal bit at around 01.30 also sounded cool btw

I might be on to something boys. Off to a baseball game, so I'll listen to see if it's worth turning in to any thing when I get back. If it's shite I'll just ditch it coz seems like you got a lot of entries already.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Good stuff Broma im pleased youre gonna let us hear what youve recorded and hopefully Psyche and Doob will submit something too which would be cool

Unfortunately I'm going to have pass on this battle Dan. I've got 8 different parts from both side A & B chopped up on the MPC but nothing is really jumping out screaming "Bob James would love to sue me for using this".

Hopefully I might get back to it at a later date and something clicks in the future, I pop it on the beat tape :)

Looking forward to the vote, there is some fire in here :)

• Like 1

@ Broma

Dude you have the makings of something real nice there and the melodies youve used are actually really strong in my opinion

I would say maybe add another beat to break up the pattern slightly and a do a little more to the arrangement and i think it would suit the music even better

The vocal bit at around 01.30 also sounded cool btw

Cheers mate. Nice to hear some positive feedback and suggestions too! Yeah I never got too far on the drums after coming up with the basic beat and I rushed an arrangement, or something like one last night.

It's been really good though just smashing something out and not being too precious about it. All the others are bang on so I was a bit hesitant about putting mine up but fuck it ;) Been ages since I just loaded up some samples and got chopping and experimenting. Props to Rock Well for picking the records and making it happen :)

• Like 1

Broma - I finally had alisten last night and I think you've done a really good job. You've just got a really nice vibe going on there. Like Dan, I'd probably beef up the drums a bit somehow if I was doing it myself... But, at the same time, I'm not sure if it's needed either - I've been digging quite a lot of beats lately with softer, more organic sounding drums.

Either way, I'm really glad you got involved and enjoyed doing it. That's gotta be the real point of these 'battles'!

• Like 1

How many cheaters have we got this round?

I failed three drugs tests, but the court of arbitrations turned one over because they cpuldn' work out if it was MDMA or Amphetimine, oh and i'm British not Russian, so i am still allowed to ride my bike !!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I wouldn't worry about cheaters this round Deft, I rather be worried about a knock at the door from Bob James solicitor issusing you a copyright infringement notice mate ;)

• Like 2

dope joe!

Heh heh... thanks mate.

yeah live at the bbq is kinda what i was emulating. when i first got hold of doubles of that break on one of the sentences on Ultimate Cakes & Sweets i figured that's how they sampled it - just kinda double up the 2nd kick drum before the keys make that awesome BLOOO BLEEEEE noise.... one of the reasons its such a perfect break in my opinion. theres loads of bits in the tune you can do that with to keep bob's incessant keyboard playing from becoming a distraction.

The guitar bit you mentioned is purely functional - i drop it on the previous snare so i have time to set up the double kicks.

My original plan was to come up with something using the melodic parts but i couldnt settle on a favourite bit so i went with the classic :)

It's crazy how many things you can do with that break. I like the bit Babu cuts up in Comprehension. Those drums are str7 dirt.