BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Bob's gonna be pissed!

DJ Rock Well

We all know how Bob James can be about people sampling Nautilus, imagine how cross he'd get if he found out we're about to take apart the whole album! ;)

Nah seriously, going back to my idea of these challenges being a self-contained year long project, I though it would be good to flip one classic. As we're doing albums and this one has been hit up on so many classics, it seemed like fair game. Plus, I once read a 9th Wonder interview where he said that every beat maker should try and flip Nautilus at least once and I never have so...

The wavs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0i0s4mih23va73/nautilus%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts (may be frowned upon though :d), vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Tuesday, August the 2nd.

And FFS, nobody mention this to Bob!

• Like 1

Seriously !!!!! you pull out Bob James and it isn't Shamboozie aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Bob James is one of my favourite artists (Fuck him, i will sample him whenever i want, i ain't got shit for him to take haha) but strangely enough, Nautilus is one of my least favourite tunes haha

• Like 3

You bastard Rock Well ... :d

I AM BORROWING MY SONS MPC RIGHT NOW !

@ Flexi

"Bob James is one of my favourite artists ,fuck him ill sample him when I want "

FLOL :d

• Like 2

Nautilus is one of my favourite tunes ever. It's also one of the the first tracks I ever flipped. I haven't got the project to hand but I remember the bit I used.

Unfortunately it's not going to happen because I need to replace my Mac and that's going to happen anytime soon. So I'm going to have to bow out of this one (again).

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Dope pick Rocky, unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on this months battle fellas. Got to rebuild and fix my MPC 2500, plus I've restarted work on a little beat mixtape project that is well over due as I keep picking it up, putting it down and generally putting it off.

Looking forward to seeing what dopeness you guys flip :8

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Well thats random as fuck..... I just got doubles of bob james - one!

Looks like a beat juggle is required

• Like 3

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Well thats random as fuck..... I just got doubles of bob james - one!

Looks like a beat juggle is required

Bobs going to be super pissed when he finds out and will no doubt demand that DV is shut down if you do that ;)

Plus that kind of ill behaviour is frowned upon in these parts

• Like 1

Im in on this Bob James sample challenge

ive managed to borrow some kit to record on at the weekend and will hopefully have enough time to get something going and submit it for the battle

• Like 1

You're right ! It absolutely was the breaking point for me Rock :d

there was no way on earth i was gonna miss this battle so ive borrowed a Roland 404 and a 303 sampler and a laptop for it

And the good news is that the kit is coming tomorrow so ill get to use it a day earlier than I was expecting it which is great

• Like 1

I did my track this weekend and ive really enjoyed making it

Its the first time in about ten years that ive done any beatmaking or recording and it was a lot of fun i must confess

Ive taken mine as far as i could owing to time restrictions as i only had the use of the samplers for a couple of days - a week would have been ideal tbh but it made me work a lot quicker than normal because of the time limitations which was also good in its own way

I will sort out a Soundcloud thingy and post up in the next day or two

Yeah, top work Dan. I'm chuffed that this has inspired you to get back on the chops!

I made a start myself yesterday. I think I've done it the wrong way round as I decided what sort of beat i wanted to make regardless of source material and I'm now busy shoehorning my daft ideas together. Plus, I've just caught a cold and my hearing is a bit variable at the minute.

#excuses

• Like 1

I've been chopping things up. Trying to use Ableton again instead of the MPC which is still clunky but I think I'm gonna have some N3X7 L3V3L insane shit that would make Bob's blood boil. The samples are pretty intimidating... it being such a well known source and all.

• Like 2

Cool Broma, i look forward to hearing your beats mate

Great to know that Dirk is also back in battle mode as i really liked your last efforts with Ableton in the challenge a few months ago..make Bobs blood boil Dirk and feed him to "the toadmen"!

My own mix was finished on Sunday and will be posted up by this weekend, when ive had a bit more time to sort my Soundcloud link out

• Like 1