BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - The Drummer's Own Album

Not really a surprise for anybody following the 'GOAT Drum Breaks' thread and I almost snaffled this one away for myself, but it's too good not to use for this. Besides, more and more I think it's more about how you use a sample than just the sample itself.

When you're digging for samples, nothing makes the spidey-sense tingle like a drummer's own album. Often pretty iffy on many levels, usually with a few other musician friends roped in out of duty (Ian Paice on congas in this case!), but always bound to feature drums to the fore on some level.

This is Pete York's (the drummer from The Spencer Davis Group) first solo outing, the 1972 Decca LP with studio band called The Pete York Percussion Band. It didn't even have an album title, nobody bought it and as such it's bloody scarce now. He's not the tightest of drummers, but he's pretty inventive IMO. Plus this is full vanity project mode - pretty much every track has some open drums or percussion, breaks and solos. Some tracks even have unnecessary drum solos in the middle of songs. Providing you don't mind getting busy chopping stuff up from solos, etc, there's loads on here to get busy with... I could revisit this one many times. Apart from percussion, there's actually some other good sounds on here too.

Here's the wavs...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4o0vpcc6d1dzsu/peteyorklp%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Tuesday, June the 28th.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Nice one Rock Well, on the D/L now mate. Hopefully I will get sometime this month to get something together :)

• Like 1

I'm definitely in this time round - last night I started selecting bits to possibly use and then stumbled upon the start of something as well. It's a bit weird and could end up going a couple of different ways, but you know, a start of anything is better than a start of nothing!

Im going to miss out on this one I'm afraid.

Am trying to get to grips with Ableton so might be going into hiding for a few weeks / months.

Shame as is a sick record.

Cheers for the upload. Will be using the breaks in this for sure.

Im going to miss out on this one I'm afraid.

Am trying to get to grips with Ableton so might be going into hiding for a few weeks / months.

Shame as is a sick record.

Cheers for the upload. Will be using the breaks in this for sure.

Surely this is a good opportunity to practice?

Set this up in your Ableton, it makes slicing way better (more like MPC and maschine):

Here's how you layer:

Fayc - what Doob said! Nah, up to you really mate - I'm the worst for not learning the new stuff I should because I'm always busy with the old stuff.

What did you make your previous beats on then? I always assumed to were on Ableton, because erm... because you're Doob's mate and he uses it. I realise that makes no sense whatsoever!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Hard one to chop up as there is so much dopeness on here but I've stumbled upon a loop that is very catchy and very chessy lmao

• Like 1

Yeah, I know what you mean mate. After sifting through this record and coming up with enough bits to make several beats, I was thinking of doing a track that was like a mini breaks mix full of left turns and different drums, etc. Then I got sidetracked in another different direction, but one day in the future I might still try and make like a 10 min track full of lots of little sections from this record, the drums at least.

• Like 1

Fayc - what Doob said! Nah, up to you really mate - I'm the worst for not learning the new stuff I should because I'm always busy with the old stuff.

What did you make your previous beats on then? I always assumed to were on Ableton, because erm... because you're Doob's mate and he uses it. I realise that makes no sense whatsoever!

Just used machine and used ableton at very end for a little bit of mastering to try boot some shit. most the time was all in machine.

ableton is taking over my whole brain but loving it.

Good on you mate. I can't listen to your's or any others til I've wrapped my one!

Flexinoodle - I don't know how it fits into your plans for what you wanted to do, but a beat on its own is still fine. There are no rules what the final production should be and most entries are just straight beats. Don't know if this helps, but it's bought is put it out there!