Auto Flare tutorial please.

Kutmandu

Hello All,

I'm new to the forums here and I have been learning to scratch for a little over 5 months now. I really want to learn this scratch if anyone is able to help me with it?

My boomerangs and one, two click flares are pretty consistent and I've finally got my head around the boom flare and would love to give the auto flare a try.

I have seen a youtube video of someone killing it with the auto flare but I'm not really following the ttm and his movements are too fast for me to catch what he's doing.

Thanks.

Thanks for that but that was the youtube video I was having trouble understanding what he was doing. I also have trouble understanding the notation as I'm still relatively new to the scratch scene.

Can someone maybe elaborate more on the hand movements and if it starts off open or closed? Thanks.

This combo is pretty advanced - especially for the time you've been scratching so far. But maybe you can work it out and you progress very quickly. :)

It's a 12-note-scratch and the fader click rhythm goes like this ("C" is click and "-" is no click, spaces are there to show the triplets)

C-C C-C C-C C-C

Not sure, if it that's easier for you but maybe regard it as an open fader scratch and start with the Baby - the first click is the last click but if you omit it at first it might be easier to get the 2-Click fader movement going.

So the rhythm of the fader is like a Boomerang or a 2-Click-Orbit but not started on the downbeat. Maybe, you'd like to work on delayed Orbits first (as always, check Chile's youtube).

What makes this combo really difficult is the record movement, so practice it slowly at first without the fader.

Hope this was helpful in one way or another. :)

As an oldschool head picking up new scratches, I'm stoked you asked this question! Dope combo I wasn't aware of but that feels a lot more natural than the boom flare or broken orbits. This made my day - thanks!

Edit: I'd add that learning scratch notation should probably be priority #1 (imo) as it's pretty simple and offers much needed insight to sometimes intricate and indecipherable Youtube vids. Just my $0.02

Edited by MysteryV
  • Like 1

@mfsop: Thanks for breaking it down homie this will definitely help me, thanks.

I honestly don't think you should be learning this after 5 months... It's like trying to learn to do a backflip before you can ski parallel. I dunno, maybe you're a prodigy though.

True. I did cover the basic/foundation scratches but found it kind of boring to me, so I looked at other scratch techniques and found the slow autobahn to be the first real scratch that I learnt. You can say I was obsessed with getting it right and now I can bust it out consistently with good flow and speed. It's like my 'go to' scratch haha.

From there, I took on the boomerang and then the delayed flare (which is now my favourite). The boom flare is what I'm currently trying to get a hang of and I can get about 4-5 reps on beat before I mess up lol.

It's way too advanced for a beginner; I almost feel like we're being trolled.

Haha...not trying to troll anyone. 'tis a legit question but you may be right in it being too advanced for me but what the hay eh!? No harm in giving it a go...the worst that could happen is I throw my turntable and mixer out the window lol,

Edited by Kutmandu

Guest broke

Develop a base of strong fundamentals, that's the best piece of advice I can give you. Your ability to express yourself through clean, funky, simpler cuts will sound so much better than a bunch of sloppy, overly technical stuff. I see it at nearly every scratch session.

But if you're set on getting the boom flare down, try approaching it as the first part of an auto/boomerang followed by three directions of whatever you call the two-click version of the (badly-named) tug job scratch

• Like 1

@mfsop: Thanks for breaking it down homie this will definitely help me, thanks.

I honestly don't think you should be learning this after 5 months... It's like trying to learn to do a backflip before you can ski parallel. I dunno, maybe you're a prodigy though.

True. I did cover the basic/foundation scratches but found it kind of boring to me, so I looked at other scratch techniques and found the slow autobahn to be the first real scratch that I learnt. You can say I was obsessed with getting it right and now I can bust it out consistently with good flow and speed. It's like my 'go to' scratch haha.

From there, I took on the boomerang and then the delayed flare (which is now my favourite). The boom flare is what I'm currently trying to get a hang of and I can get about 4-5 reps on beat before I mess up lol.

It's way too advanced for a beginner; I almost feel like we're being trolled.

Haha...not trying to troll anyone. 'tis a legit question but you may be right in it being too advanced for me but what the hay eh!? No harm in giving it a go...the worst that could happen is I throw my turntable and mixer out the window lol,

I know the feeling man, I think I did the same thing when I first started to scratch. I tried jumping on all these technical but more structured techniques (e.g. the autobahn) because if I did the combo I knew I did it 'right' it was rewarding.

The simpler cuts probably seem boring because you can't do them well (yet). There's literally a million different patterns you could do with stabs and transforms alone but simpler isn't always easier so you skip ahead to more technical scratches.

Any way it's up to you man, but I think you'll probably come to the same conclusion Broke and I are getting at once you go to scratch jam and realise everyone of a decent level can do Autobahns, boomerangs etc and they all sound kind of similar to one another.

But yeah, as long as you're having fun who cares :p

This combo is pretty advanced - especially for the time you've been scratching so far. But maybe you can work it out and you progress very quickly. :)

It's a 12-note-scratch and the fader click rhythm goes like this ("C" is click and "-" is no click, spaces are there to show the triplets)

C-C C-C C-C C-C

Not sure, if it that's easier for you but maybe regard it as an open fader scratch and start with the Baby - the first click is the last click but if you omit it at first it might be easier to get the 2-Click fader movement going.

So the rhythm of the fader is like a Boomerang or a 2-Click-Orbit but not started on the downbeat. Maybe, you'd like to work on delayed Orbits first (as always, check Chile's youtube).

What makes this combo really difficult is the record movement, so practice it slowly at first without the fader.

What do the drawn lines represent? 2 click orbits?

As an oldschool head picking up new scratches, I'm stoked you asked this question! Dope combo I wasn't aware of but that feels a lot more natural than the boom flare or broken orbits. This made my day - thanks!

Edit: I'd add that learning scratch notation should probably be priority #1 (imo) as it's pretty simple and offers much needed insight to sometimes intricate and indecipherable Youtube vids. Just my $0.02

Agreed!

C-C C-C C-C C-C

What do the drawn lines represent? 2 click orbits?

I think those lines represents sets of 2 clicks, to show how it rolls as a 2 click combo.

• 2 months later...

At my point of view this scratch is made by joining two modes of execution of "Delayed Orbit".

At first instance you have a Fast Autobahn of 6 sounds, not the Rafik's version of 9 sounds (the Fast Autobahn of 6 sounds is almost the same way of execution and sounding that a common Delayed Orbit but with the difference that the first and the second phase are reversed). At the second instance you have a common Delayed Orbit (to do this scratch you can take a Regular Orbit but applying the shift right to the pattern to start the Orbit at 5th phase. This is the reason why people name it as 'Delayed')

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another vision to understand this scratch is the exposed at José Rodríguez's video. You can think you insert a Reversed Orbit between the 4th and 5th phase of the Fast Autobahn.

Edited by pointadnb