Using effects when mixing hip hop

doppelkorn

I have been having a "gear geek" day watching loads of YouTube videos of various peices of technology I don't need and will never buy. In this vein, does anybody have any links to videos or sound files where a DJ is using effects in a hip-hop mix at all. I'd be curious to see what people might use...

Thanks love bugs x

seems to be. i like it though, it was subtle, but made a lot of difference.

the main way i'd use effects if i was going to, would be if i wanted to change style or direction in a mix i'd do an echo on the last bar (or first beat when the other song is brought in or wherever suitable)and start the other track playing. if i get chance i'll try and find an example at some point. hard to describe though cos i only ever occasionally use that sort of thing on a mixtape.

Playing with a phaser is a nice effect from time to time... Beat repeat is loads of fun, especially the 'loop roll' style looping that grabs a bit of audio and allows the song to carry on underneath so you can drop back in where you should be - very easy to overuse. Both those effects sort of emulate doubles techniques too, so they sound like a logical extension to most people's 'hip hop effects schema'. Another effect that's nice to use from time to time is a full low/hi pass filter, and delay is always a giggle...

i remember when the allen & heath xone mixers first came out. the filter effect on them got kained to death in the dnb scene. almost to the point where if u use filter now its met badly.

effects are good fun when they are new, but i think need to be used sparsely

If I'm using fx when mixing I'll use a hi pass filter on the deck mixing out, sometimes a delay/echo on the track mixing out, sometimes looping with decreasing loop sizes (i.e. 1 bar 1/2 bar to 1/4 bar to 1/8 etc).

same here, just makes for nicer cleaner mixes with a little less of a change don't it?

If I'm using fx when mixing I'll use a hi pass filter on the deck mixing out, sometimes a delay/echo on the track mixing out, sometimes looping with decreasing loop sizes (i.e. 1 bar 1/2 bar to 1/4 bar to 1/8 etc).

same here, just makes for nicer cleaner mixes with a little less of a change don't it?

Agreed!