Photo

One of the episodes that I scored with scratch music is online :)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vekked

Vekked

BANNED!

• Elite Member
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

• DJ Rock Well likes this

Jimmy: (28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM) you really need to up your game now vekked. Jimmy: (28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM) set fire to tony prince or something this year.

#2 It'sPhilFromThursdays

It'sPhilFromThursdays
  • Elite Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

:(

#3 Vekked

Vekked

BANNED!

• Elite Member
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

:(

ughhh... well here's a clip that I spliced together for now:

https://www.instagra.../p/BX6GEp-Drxq/
  • honna and joeClockwork like this

Jimmy: (28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM) you really need to up your game now vekked. Jimmy: (28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM) set fire to tony prince or something this year.

#4 Chris

Chris

A friend to all men. Suspicious of women.

• Elite Member
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

Fuuuuck this is cool
Dooban - don't be afraid to talk freely... I'm sure nobody here would take the piss.

#5 Vekked

Vekked

BANNED!

• Elite Member
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

I tried to stay pretty true to "scratch music" and not just scratching a sound over a regular beat for the most part. Of course deadlines and post-production made it so this isn't the case but there's a lot of beats that are scratch drums/melody/sample/effects. They have all the stems though and sometimes they would mute layers depending on how much other audio was happening in the scene.

Also I wasn't allowed to use distinguishable english or copyrighted sounds so a lot of it I had to sound design myself or source sounds from friends/royalty free sample packs.

#6 It'sPhilFromThursdays

It'sPhilFromThursdays
  • Elite Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

Man, that's fucking cool, dude!

Congrats on getting such a dope gig.

This represents a continuation of what i like to call justice props, i.e. when Paul won the UK IDAs it was like, yeah, of course he won he deserves the recogniton for being the best at using traktor and having beast skills, ergo he's getting obviously deserved public props that he really should be getting, aka justice props.

You get to deserve shit like this cos you put in work and are talented.

= Justice props

• JHouse and danswift like this

#7 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

Yo!!!! I kept wondering what was up with this project. I was afraid it didn't pan out or something but boooyahhh, there it is. This is crazy dope man! Propers!

#8 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

Man, that's fucking cool, dude!

Congrats on getting such a dope gig.

This represents a continuation of what i like to call justice props, i.e. when Paul won the UK IDAs it was like, yeah, of course he won he deserves the recogniton for being the best at using traktor and having beast skills, ergo he's getting obviously deserved public props that he really should be getting, aka justice props.

You get to deserve shit like this cos you put in work and are talented.

= Justice props

It's worth mentioning that Vekked advocated to make this happen with scratch composition. It's really cool what he did here.

#9 Vet

Vet
  • Elite Member
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but this is a first for the culture...a episodic tv show fully scored by a turntablist?

Also Jake did I catch that you said Kid Koala did the theme song as well?

Regardless of it being 'all scratched' you did a great job man, something to be well proud of!

#10 d00ban

d00ban

Coolest Mom

• Elite Member
  • 6,004 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Really good bro! Scratching suits the cartoon format a lot really when you think about it.

www.djdooban.com

#11 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Yes!! This is so good. I like the way the music regularly changes within the same scene and I like the FX, such as the transformed tone to get a metal detector sound. 

This is a positive step for the artform and yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the first to do it. Looking forward to seeing the full version.

Big up yourself!

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#12 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

Any other legal way of watching this dude? Such a dope project!

#13 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Fucking dope Jake!

Unless it get's taken down, this one works

• danswift likes this

#14 It'sPhilFromThursdays

It'sPhilFromThursdays
  • Elite Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Untitled.jpg

Man, you did an absolutely awesome job!!! Really impressive. Nice one.

#15 Vekked

Vekked

BANNED!

• Elite Member
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Thank guys :)

Yo!!!! I kept wondering what was up with this project. I was afraid it didn't pan out or something but boooyahhh, there it is. This is crazy dope man! Propers!

Haha nope I was grinding the whole time but they got a bit stricter on what we could talk/post about so I was pretty quiet. I probably said a bit too much at the start lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but this is a first for the culture...a episodic tv show fully scored by a turntablist?

Also Jake did I catch that you said Kid Koala did the theme song as well?

Regardless of it being 'all scratched' you did a great job man, something to be well proud of!

If it's not I wish I knew because all I really had for reference was Wavetwisters (which was a pretty good reference since this cartoon is also set in space).

Yep Kid Koala did the theme ages ago while it was still a pilot and before it was picked up fully. I imagine they didn't have the budget to get him for the entire season, hence me lol. I did a theme as well before I knew they already had it, I might post it eventually if I get permission (it ended up being used in other parts of the show).

#16 Vekked

Vekked

BANNED!

• Elite Member
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

Fucking dope Jake!

Unless it get's taken down, this one works

Good find! Haha that's dope that someone like it enough to rip it from the TV and upload it. That one has the logos from the station and such. Would be sick if it got picked up for season 2 because then it has a chance of going international.

#17 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

The theme tune's dope!

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#18 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yeah,this is cool as fuck.

Top stuff dude and i totally echo what Phil said regarding the 'Justice Props' comment !
Symatic on O9 May 2016-08.49 PM said
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???
https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

#19 Jon

Jon

Oh HAI Wax0N btw!

• Elite Member
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

w0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

#20 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

FWIW for about the last ten years apart from running the record shop I've been building up an online presence for our mail order business 'Backtrack', which just sells film and TV music... to the point where many weeks I do more of that than anything else. In that time it's made me acutely aware of music in films/TV - it's job, how successful it is, techniques deployed by different composers, etc. I've got to say on that level, you've really nailed it. You're not just making some detached music which has been randomly shoehorned in as an afterthought, you've properly scored each scene. Your music clearly directs the audience and matches the action throughout and overall just gives everything a slightly cooler vibe.

Also, if you ever fancy getting really nerdy about the process of doing this project from your perspective, I'd be keen to read it. Stuff like how much music you actually made to source from, any specific challenges along the way, and things like wether you had to be tighter than on live stuff, did this process improve your skill levels elsewhere, etc. (The last two are very much from my own very limited experience of trying to make scratch music or record others doing so)
  • danswift likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users