DV Italian 70s Cop Movie Beat Battle - VOTE!

DJ Rock Well

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the winner?

• Darcyd
    • Phology
    • Fayc
    • Petesasqwax
    • Doob/Forayem
    • Rock Well
    • Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Darcyd

Phology

Fayc

Petesasqwax

Doob/Foyarem

Rock Well

Psychedelic Schizophrenic

The usual timeline applies - I'll end the vote in a week and post up a new LP very soon after!

# 1: Petesasqwax - you totally rinsed it with the sample manipulations IMO mate,I kept thinking this is so good.. but theres no drums , but then of course in come the beats and bang! our prayers were answered, I absolutley loved this mix Pete

# 2:Rock Well-ahh this is the third time in a row ive chose you in second place,(sorry bout that Rock ) again this was really good and the ideas were really on point all round but as you said yourself you needed more time to spend on it..but nonetheless i always like how you come up with something thats so different to everyone elses style so convince me next time !

# 3: Darcyd-ive got to give props for this entry from you mate,I was impressed with the fact that you said you'd not done anything like this before so fair play to you for that,keep developing what youre doing and I can see you winning a few of these future battles man

the other mixes that were entered didnt really do it for me personally

but major respect to everyone for entering and better luck next time

Bring on the next one !

• Like 1

Whap. My vote goes to Rockwell. Your track gave me the most head nod. I was also really appreciating the cuts, that's always a great way to win me over.

Props to all for entering, huge range of flavours, and something to enjoy and learn from each track.

• Like 2

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Fuck you guys! i can't decide between any of you! All equally good. Fuck! How dare you al! I shall assign you two points to al of you and hufflepuff instead.

Can't they all win and aren't we indeed the true winners here in that we got to hear some sweet tune? Music's not competition, maaaaan!!!!!!!!! (except in cases like this when it is)

Matt, nice to hear how yours morphed from last Thursday(PhilFrom), with cuts redone and to now see it's got sweet, sweet ragga toasting all up on it. Did you guys manage to kop some accapellas? And if so, do us pls.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

In a classic case of being an complete dyslexic fuckwit I uploaded the wrong version of my submission :(( So instead of my final mixed version we ended up with the 3am cant count for shit version, check the timing at the beginning ;) :((

Guest petesasqwax

Phology for me with Pete a veeeery close second - you should be doing soundtracks mate!

Funny you should say that - I'm currently working on sample-free material for a couple of library music companies. Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 2

Same as above pholo for me. Think he killed it and the drums just grabbed me.

Rock second again. When the vocal drops at the end it gets me but on the while not as good as phology.

Sick battle all round again though guys. Think me and Dooban may avoid a bitch fight on this round too.

• Like 2

I went for Pho too. I'm into super loose drums and I think he nailed them just right in this one. Like I said in the other thread, smashed it.

Well done everyone else! Fayc's still came with the super heavy shit, which I liked.

Fair play to Darcy too, a stella first effort for sure!

• Like 1

I had to go with Pete this month. I've long been a fan or 70's synth film scores (Goblin, Carpenter, etc) and he totally nailed that sound. Many have tried and failed, but I really couldn't tell that wasn't made in the 70s or at least on all the gear they used (musical not nasal).

Otherwise, sterling work all round! I agree with the all the love Phology's beat is getting too. It sounds very modern in a good way, perhaps the drums were just a tiny bit loose for me though... I realise that's probably more about what a 90s throwback I am rather than even creative criticism though.

I be gotta give love to Darcy too. Not just because he learnt basic production skills just for this battle and smashed it first time, but because his efforts inspired me to get out of my own comfort zone and drop some cuts and vocals on mine.

Thanks for the kind words, votes and 'second place mentions' I got too. Really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

This battle was tighter then a nunnery to vote for just one winner, everyone that entered deserved my vote as IMO you all did a stellar job. After much umming and ahhing on who to vote for the last six days, I've eventually narrowed it down and ended up choosing between 2 beats.

#1 - Petesasqwax - Really enjoyed the unusual but funky 70's style quirkiness you brought to this track. Really loved how you brought your dope character to the battle with subtle colouring the of loop with the guitar loop pedals, then when I fought it couldn't get any better you blow my mind with the dope drums mate. Really couldn't find anything that I didn't like about this track, so you got my vote mate, well done :8

I reckon if someone handed Pete a dictaphone off someone having a major anal prolapse, he could sample the shit out of it and make a years worth of dope music from it.

#2 - Rock Well - Really enjoyed the beat a nice funky head nodder and the smooth cuts were the icing on the cake. I really liked it mate, well done! I know you said on the sample challenge thread that you haven't cut on DVS or normal speed records for yonks since you have became an ultra pitch bitch ;) I found with a normal speed 33 and a third rpm record that you could of put it on 45rpm and whack the pitch on minus 60 as you can achieve a similar ultra pitch vibe mate, maybe worth experimenting with it.

• Like 2

Darcyd was who did it to me. Crushed it. Beat was on point. Little teaser bring in. Some dope spacey drums. Beautifully arranged with a nice linear feel.

Pho really sick. Reminded me of Redman's early production stylistically.

Fayc your drums were booming.

Pete yours was really nice beat and great texture to it but the lead in was a bit long for me.

Fucking Doob. A real boom bap head nodder. Was like The Alchemist crossed with Pete Rock. This is so up my alley.

Rocks really made me smile. So fresh and funky. Uplifting. Reminded me of a Paul Nice mixtape. This was probably my #2.

Psych, Amazing track. Reminded me of Prince Paul a lot especially with the dialogue over the top. This was also tied for #2 for me.

Really good stuff. All around (as has become the norm) fantastic work fells. I need to get back in on the next one. Been busy with some etching and lost track on the DV battle as a result. Maybe a Prince themed one next month? :8

• Like 4

Rocks really made me smile. So fresh and funky. Uplifting. Reminded me of a Paul Nice mixtape. This was probably my #2.

Cheers dude. Not for calling me a number two, but for the mixtape comment. This was definitely a concious decision - I've been talking about how I'd like to put together a kind of classic 90s style multi tracked mixtape type thing out of my own beats, augmented with samples, vocals, cuts, etc. Once I realised that all I had really for this beat was a drums and bass loop and that I was going to augment it with cuts, I was totally imagining this to be like the beginning of a mixtape. I really SHOULD make it one day!

• Like 1

Cheers dude. Not for calling me a number two, but for the mixtape comment. This was definitely a concious decision - I've been talking about how I'd like to put together a kind of classic 90s style multi tracked mixtape type thing out of my own beats, augmented with samples, vocals, cuts, etc. Once I realised that all I had really for this beat was a drums and bass loop and that I was going to augment it with cuts, I was totally imagining this to be like the beginning of a mixtape. I really SHOULD make it one day!

Sounds good mate!

i've sat down twice to listen again & comment on all the beats & have been distracted by people both times so i'm gonna leave the constructive criticism for this one :) (i don't wanna turn off the new radiohead album, it's so lush)

Pete's was my fav & got my vote but everyone here has some serious production skills!

I needa up my game after hearing those... fkkkkk!

So many different style & tastes too, it's great!