BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - 70s Italian Cop Movie

DJ Rock Well

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I've heard a rumour that some people use a thing called Soundcloud :rolleyes:

Whoa..... Wait.... Urgh :o

People are summoning clouds of sound?!?!? Please enlighten me on this intriguing ritual as I would like to summon a soundcloud over my house

• Like 1

I probs shoulda left some notes about my beat..

I had about 3 different tracks on the go but scrapped all them to start again. I only added an extra layer of a kick and vocal stuff, everything else comes from the record.

Props again for the record selection! Some dope samples on there, enough to make another track but I don't have the time.

Looking forward to checking out everyone else's - I usually wait until voting to listen.

Guest petesasqwax

I haven't finished mine, but, since I was up til the early hours abusing my ear drums and sanity with it, I'm going to talk about it anyway.

I took a stab from the end of one of the tracks, slowed it down an octave and then made a 2 bar loop with it droning it a bit (first bar - standard sample -12 semtones, second bar -9 semitones or some shit like that). Speeding up the track to make the loop work properly made my nosebleed (that shit was over 100bpms, yo!) so I rendered it and slowed it the fuck back down to something like 86. Then I recorded 10 minutes of it looping onto a tape and played it back into the PC via a gang of guitar pedals and shit like that. I filtered all the top end from the original loop so that it was more or less all bass frequencies and put the fucked up tape/pedal shite over the top, fucked with some more filters and effects and called it a night.

I'm going back in this evening. Why? BECAUSE IF I DON'T DO THIS RANDOM FUCKED UP SHIT, WHO THE FUCK ELSE WILL?

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Hehe - it's the most accurate quote about me ever written & I absolutely intend to use it on some form of press one-sheet one day :d

• Like 1

Phology - I'm glad you liked the record mate! I keep trying to find LPs with a few options to keep it interesting (my whole reason for using LPs instead of just one song TBH). I try not to listen to everybody else's if I'm entering too... although I did listen to Darcy's cos I thought I was out this month when I did.

Actually, I'm glad I did as it kind of gave me the motivation to leave my comfort zone and actually record some cuts as I've been nagging myself to do for a while now. It's really not that pretty as I'm well out of practice and I've barely touched DVS or even normal pitch records for a couple of years now (I've become a proper ultra-pitch bitch), but I figured the only way to get better is to get on with it! If Darcy can teach himself the basics of music production just for his entry and smash it in the process, it's definitely time for me to man up and crack on with the things that require effort I've been avoiding. Also, if I can't share stumbling attempts to learn new stuff here, where can I share them!

Apologies for waffling on about stuff I haven't posted or even finished yet, but in my defence... Pete started it!

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Apologies for waffling on about stuff I haven't posted or even finished yet, but in my defence... Pete started it!

That's not a valid defence, man, regardless of how factual it may or may not be!

• Like 1

Phology, that's a sick beat man. Loving the intro too. One day I'll enter one of these, or at least have a play with these dope samples. The quality is so high it's pretty intimidating :huh:

• Like 3

Phology, that's a sick beat man. Loving the intro too. One day I'll enter one of these, or at least have a play with these dope samples. The quality is so high it's pretty intimidating :huh:

Definitely join in mate! It's fun and it's good to have to try and get something done. For me, it's forced me to learn little things each time. Even if I haven't hit on something I really like or even finished a beat, it's all been good experience.

If you haven't already, help yourself to the samples from the previous battle threads if you fancy.

cheers mate! you should defo enter

• Like 1

Here's my beat (if someone can sort out the player embed please+thank you!)

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' data-cke-saved-href='http://middletownsounds.bandcamp.com/album/digital-vertigo-beat-battle-sample-challenge'href='http://middletownsounds.bandcamp.com/album/digital-vertigo-beat-battle-sample-challenge'>Digital Vertigo - Beat Battle Sample Challenge by Phology</a>

Wow.

I finished my beat this morning so took a listen and you smashed it mate!

Well played.

• Like 1

shucks! thanks d00b!

im happy with it but am always self critical, like i can always add or change something. sometimes you gotta just say "it's done". the thing i like about these battles is the deadlines.

look forward to checking yours out!

• Like 1

im happy with it but am always self critical, like i can always add or change something. sometimes you gotta just say "it's done". the thing i like about these battles is the deadlines.

Couldn't agree more about the deadlines. This post just made me say fuck it! and just bounce mine down. Uploading now.

• Like 1