Rane 72

Serato DJ has to run on something, and it's not the Seventy Two.

Is this real? Toltech was the one holding the new fader stem as though he has a good relationship with Rane...

I'm working on the basis that it's all bollocks until there's a press release from Rane.

• Like 2

I expect true standalone mixer and digital turntable from Pioneer. It seems thud rumble as mixer and for the turntable I expect something like tour series or like numark dashboard to add between your S9 and PLX...

I expect people who think a standalone DVS is something a company would invest R/D in is mad, but then it is the sort of thing i would release, so what the fuck do i know !

I've never really understood the desire to have a standalone mixer with a computer inside it - surely updating it with tracks would be a massive ballache, even if it was a removable tablet style device? same with transporting it to shows - only you could use it...

UNLESS it was a club install where you could just plug in an external hard drive to load in your playlists etc so multiple DJs could just rock up with a usb and be ready to go, which is pretty much how modern Pioneer DJ CDJs/XDJs function, albeit with a different software interface and the screens are on the media players rather than the mixer. I could see that being really popular :) Is that what you guys would like to see?

I expect true standalone mixer and digital turntable from Pioneer. It seems thud rumble as mixer and for the turntable I expect something like tour series or like numark dashboard to add between your S9 and PLX...

I expect people who think a standalone DVS is something a company would invest R/D in is mad, but then it is the sort of thing i would release, so what the fuck do i know !

I've never really understood the desire to have a standalone mixer with a computer inside it - surely updating it with tracks would be a massive ballache, even if it was a removable tablet style device? same with transporting it to shows - only you could use it...

UNLESS it was a club install where you could just plug in an external hard drive to load in your playlists etc so multiple DJs could just rock up with a usb and be ready to go, which is pretty much how modern Pioneer DJ CDJs/XDJs function, albeit with a different software interface and the screens are on the media players rather than the mixer. I could see that being really popular :) Is that what you guys would like to see?

I look at this way. If an MPC2000/SP 1200, etc. required a computer to work, nobody would be using them anymore because they'd be reliant on an antiquated computer's operating system, etc to run their samplers. For the most part the samplers are still working fine, but if reliant on a computer, most of the computers from that age are toast. Also, at some point the software stops getting supported and your new computer won't run the old stuff. So, you end up having to ditch a perfectly good piece of hardware because nobody could be bothered to support it on the computer side anymore.

The laptop component also causes a lot problems because it throws a variable into the system. Go on the Serato forums and see how many people complain about shit not working because they updated something or another. Its super-hard to figure out what the problem is because it could pretty much be anything with the laptop. The nice thing about stand-alone, dedicated hardware is that it tends to work correctly out of the box and as long as you have the gear (and it doesn't break), you're going to be able to use it.

My perspective on this is kind of skewed because I like vintage gear and I tend to like working with hardware over software.

• Like 1

I look at this way. If an MPC2000/SP 1200, etc. required a computer to work, nobody would be using them anymore because they'd be reliant on an antiquated computer's operating system, etc to run their samplers. For the most part the samplers are still working fine, but if reliant on a computer, most of the computers from that age are toast. Also, at some point the software stops getting supported and your new computer won't run the old stuff. So, you end up having to ditch a perfectly good piece of hardware because nobody could be bothered to support it on the computer side anymore.

The laptop component also causes a lot problems because it throws a variable into the system. Go on the Serato forums and see how many people complain about shit not working because they updated something or another. Its super-hard to figure out what the problem is because it could pretty much be anything with the laptop. The nice thing about stand-alone, dedicated hardware is that it tends to work correctly out of the box and as long as you have the gear (and it doesn't break), you're going to be able to use it.

My perspective on this is kind of skewed because I like vintage gear and I tend to like working with hardware over software.

100% agree with that. It has always seemed a false economy to have to get a laptop and then rely on that for your gear to work. A standalone piece of hardware may not always have the flexibility/features of software but it has stability and reliability and will work long after the next new thing has come and gone.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

The nice thing about stand-alone, dedicated hardware is that it tends to work correctly out of the box and as long as you have the gear (and it doesn't break), you're going to be able to use it.

A standalone piece of hardware may not always have the flexibility/features of software but it has stability and reliability and will work long after the next new thing has come and gone.

You guys are kinda missing the point - this isn't aimed at people transitioning from standalone solutions like CDJs or even vinyl. It's aimed at people who already use laptops+DVS regularly, are comfortable with it, and want a more robust physical solution than the (let's face it) dodgy hack that timecode vinyl is.

• Like 1

I expect isn't I want. Even the twelve or new mixer are out of what I wanted time ago.

I expect Pioneer delivering the "demanded" standalone turntable with midi cappabilities (and probably screen) that cdx/hdx fail to be. Another option is something like dashboard with integrated soundcard and usb hub and NUC guts to let users plug turntables or controllers. Rekord-ina-box.

Atm if I get someday a way to change the cd drive of cdx into something more actual and less chunky I will be fine. Probably I will install whatever it becomes make two ziggazaggas and sell it due I don't have mixer or similar.

The tool I will enjoy (maybe) will be a turntabled mpc and nowadays it could be done with a macmini+D2+traktor A6+turntable of your choice. Twelve or modded midi cdx could avoid some mess in the setup but adds some other in the building and maintenance (and price!). Since I will not tour with that (just for fun and producing at home) it doesn't worth the effort anymore. Probably my cdx will go to the trash sooner than later (with my stribes and lots of electronic junk and some broken dreams lol)

I'm feeling old for all this shit (brands releasing uberpriced old technology and people ranting about it but buying it in a breath most of the time).

I'm done.

I like how the published opinion (not the public opinion) of the hardware producer and/or online gearzines isen't corresponding with public opinion. I wonder what the Ruck is thinking too and what about Q-bert all-in-one-Mixer?

In the world we live in right now, take a step back and look where technology is... marvel at the small but powerful computer in every pocket, take note of the self-driving electric cars, etc, etc.

Then think about the idea of playing music to people via the 'cutting edge' technology of pressing a vinyl disc with ridges in its many grooves which makes a whining tone, which can then be played on a turntable featuring a precariously balanced tone arm with a diamond and a tiny amplifier on it that picks up the signal and sends it to an interface (in or out of a mixer) which can send it to a computer which can use all its processing power to to use the tone information to tell it how and when to play a small audio file via sending back to the conversion interface and/or mixer. It's fucking retarded!!!

Yes, we can explain how and why this came to be. But in the grand scheme of things it's a weird little anomaly, an odd historical cul-de-sac they'll one day teach future generations about as some folly that clearly wasn't the answer but eased the transition between two established technologies.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Your guess is as good as anyones considering the 72 is yet to be released.

On the surface the 72 has the S9 over a barrel - added screen and 3 high quality faders all the way round compared to the S9 one.

But what's yet to be learnt with the 72 is construction quality and how good are the 72 fx, the S9 fx are fucking immense, build is to from my understanding.

One serato based weak point on the 72 is that serato' fx aren't post fade which is a bit of joke imo, a mixer with that price tag should have every option going let alone being locked on a shit pre fade fx option. So with the software fx being semi limited on the 72 the built in fx need to be top notch, gotta funny feeling this is where the S9 might be better option for some, especially existing S9 owners.